Figs, figs, everywhere!

Genovese Nero AF is supposedly better, yet it sounds like they may be of equal quality too.

Certainly 2 different fig tree varieties.

Rob’s Genovese Nero by appearance of figs, size of figs, and by leaves appears to be Texas Blue Giant, yet the figs are way better than Texas Blue Giant.

You probably want to learn to identify varieties by leaf if you plan on spending lots of money… There are many synonyms going around, as well as mislabeled or fictitious varieties. The high prices attracted some ne’er-do-wells who chased off most of the experienced growers, so you are mostly on your own when it comes to verifying you have the right thing, and now also if the right thing even exists.

Not entirely sure what you are bidding on, but one person who was selling MR on figbid is the same who traded me a cutting from a Smyrna seedling as Yellow Neches a few years ago, that was fun to waste 3 years… There is this rumor that because a seller is popular on a forum they are 100% legit because if they were not, someone would say something, well they started that rumor and now suckers buy it and repeat it. The same suckers won’t be around next year when judgement day comes and what will they do anyway; contradict themselves and make the group turn on them? Be cautious of people using social influence to get your money rather than pictures and objective descriptions from their own experiences.

GN AF is way better than Rob’s. Robs was a mix up and probably is blue giant. Some say I-258 and GN AF are the same plant.

Thank you for the information. I’ll start researching this part. I’ve tried to only bid from active people that I recognized from the different forums but I’ll start learning the leaf patterns as you suggest. I’d really be upset to waste years on something that wasn’t the fig I believed I was getting.

Instead of buying plants from strangers, why not seek out fig growers
in your area. There are plenty of them, and most of them will help you
get started, usually for free.

1 Like

There are some that insist that GNAF and 285 ARE the same. If that’s
the case, why not stop calling it GNAF and just call it what you insist
that it is, I 258. But that would make too much sense, and also bruise
a lot of egos and wallets. Sometimes FIG people are just TOO much.

3 Likes

Yes more than once I obtained a fig by another name I already had. That sucked! Yes it’s a mess. Both GN and 258 are expensive. I traded for GN and others. I won’t pay the high prices. Luckily I found out they are the same before I obtained both.

There are supposedly 6 different versions of GN floating around. Everyone claims to have the REAL GN, and they all supposedly originated from Adriano. Makes you wonder about Adriano. I have never bought a fig tree and I never will. There are too many people selling too many figs on ebay and not all of them are legitimate. Sometimes the legitimate ones don’t really know what they’re selling.

1 Like

I just moved to CA and I do not know anyone that grows figs here despite asking around. I just joined CRFG as well but when I asked the local director for fig growers, there were none that came to mind. That is why I am going this route. I want to have some to get started with. Hopefully, I will find local growers in the future.

I’d do some hunting around the neighborhood, funny thing is some of the most popular expensive varieties are just found trees. I think at least part of the reason is those trees are usually mature and may produce much better fruit than any of the younger trees in people’s collections they get compared against. You might even get lucky with some wild fig seedlings, I understand they are most likely to be found where there is water (aquaduct, stream, etc.) in CA.

I will definitely keep an eye out!

Rob may have given out two or more different varieties as Genovese Nero. Supposedly at first he was giving out the real thing. Some people say that it’s a lot like Texas Blue Giant, others say that it’s not. One person that says it’s not says that it’s nothing like Genovese Nero AF yet still has incredible fruit.

1 Like

I can attest to this. There are several wetland areas in Oceanside, Escondido and Vista where I have seen wild figs of decent quality growing completely feral.

1 Like

I just found one. No idea if it’s good or not. Can I take cuttings now and try to root them or do I need to wait til its dormant? I’d like to start getting experience doing this so I can be better when I’m trying w the good stuff

You can treat last year’s wood like dormant cuttings, the oldest part of this year’s growth should be hardened enough as well, clip off any leaves and figs first. Make the bottom cut just below the bottom node, figs have a large pith that can cause problems if it is left exposed.

2 Likes

You can root lignified and green wood now. I just started some yesterday.
As Hoosierbanana stated, cut off the leaves( I usually leave one), put it in
a pot with loose potting soil, water it well, and place in a shady spot, and
keep it from drying out. It should root in a few weeks. I actually have better
success with this method than with dormant cuttings.

2 Likes

Thank you! I’ll try that tonight. Just grabbed some cuttings.

Probably just something standard bc it’s near other houses but it’ll b good for practice.

Since you’re in California, it’s probably some type of Mission fig.
Good luck with it.

Best of luck with your cuttings. Those leaves look very shiny, not sure that I’ve seen fig leaves like that!

In any case, I believe that there are few figgers in your area. I’m a few hours south of you myself. You may want to give the Ourfigs forum a shot if you are looking for someone local.