Bagging plums with bread bags. Open to suggestions/comments

I saw Alcedo posted here using bread bags to bag individual fruit. So, I tried mass-bagging Shiro plums.

The bags were 10 by 14 or something like that. I cut them in half, length wise. I stapled the bags. Shiro plums are small. This may work. I wonder what you think. I ran out of bag so need to get more.

2 Likes

Looks good. The moisture can escape from the stapled line just like stapling incision wounds to allow for drainage in the OR.

Tony

1 Like

Mamuang, my goodness, that looks fabulous!!! Where did you get the bags? They also look perforated, are they? Great job, your plums will be great!

Thank you Tony and Mrs. G. After I saw Alcedo using the perforated bread bags to bag his fruit, Iā€™ve been inspired.

Mrs. G. - glad to hear from you. The bags are perforated. I am not sure how it would work so I did not buy them in bulk yet.

Instead, I went to a local supermarket, the bakery section. I told the lady there that Iā€™d like to buy a few of these bread bags for my ā€œscience projectā€ (which was accurate :laughing:). She was so nice and gave me 10 of them for free :smiley:

Maybe, after the plums are ripe, Iā€™d bring some to her.

1 Like

Looks great!

Brethil,
I know youā€™d like to grow fruitorganically, too. We will need to share ideas.

It doesnā€™t take a lot to confuse me. All the bread I notice (Honey Wheat) is not perforated. I like the bag and would also like to test these next season. What type bread is packed into perforated bags?

Crusty breads like baguettes and hard rolls should be in breathable bags instead of held in airtight ones.

2 Likes

I decided to try bagging a few plums as well. I did at least one on each tree (looks like 8 varieties this year). Hereā€™s one of my AU trees (Producer or Rosa, Iā€™ll find out which when the fruit ripensā€¦).

Auburn,
Muddy is right. It is for that kind of bread and other ā€œartisanā€ bread (that what it is called around here).

I like a big size bag more than a long, narrow baguette kind. If you want to try it this year, you can ask the bakery section in a big supermarket to give you a few to try.

The lady I asked gave me 10.

1 Like

I expect many happy followers :blush:

3 Likes

Mamuang! Perfect! Off to the bakery I go. Thanks so much.

One of the reasons that I have not planted many plums is due to the constant insect attack to the fruit. Hope this works and please follow up later. Thanks, Bill

Thanks for the details

Alcedo,

THANK YOU.

Mrs. G. - a small bakery may not want to give the bags out but the bakery section of a big supermarket is likely to. They have them in bulk in different sizes, and they want to please customers. So, they are likely to give you a few for your ā€œscience projectā€.

Bob - last year, my Shiro produced 12 plums so I used sandwich bags to individually bag them like you do. I worked out perfectly. No rot.

These bags look like they could work. Thanks, Bill

Absolutely! I am not spray-resistant but as a backyard hobby grower I would like to be as organic as reasonably possible. I really like the idea of allowing the fruit to remain attached without affecting the stem or risking fruit fall by having entire sections covered. For heavy setting plums like your Shiro I think you really nailed it with this flat-bag idea Mamuang. Plus it allows for air movement.

I worked this whole weekend (owww, feet hurt) but I was thinking quite a lot about learning that Jellyman from GW had heartbreaking losses due to BMSB biting through conventional bags. I was contemplating the weakness of bagging: the flat lie of the plastic over the fruit surface, which allows a bite through the plastic. That is why I used pipe cleaners to make a ā€˜domeā€™ for my peach bags: no direct contact between fruit surface and bag. But it was quite hand-crafty and possibly too labor intensive and impractical for an average tree-sized crop. Soā€¦ bubble wrap came to mind, as the depth of the bubble compartments must surely exceed the reach of even BMSB mouthparts even as fruit grows wider and the surface angle of the fruit touches the inner surface of the bag .

They make these bags, and while a bit expensive to buy they would possibly be re-usable:
http://www.gtbag.com/bz.html

Some cuts for fluid flow would still need to be made in these bags. Am now also contemplating bubble-wrap sleeves, inspired by your flat bread bag sleeving.

Clearbags.com is the site that sells the exact bread bag. They are also suggested for fresh produce. 250 pieces cost $24.00 not including shipping.

Brethil and Mrs. G.,

We are getting close to growing a $60- per -plum level now. I think if we could design a net that could cover the whole trees against small insect like moth and does not cause moisture-trap rot, we could be rich :grin:

While I was putting footsies on my peaches (not very convenient and more time consuming than sandwich bags), I thought about my co-worker who hinted strongly that she would love to try my peach. I was like did she know itā€™s a lot of work to get one clean peach.

2 Likes

Yuppo. :smile:

I was like did she know itā€™s a lot of work to get one clean peach. (Mamaung)

I just had a conversation like this with one of my physician friends this weekend at work. He loves listening to what I plant and grow and asks for advice as to what to put in, but thinks that you just plant it, allow a year and traipse out to the yard to harvest bushels of stuff with no work at all (presumably singing while you do so). You just smile at the trees and bushes and you get perfect fruit.

I told him plant a mulberry.