Atlantic giant pumpkin seeds

I planted an Atlantic Giant Pumpkin about a month ago. Its doing well but I am not yet getting the massive vines shown in the previous pictures.

Just hoping to get a few decent sized pumpkins before the annual gray mold outbreak kills all my squash and pumpkin leaves.

3 Likes

Do you grow Atlantic giants every year?

1 Like

This is my first attempt at growing this cultivar. Actually this was an impulse buy when I was shopping for french tarragon at the local nursery about a month ago. It does seem to be very vigorous so I am thinking that it may also be a good rootstock for other melons.

4 Likes

I moved the pumpkin a little today and put an old piece of foam board under it to keep it off the damp ground and cushion it as it grows

7 Likes

As I recall, with pumpkins you age them by days after pollination, or DAP. So here is the pumpkin at 8 DAP. Looking healthy, it seems like ten or twelve days is the critical age for determining if the pumpkin was pollinated.

7 Likes

Fattening up

2 Likes

I think I need to put something by it so you can see the size. Maybe I will post another photo in a few days with something in the photo with the pumpkin

2 Likes

Here is today’s photo of my first fruit. We have had a blistering heatwave in Northern CA. for the past week and compared to the photo of four days ago this pumpkin is putting on size rather rapidly. Not sure if it is pollinated or if it will abort but it looks promising.

6 Likes

Here is the pumpkin tonight, getting about the size of a cantaloupe

7 Likes

Looking good!

3 Likes

Thanks john, it seems like you follow this thread , do you grow giant pumpkins?

2 Likes

I’ve grown pumpkins but not the giant ones. I like watching how fast your pumpkins grow. I’ve grown them on an arbor and tied parachutes to them. They even spread to a tree where the pumpkin got to about eight inches in dia. before falling. You have a great thread going here. It’s the next best thing to growing them.

4 Likes

I am glad you are enjoying it, I was kind of hoping you were an Atlantic giant expert, I have lots to learn no doubt . I probably should be on a pumpkin forum but I would rather spend my screen time here :smiley:

4 Likes

The pumpkin is heavy enough now that I can move it slightly every evening to further correct the angle of the stem, and is weight will hold it in place. Notice in the last photo how much closer I am getting the pumpkin stem to being at a right angle with the vine.

3 Likes

12 DAP , looking good , I think this is the one I am going keep for sure . It looked like it gained just in the last 24 hours. Here it is with a common plastic bucket in the photo to help show the size.

6 Likes

Great Post! Thanks

2 Likes

14 dap, I am no longer trying to move , just shading it from the sun. I hope the golf ball helps show the size.

5 Likes

Ah come on, bounce a basketball in there. Give it something to shoot for. Another week and it will pass the basketball.

3 Likes

I don’t own a basketball, lol, not my golf ball either, I grow stuff for a hobby :smiley:

3 Likes

Any others on the vine now?

2 Likes