Chickasaw Plum Inventory

Beautiful plums Marcus

Iā€™m guessing that this is one of the last buckets of Tooleā€™s Heirloom plums of the season. All the plums in this bucket are fully ripe. This is the fully ripe, fully colored up look of this variety.

11 Likes

Those look deliciousā€¦This thread has me thinking I need to add a plum my current mix of fruit treesā€¦I know the Chicasaw grows wild down here and even further south, so Iā€™m sure it would do ok hereā€¦just never hear of anyone growing themā€¦

Most of the good varieties are ones private families have passed down and around to their friends. They donā€™t even have them at the USDA germplasm repository for plums. Thatā€™s why I and the Georgia Southern University Botanical Garden is putting together a collection of them. The goal is to collect as many of these varieties as possible and make scion wood and possibly seeds available to prospective growers.

Anyway, mine is suckering quite a bit this year. I will have some suckers to give away on a first come first serve basis. I have nearly unlimited amount of scion wood available when the time comes. I will have some scion wood from my inmature McKibben tree as well. I havenā€™t seen fruit in person yet from that one so the photos I have from Larry Stephenson is the best description of that variety I have. God bless.

Marcus.

2 Likes

The most reliable pollinizer for Tooleā€™s Heirloom is a wild Chickasaw plum that blooms with it.

I may take you up on that offer for the suckersā€¦

Remind me in the fall, it will be first come first serve then. Our dormant season usually really begins the week of Thanksgiving.

1 Like

Picked and consumed my small crop of Odom plums today. Although the numbers were small it met my expectations for a green and turning ripe plum. I have other plum varieties that are bigger and possibly sweeter and these are great tasting also. If I could learn how to successfully get them past the cold spring weather we would be happy partners. Iā€™m sure Iā€™m out there mostly by myself loving the tart/sweet taste.

2 Likes

What color was the flesh? Was it red fleshed or yellow?

1 Like

I should have payed attention but I didnā€™t. I think they were yellow.

Hopefully Haldog will notice and, even better, takes some pictures when his ripen. Iā€™m anxious to see what they look like on the inside.

My Odoms didnā€™t ripen until the second week of July last year, and its looking about the same this year-maybe the end of June. From what I recall the flesh is yellowish, but I will definitely post a picture when I get a ripe one.

Very cool! Thank you!

Im going to attempt air layering some low branches on my Chickasaw plums. Does anyone have experience with this, know what I should avoid? I have a couple young Guthrie and Odom forming low branches Iā€™d normally take off as they form but Iā€™d like to propagate some to plant more/give away. Or would I have better success propagating cuttings, summer or dormant?
Iā€™ve been watching this thread. I started a section of native plums a few years ago after eating some wild Plum jelly, got some flowers this year but no fruit. Hopefully I can contribute some fruit pics next year.

Found one more Odom hiding in the back leaves. I will get some pictures when it ripens.

i planted 2 wild goose plums (Prunus munsoniana x) from Oikos tree crops that so far has done ok in the Texas heat. The Odom and Guthrie plums are growing better but that could just be those plants. I also have a wild Chickasaw. Hopefully by next year they will be big enough to produce a couple of plums.

Very cool! Iā€™m looking forward to seeing the pics and seeing how they compare to the plums from Haldogā€™s tree. Meanwhile, Iā€™ve found a local home owner with improved Chickasaw plums from a local source. He was actually about to rip them out because they are not producing for him. My guess is that while they may not be the same plum, they may not be pollen compatible on account of having genes from an Asian type plum. He probably needs a wild plum to make his fruitful. The leaves of the two trees are distinct from each other. Heā€™s going to wait until after I can rescue scion wood from the trees before removing them. Heā€™s also going to ask the guy that he got the trees from more about them in terms of if he knows a variety name attached to them or if there is a family history associated with them. I have high hopes that these may be from the Bouie plum lineage given who the guy got his from. Hopefully I will be able to get more info. God bless.

Marcus

2 Likes

Very cool. I wonder if you would have done from Bass Pecan company as your source for goose plum. I wonder that because they are in Texas and the native range of the species overlaps into part of Texas. It would be good to know how related the parent trees are to one another at Oikos and the Bass Pecan Company. I have a Bass Pecan Company Goose plum with another one grafted into it here that I planted this spring which is doing super well so far. If you have enough wood this winter I would like some to graft into my tree. Iā€™m curious to see just how similar or different the plums from the two sources are from each other. God bless.

Marcus

Hey Gary,
Iā€™m also growing some oikos Wild goose and a local wild goose from Pineville, La. Sounds like we are growing very similar plums with the Odom and Guthries as well and we are at similar latitude. I got those Rainbow plums from Womack as well. Theyā€™re all doing well down here in South La. Iā€™m curious, are your Odom and Guthrie trying to grow tall compared to the wild goose? Mine are getting fairly tall for a young native Plum.

My Odom and Guthrie are acting just like Tooleā€™s Heirloom the improved Chickasaw variety that I got from my father. These improved Chickasaw plums as a group make big trees apparently when they are on their own root. My seven year old Tooleā€™s Heirloom is about 20 ft tall and about 25 ft wide. The tree my dad had when I was a teenager eventually got quite a bit bigger than that. According to Larry Stephenson, the mother tree of the McKibben plums he sent me is between 30 and 40 ft tall with a ten inch trunk, and the tree itself is about 40 years old, Larry thinks. So yes, Guthrie and Odom should be expected to get pretty big, provided that they are on their own roots or on a non dwarfing rootstock of some sort. Iā€™m curious about how the Munson plum from different sources vary from each other. Please tell me more about the rainbow plum. Do you know which species its a variety of? God bless.

Marcus