Atlantic giant pumpkin seeds

there is a guy in a nearby town that grows one every year to enter in a statewide competition. grows it in a big patch on his front lawn so everyone can see how its doing. took second last year at 442lb. would have got 1st this year but it cracked a week before the competition. in our short summer a 400+ lb pumpkin is definitely a feat! treats it like a newborn! :wink:

3 Likes

Yes that would take lots of work, I think they may like the longer days further north and cooler summers but you have to start them indoors and then move them to a cold frame

1 Like

yep. I’ve talked to him before. starts them in a greenhouse attached to his house a month before he puts them out. starts out with 10 then plants out the best 5. grows out 2 of the best to maturity.

1 Like

I planted two of the seeds from this pumpkin to see if they were viable. As you can see they sprouted just fine. I grew no other squash or pumpkins last summer when this was blooming and hand pollinated it so this crossed back to its self. I did not get very many seeds but I have the extra seeds in packages of five. I have three sets, if you would like a set of five seeds PM me .

5 Likes

Charlie was actually Charlette! Googled the name for you “The name Charlette is a French baby name. In French the meaning of the name Charlette is: Feminine of Charles meaning manly.”

3 Likes

Yes in deed Clark, a girl she was, lol. I guess I should have considered that when naming, I am terrible at naming things , I had a dog named dog and kept a pup out of him and named him pup dog

4 Likes

One packet of free seeds left

2 Likes

My nephew named his dog deowge for dog.

1 Like

@Derby42 Jason, I really like to read your pumpkin grow journey. I am inspired and grow pumpkin Big Moon this year. It can potentially grow up to 200 lb a small pumpkin compare to yours. But it will be giant for me if it indeed grow close to 200 lb. Mine pumpkin is about cantaloupe size now and it grows really fast. Vines are all over the place.

I have a question for you. Should I shorten the main vine, clip the tip off or let the main vine grow at this stage?
The main vine is about 12 feet long now. I have one Big Moon , rest are Hubbard.
They grow right to the left cross on the picture.

5 Likes

@Derby42

Hope all is well I’ve been wondering how you are doing? Interested to know how the pears and pumpkins are doing?

3 Likes

@Derby42

Will you grow anymore giants this year?

3 Likes

I don’t really have a spot for pumpkins here but the memories are priceless!

2 Likes

I couldn’t have done it without the seeds.

2 Likes

6 Likes

I enjoyed your thread on it in real time.

1 Like

Thank you Johnny, I really enjoyed growing it and sharing the progress with everyone here. When I was a boy I would look at gardening catalogs and the pictures of giant pumpkins with a little kid sitting on it always amazed me, I never thought i would be able to grow one myself.

2 Likes