Figs, figs, everywhere!

They can get a fine circular cracking pattern on the skin in just the right conditions, whenever I see that I get really, really excited :wink:

2 Likes

Breba from Nitra, likely synonymous with Longue d’Aout

7 Likes

Brebas from Longue D’Aout are round. That’s a main crop fig.

1 Like

No, I respectfully disagree.

Brebas from LdA are very elongated. This is a Niagara Black breba from 2017(most growers report this ‘found’ variety is LdA, mine is identical to my LdA):

4 Likes

Just reporting back. Brix=20

4 Likes

I’ll admit I’m 550 posts behind, but I thought I’d post this here.

This is my first White Triana.

mildly to mid sweet and very pleasant. To date I’ve only tried Marseilles Black VS.

Indoor Photo.

The following are outside in cloudy skies:

I have no idea the authenticity as I purchased from a lady on eBay and paid less than 5 bucks for three cuttings and not much for shipping.

If something looks off, thanks in advance for letting me know.

Dax

6 Likes

Not yet ripe but beautiful Rigato Del Salento, a 2 crop variegated fig.

This one was grafted only in May and put out 12 figs. I removed all but 6.

7 Likes

Just regular old black mission figs I planted at my parents 15 years ago. Its a very good fig in DC.

4 Likes

Those look much more like Celeste to me. Really nice all the same. Did the tree die back last winter?

No, the Polar Vortex of 2014 did killed her to the ground. She took a while to get going in 2015 but she regrew as a open center.

2 Likes

I’d graft it over with VdB.

1 Like

Not all of it! Would be at least a month later to start ripening.

If I could only grow Mission I wouldn’t grow it.

1 Like

That is a Celeste, or maybe LSU Tiger which was sold by Lowes on the East coast around the time it was planted. Mission would not be ripening yet either.

1 Like

Unknown fig could be a Dark Portugal fig

1 Like

http://figs4fun.com/Thumbnail_Dark_Portuguese.html

I was at a customer’s house today in Bellevue,WA and saw this tree,which was planted by the previous owner.
The height is about 15-20 feet.Does the fruit look like Brown Turkey?They are sweet,but not super great flavor. Brady

3 Likes

Yes, it is definitely a brown turkey. It might be an English Brown Turkey rather than California Brown Turkey (San Piero). These are much tastier than the California BT in our climate when they are harvested dead ripe.

2 Likes

It looks like Osbourne Prolific to me, I don’t grow it so it’s just a guess. My EBT usually has a pink to amber center and rough leaves, not glossy like that, the puckered eye looks the same though.

3 Likes