Anyone grafting persimmons yet?

Have you used grafting rubbers instead of tape? I find they really improve my success. Of course, they won’t fit around a trunk being bark grafted.

I’ve used grafting rubbers on other types of grafts on other kinds of trees. I did use them on bark grafts when I first started. For bark grafting persimmons in the field, I switched to electrical tape because of the ease of use in the field especially on larger diameter trees. It has enough stretch to provide some of the same pressure characteristics as grafting rubbers. I did not notice a decrease in the number of grafts accepted when I switched.

4 Likes

I think I did 42 grafts this spring a few multiple on a tree and I will likely cull to one, but on a few of my trees that died in either of the 2 prior colder winters on some I left 2 or 3 regrowth from ground for multiple graft take chance. I have some multi-cultivar trees, but I have not tried a multi-trunk tree and might just leave a couple. I have never bothered with the foil, just bark graft with Parafilm and wide rubber bands for support. I think only very few not showing okay at this point and a couple were short 1 bud wood on a cultivar I really wanted success on (thanks Bob) , and wanted to stretch the scion. I was up last weekend at my cabin where some are at. I had not been there since I grafted well over a month ago and expected fail scion as the growth from rootstock had not been rubbed off. I did have ton of growth from below graft but surprising the graft all looked pretty good, but unless I make it there more often I expect to lose some if not all of those.

3 Likes

I grafted a back up JT-02 Hybrid next to the last year back up bark grafted Tam Kam on the 8 years old Nikita’s Gift.

Tony

2 Likes

Here is the update photo of my back up Hybrid Persimmons grafts: JT-02, Kassandra, and Rossyanka grafted on top of the weeping Knightville American persimmon tree.

Tony

7 Likes

How are your persimmon grafts doing?
Here is the recent picture of mine.

The tallest Prok in the middle is more than 3 feet tall with long side shoots. I was really surprised how fast they grow. And that the young growth is so tender, that it bends under its own weight.

6 Likes

Here’s my Lehman’s Delight union.

7 Likes

Very neat union :clap:

1 Like

Hybrid persimmon grafts

Tony

4 Likes

Tony,

So your local government allows you to plant fruit trees at the sidewalk? I’m puzzled and will be probing my village hall for that! :astonished:

You’re going to have fruits coming out of your ears very soon! And the neighbors definitely love you for that, unless they complaint about rotten fruits on the ground and “devalued” their properties!

Tom

My property is on the last lot and I had no neighbor on that side because of the driving range. So far no complaint.

Tony

You’re brave, my man!

Stopped by a nursery and found these 3 seedling persimmons for $6 each! I don’t think it’s too late to graft, I still have scionwood. Any thoughts?

3 Likes

Those are nice caliber understocks for a cheap price. Your grafts will take off just like a rocket on those understocks.

Tony

2 Likes

Anyone ever try summer budding on persimmon ? If so how did they do ? Thinking of trying it soon . I have nice new growth on both trees .

I would try a chip bud or at least a chip bud on the stock below your graft as a backup

Persimmons bud well. This time of year you can still force the bud to get some this season’s growth.

3 Likes

Tell me more about Knightville persimmon.

1 Like

My persimmon seedlings are still smaller than I’d like for grafting over. :joy: They only get part sun in my backyard.

Can’t wait for these things to get bigger.

I sent a few of these to @Greenguy. Maybe he’s having more success?

2 Likes

Grafted 4 kakis early June and two of them took.

Huk gam:

Tam kam

2 out 4 took and all cleft graft. First time grafter, thanks Bob for scion wood .

4 Likes