Che, mulberry, osage orange, fig grafting

This year I’m grafting Che and mulberries again in an attempt to establish some seedless Che trees growing on Osage orange and change some male mulberry to females. I met a gentleman about half an hour away who grew a row of che by tbud grafting them. I strongly suspect tbuds are the way to go with mulberry and Che grafting.

4 Likes

Hi guys,

I am trying to find any information on Internet about grafting Mulberry (Morus Nigra, Morus Alba, and etc.) onto Maclura Pomifera (Osage Orange) and I cannot find any definitive source; but as I remember from my childhood (40 years ago) in Azerbaijan (former part of Persia/Russia) Morus Nigra (specifically, “Nigra”) can be grafted on this “Monkey’s Bread” tree as we called it; we had 15-meters high trees in a park with 6"-8" “monkey’s bread” on it.

Anyone tried to graft Morus Nigra on it? Thanks,

3 Likes

To search the forum for che search for "che " in quotes with a space after the e before the quote.

and no you can not graft che to mulberry

3 Likes

@Bambarbia
Monkeys bread aka breadfruit as its sometimes known can only be grown in warm tropicle places. There could be strains of this fruit i know nothing about. At the time when we did our experiments i was aware jackfruit and others are members of the same family but noone to my knowledge tested compatability with the tropicle members of the family. It was called monkeys bread cause monkeys eat it and the fruit reminds people of bread. Breadfruit - Wikipedia

1 Like

Did anyone ever try grafting a fig to osage orange with an approach graft?

2 Likes

(“ Have an acquaintance who’d been grafting named honeylocust cultivars(Gleditisa) onto black locust understock (Robinia)… first year growth looked good - but I have serious doubts about long-term success… but I’ve not heard from him in a year or two.”)
?
?
Any updates on the success of this combination ?

1 Like

Anyone ever try grafting mulberry onto Che?

1 Like

Yes. It doesn’t work.

3 Likes

@Chonas

It would be very unlikely it would take. These trees are related but not a close enough match to graft. Just saw your old question.

1 Like

I think @tonyOmahaz5 tried that combination several years back, as well, with no success.

2 Likes

I’ve done several of the Pakistani on volunteer/ native mulberry in Southern California desert. Three healthy takes and all leafing out for second year right now. All on the same tree. None of them took on the other SIX trees. I’m wondering since leaf shape is variable between them if there is some compatibility issues for certain variations. Much like winter banana apple is only one that consistently takes pear grafts.

1 Like

@Tansith

Thats possible for sure. An interstem is gold when i find a good one. I have pears that are compatible with anything i’ve found like my small yellow pear i grow.

Nurseryman from Canada that I’ve been swapping now with saw the same with other PRUNUS grafted onto chokecherry. When heat hit beautiful grafts started failing. I saw the same in Michigan. Possible solution - vascular development may not keep up with rapid growth of grafted scion. So prune it down to less than half size. Don’t let the graft get very big the first year. May reduce damage from heat. Experiments with that hypothesis are ongoing. Nice thing is if 50% mulberry are compatible then that’s probably plenty to work with. Use compatible ones as interstems or to root all the root stock ever.

2 Likes

Has anyone tried bench grafting them and then putting in a green house? The extra humidity might help initial healing and growth?

1 Like

Are your pears consistently compatible with Apple? Or callery/wild pear?

1 Like

@Tansith

My pears are consistently compatible with callery and other wild pears. I’ve done a lot of research on pears.