Finally a Nadia fruit report!

Time to move on from speculation about Nadia to an actual fruit report. So I picked one Nadia that was softening. In the process of evaluation I found that the fruit had a split pit so probably matured before it’s time. The split could be due to low crop load. Tree is in a pot. A seedling of Flavor Supreme in another pot has also been having split pits.

The Nadia was 52 grams vs 16 for a Selah sweet cherry harvested for comparison. Both had 24 brix but another Selah not pictured was off scale meaning above 34 brix. The 34 brix Selah tasted best. The other two tasted similar sweet/tart. Both tasted under ripe which was probably the case.

All in all I’m favorably impressed with Nadia. Hopefully the other three fruits won’t split the pits and I can get a better tasting.

18 Likes

Did you tasted any cherry flavor?

The cherry and plum tasted similar. So I guess you could call that a cherry flavor. Like I said both tasted not fully ripe. Nadia wasn’t any where near the taste of a good Flavor Supreme but has room for improvement if properly ripened without split pit.

2 Likes

Texture? Was it juicy///like juice running down your face?

1 Like

Haha. Finally we can say we know someone that’s tasted Nadia. Sounds pretty positive considering you think it was under ripe.

Yeah…i think its definitely something that will become very popular… up here i’d like to find out if it has any hardiness.

I think the other big question is will it ever set well? I know it’s only second leaf trees we are talking about but so far does not seem to be a prolific setter.

Not runny juicy like some plums, say Superior. Not firm and meaty like some others, Flavor Treat is my standard there. It had a bit of crunchy texture like a lot of pluots.

1 Like

Maybe I shouldn’t have been so positive. It still has everything to prove IMO. Like production, disease resistance, hardiness, and eating quality.

2 Likes

So, it ripens earlier than plums?

Split pit fruit always ripens earlier than normal. So we don’t even have a reading on that yet. There are pluots already ripe.

1 Like

The photos look great. (drooling)

They look great. I planted three of them this year so I guess we’ll see how they handle the heat, humidity & disease down here in the Deep South. Hopefully I get to taste a few next year.

1 Like

Which fruit is the Nadia?

Nadia is the one covered in my finger prints.

3 Likes

I noticed the finger prints. Holding on tight.

Steve,

Congrats on the first person here to have a ripened Nadia. So far at least it is a keeper on a 24 BRIX. Like you said in the past, give it 5 years to collect data and to come to conclusion.

Tony

4 Likes

Sounds great to me so far. Thanks for the report Fruitnut. Oh by the way it looks great too!

I like the looks of Selah better, both inside and out. All that deep purple color inside Selah and Bing cherries has to be healthy.

2 Likes

Steven, I assume this fruit is clingstone. You said it had a split pit but no mention of clingstone or freestone. Also, how similar in appearance is the pit to that of a plum or pluot? Does the pit have any cherry appearance at all?