Figs, figs, everywhere!

Thanks for the suggestion. I’ll try ourfigs out. I’ve done a lot of reading but never posted there.

Two pics and a question. My Black Madeira is looking pretty good!! Good new growth since I potted it up.

I’m contemplating taking a cutting from the smaller branch and rooting it… its a Genovese Nero. What would you all do?

2 Likes

Be careful using fig as a verb, figger is not really a word, but the word figging describes an S&M act with peeled ginger, and there are plenty of results on Google already so there might be some confusion… One person had company over and told them she was figging out in the yard earlier, just so happened her guest knew the real meaning and she was pretty embarrassed and she warned everyone about it.

It has always been a tight-knit crowd because figs are relatively obscure, but unfortunately when people integrate themselves into a group so much that it becomes a part of their identity they lose the ability to think straight. Many examples of that happening so I’d be very careful if the bug has really bitten you!

6 Likes

That tree looks like it was stunted from being in a small container for too long. Cuttings that small are tougher to root and take longer to get going, being from a tree that has low energy would make it even more difficult I think. Although making heading cuts when dormant will invigorate a tree I’ve never pruned one that small so can’t really say if it would be a good idea, the small branch doesn’t seem to be doing much for the plant though so I doubt it would hurt to remove it. Maybe a small air-layer would be OK?
If it were mine I’d throw nitrogen and water at it until it got growing well, at that time it will probably throw a sucker or 2 and those will quickly smother the stunted growths.

2 Likes

Are you on facebook?

Thank you! I just got the GN a couple weeks ago from Harvey C and I replanted it right away in a larger pot w good nutrients and am watering regularly. The BM has shown significant growth in the same amount of time. Hopefully the GN will take off soon.

And thanks for the connection. I’ll check it out as well.

1 Like

You are welcome.

I personally would not take a cutting from such a small plant. I’d let
it grow some more and get established, before I did that. I know you’re
excited about your new hobby, but patience needs to overcome your
enthusiasm. Rome was not built in a day.

2 Likes

I totally get it. I can be patient… sometimes. :slight_smile: That’s why I asked. I wasn’t sure if that little side branch was necessary or not. I knew I could rely on you guys to curb my impatience. Lol

I received my GN AF directly from AF so I don’t have any doubts as to the authenticity of the fig. My I258 and GN AF are identical. I do not have Rob’s GN.

2 Likes

If they’re identical, why call it by two different names. Drop one or the other
and eliminate some of the confusion.

1 Like

Bornholm and Large Negronne brebas. I really liked both! My English Brown Turkey varients (of which Bornholm is one) are my most productive breba bearers, and high quality sweet meaty figs.

Uploading…

7 Likes

Oh that is too funny, thank you for the warning!

I think the decision on whether or not to prune away the side branch should be influenced by what type of tree that you want. A taller, single trunk tree or more of a bushy type tree. I personnally prefer the lower, bushy type, but that’s because my trees are on a slope and if they get too tall it’ll be too hard to harvest. I would probably wait until it became dormant to prune it as it’s awful small and you wouldn’t want to shock it too hard.

1 Like

If you really want to remove that branch i would go with an airlayer.

In a few weeks you will have enough roots to remove it successfully and the tree can concentrate all its energy on the remaining branch.

I may try that. It’s weird. I got 4 fig plants in at the same time and 3 have shown definite growth but this one just seems the same as day one. Should I be worried or do some just take longer to get going?

The vigor is just different from one variety to another. Some grow like a weed and others grow much slower.

That being said, sometimes, due to growing conditions, two plants of the same variety can grow quite differently, but that’s probably not what is happening in your case.
I have a few plants that are in a bad spot in ground (too much clay) and they just won’t grow while their potted siblings look like they have 2-3 more years.

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback. I’ll just keep it up. The soil I made seems to be working well. My BM has 6-8" it seems in like 3 weeks and my Panache and VdB about the same

Desert King fig in Seattle sweet as honey .

13 Likes

This is Sicilian Red (Tatnall) recd from @hoosierbanana 6/17. It is the best fig I’ve ever tasted. I don’t know how a fig could even taste better. Even the skin was sooooo sweet. Gonna brix my next ones.
IMG_1714

15 Likes