Black Walnut named varieties

Yep, that’s the one I have. Patti is now the owner of the company.

I will look into those others.

Next weekend I plan to go through some of my BW grafts and repot them. I am very excited about the real Thomas, but I am worried about anthracnose in my location. What has been your experiences with this fungus and nut production? Does it lead to alternate bearing or other problems? The last two years have been extremely wet here in South Georgia. Eventually I plan on planting a trio of Neel #1, Sparrow, and Thomas in my buck (goat) area. They eat all the fallen leaves, which may help with fungus control. Not to mention, any parasites of their own.

1 Like

Generally I ignore it. It can build up in an area and cause defoliation before the nuts are mature. Some varieties are more resistant than others. Thomas and Neel #1 do not have much problem with it.

1 Like

I wrote a letter to Richard Fahey of Singing Tree concerning Sparks 128. He didn’t say much other than the obvious. It is a selection of the late Archie Sparks. It has not fruited for Mr. Fahey as of this time.

I am interested in purchasing Neel #1, Pounds #2 and Sparrow, but since I live in Germany I don’t know where I could get those. Does anyone know a nursery that would export to the EU/Germany?

I found information on some promising trials for crosses of black walnut and persian walnut (Juglans intermedia) for lumber production in Europe. Sadly no one seems to be interested in growing BW for fruit around here.

Last month I planted a grafted persian walnut that is supposed to bear big nuts (>7cm/2.75in) of good quality in a few years. I read that trials with J. intermedia for producing a thin shelled walnut with BW aroma in the US were not successful but I am still itching to give it a shot in a few years if I ever get those BW cultivars.

I think I am going to ask around at a few nurseries around here that have been growing J. intermedia for decades now what their experience with the nuts has been so far.

1 Like

Don’t know if this place ships across seas but you can surely ask.

http://www.risingcreeknursery.com/?page_id=32

Dax

I have seen a few persian/black hybrid trees over the years. For the most part, they are not good black walnuts and not good Persians. The wood is somewhat useful though not as decay resistant as pure black walnut. The nuts I saw were mostly inedible or too small to be commercially viable.

I’ve been thinking seriously about getting a few Juglans HIndsii trees to interplant with my eastern black walnuts (Juglans Nigra) to produce hybrid seed. The hybrid can grow significantly faster than either parent. This would be for timber production.

2 Likes

Thank you, I contacted them. Hopefully they agree.

Then I probably shouldn’t try. Meanwhile I read about some experiments regarding this hybrid and they came to the same conclusion about the fruit.

1 Like

I’ve looked at (2) hybrid Persian/Black and the nuts were junk, also. And, it’s not like you get the chance to see that hybrid everyday.

I found two nurseries in the netherlands that sell Emma K and Thomas:

They also sell ‘Bicentennial’. In the catalog of De Smallecamp they write about the nuts:

“The fruit is hanging single or in bunches of 2-3 nuts together. The fruit is almost circular and about 4-5 cm long and wide. ‘Bicentennial’ is a selection of Potsdam in the state of New York, big nut, good filled and very productive, ‘Bicentennial’ is a self pollinator.”

Has anyone experiences regarding ‘Bicentennial’, especially taste?

I recently got a chance to sample ‘Grundy’ from CT. Very nice size, and crackable. Neat to see a selection grown New England!

1 Like

Good morning to the participants of the site.
My name is Vadym, I’m from Ukraine. Last fall, I “discovered” a black walnut. For us, this is a rare tree, because walnut is widespread here. I gathered fruits from different trees in one of the public parks. Looking around the house, I realized that they are different from each other. Systematized them into about 10 different varieties. Can anyone help me to identify the varieties of these black nuts?

all nuts

Sincerely, Vadim.

1 Like

Do you know if the trees are seedlings? or named varieties?

They all appear to be seedlings just from looking at the shape of the nuts. Can you provide information on the location where the trees are growing?

I’m pretty sure these are seedlings. I found my black walnuts the same way here in Germany, some in parks and some in a forest. Plantings for timber go back to the early 20th century here along the Danube river.
But even today there are barely any grafted black walnuts in europe, I only know of two nurseries in the netherlands that have named varieties.
I planted some seedlings in the forest and use the rest as rootstocks. The taste of the ones I have tried is not worth the effort of cleaning and cracking them, but I also never tried the named varieties

1 Like

The flavor of black walnut is not to the taste of a lot of people. However, a good variety harvested promptly and dried properly is very good eating.

2 Likes

Good morning to you.
As far as I know these trees were planted between 1970 and 1990. I don’t know how they planted them with seeds or seedlings. I think nuts. What varieties I do not know, I wanted to know. Trees grow in one of the local parks in the south, Vinnytsia region of Ukraine.
Sincerely, Vadim.

The nuts appear to be from seedlings probably planted as wood producing trees.

The most likely varieties of nut producing black walnut to grow in your area are Thomas, Neel #1, and Farrington. Sparrow, S127, and Pounds #2 are a few others that would grow and produce in your climate.

My son married a Romanian woman from Galati. I visited and traveled through most of southern Romania in 2017. The climate appears to be similar to Kentucky or perhaps Ohio.

1 Like

Apologies if I missed this in the comments above, but here’s a great resource for comparing different cultivars: