Cold hardy figs

Anne,
These are brown turkey figs.

The birds have went down to the fields now Mamuang so they should not be a problem this time of year. Thanks

Why can’t my birds join your birds? :grinning:

I dabbed olive oil on almost all my figs. The night before last, our temp went down to 49. The cold temp is coming.

1 Like

Should I just rub them down or really slather a lot of that olive oil on them?

From the video that @JustAnne4.posted, the guy used a Q tip and dabbed olive oil at the eyes of the figs. He said it would take a few weeks to work. His did not work but other people said it worked. I did it because I have nothing to lose

1 Like

I would think it’s like a sunbather the more oil the hotter they get. They get sunburned from the oil so I figure the figs would as well. Putting them under glass might help. I may try a few tricks and see what works.

Clark some of your figs look almost ripe. You should get all that turned dark to ripen.

1 Like

Thanks Drew that sounds great! Figs grown in the ground in Kansas is something I never thought possible until recent years.

Clark,

This method relies on olive oil (or any oil) entering figs through the eyes to create a chemical reaction that would accelerate the ripening process. Or, that’s what I understood the explanation.

2 Likes

RDB and IC, both tasty but RDB won this time.

3 Likes

I would like to try to have a range of flavors and colors as large as possible that can grow from the roots and fruit in one season. Unk Teramo may work? It appears not to be a Mt Etna type. A great taste too. Found in ground in Maryland. Brought here from Teramo region of Italy i will be trialing this one. It’s a small oval fig, rounder than most with red tinted amber flesh.i

Clark,

Your BT figs are almost ready so I would not worry about them not ripen. I harvested 6 sweet figs this morning. They were delicious.

Tony

1 Like

Sounds great Tony! Thanks

Jesse, given the results from you, it’s clear I should get those two cultivar for in ground planting. If possible when you prune those figs, could you send some cuttings? I do have some other cultivars for trade.

Figs can get color early on due to sun exposure, the only real indication that they will ripen is that they double in size rapidly though.

1 Like

I will have many cuttings available for postage or swapping in about a month, and will post a list at that point. Stay tuned!

3 Likes

The darkest figs in this picture are all from in ground plants here in zone 6: Malta Black, Sal’s GS, and Takoma Violet. The others are from potted plants. Plus a few apples.

3 Likes

Kelby,

Nice harvested. I am looking forward to some of your rooted varieties for next season.

Tony

1 Like

Kelby,

Hog heaven.

What kind of apples?

Liberty, haven’t gotten the right timing yet, they are slightly under ripe.

1 Like