Cold hardy figs

@BobVance how are your figs coming along?

Here is a picture of GM #171 ā€˜Gludiā€™ (means thick skin), from what I remember it is a popular commercial variety in Malta. It did well against the hornets and fair against the rain. Has dropped some figs in the past but a keeper.

This yearā€™s planting, frost possible tomorrow night here.

5 Likes

I would love to get cuttings of your Sweet Diana.

Yeah it should not be a problem.

So, my figs have been stalled for weeks, and I have mostly given up on any further ripening for the rest of this season. But I relocated a few into my most sunny of spots anyway, just to see what would happen. Now, my Takoma Violet figlet has doubled in size over the past 48 hours, and it is coloring up. This time, Iā€™m gonna wait until it droops before I pick it.

Bronze Paradiso is still stalledā€¦

1 Like

Thanks!

Here are some pics of my Celeste and a spider guarding my Oā€™Rourke. I bought this Celeste from Lowes 2 years ago and put it in my front flower bed. The Oā€™Rourke was planted in my orchard last fall.

1 Like

They arenā€™t. I donā€™t notice much difference between now and when I last posted on 9/18. I think Iā€™m about out of runway, as it is starting to get close to freezing at night. Last night was supposed to get down to 39, but at bedtime (1-2am) it was 36, so I moved the tropical inside. If we get past this Friday, we may be OK until late in the month, but I doubt that the figs will ripen that quick when the highs are in the 60ā€™s.

In the pic, Iā€™m holding some jujubes, which have been very good.

2 Likes

That sucks

Bob,

I suspect those are the best jujubes in Connecticut.

Maybe the only ones in Connecticut.

Best in CT? Best in the country :sunglasses: Actually, the ones Iā€™ve had from CA have more sugar/brix, but they lose the crisp juicy texture.

Maybe there arenā€™t too many others yet, but Iā€™m trying to change that by giving samples to some of the vendors at the farmerā€™s markets. They were impressed by what could be grown with no sprays at allā€¦

What makes it hurt worse is that the largest potted one I have doesnā€™t have any fruit at allā€¦If it did, I could bring it inside to ripen.

4 Likes

As soon as I start to give up, one of the figs started ripening. At least, it is getting darker. How long is it generally from the first color to fully ripe?

1 Like

Temperature really makes a difference, and also variety. Hardy Chicago late in the season takes about 7 days. Clip any leaves that are shading it so the sun can warm it up.

The next 3 days are close to 80, then back down to 50ā€™s and 60ā€™s, so I have to root for a lot happening soon.

Is temp of the fig more important than nearby photosynthesis? I assumed that having a leaf right above the fig would be feeding it a lot of energy. Or are figs fed from the plant as a whole, rather than local leaves?

Temperature is the most important from what I can tell. A young tree like you have has more than enough leaves to make sugar, and the tree has no trouble moving it around. Anywhere you nick a fig tree it bleeds sap.

Sounds good, thanks. Iā€™ll check it out and clip anything shading it tomorrow.

I have had some take longer to ripen, and also long to finish. VDB turned all figs slightly, but it was 3 weeks before any fully ripened, and itā€™s been 8 weeks or longer since then, and not all are yet ripe, although most are. Also to note, no other figs acted like this at all for me. Once they turned, it was quick. Another exception I have too, sort of, more on that one later this week. Btw VDB is an awesome fig. Taste is consistent, color is great, almost black, a must have if you ask me. At first I had no splitting of figs, but once over half ripened, I started to have some splitting. Not a big deal if harvested the day they split, the figs are fine.
Not even watered down tasting. A very cool cultivar.

1 Like

I have the same situation with an unknown fig tree. It started to ripen seven days ago and is now soft and hanging down after a week of cool 60s temperature. Iā€™ll give it one or two more days. With this weekā€™s upper 70s temperatures Iā€™m hoping for a few more to start the process.

Not all attempts to grow cold hardy figs end well. Tasting some figs this year was wonderful and completely worth the effort. I wanted to post a picture from late November so everyone is aware I donā€™t always get away with zone stretching! Next year will be better.

4 Likes