Finally a Nadia fruit report!

Nice report. It’s larger than I expected and considering pluots don’t have any real apricot properties this cross doesn’t appear to have many cherry qualities. I don’t expect it to taste much different than a run of the mill pluot.

Actually I’d say Nadia is a lot like Dapple Supreme taste wise. Neither would rate with my top pluots. The advantages of DS are it fills a void in the pluot lineup and it sets well. But there are better fruits ripening here at the same time. I’ve had ripe Honey Fire and Honey Blaze already. Both are way better than DS.

Hey it has tart it in, I probably will like it, and I can graft other plums unto it, it’s a very good grower here.

Fruitnut,
Thanks for the report and accompanying pics. Pics are always helpful.

Warm, - not a turd yet. It seems we have members growing Nadia all over the country. Like many fruits, Nadia may tastes better in some areas but not the others.

Now we have to wait for all the reports. Unlike Drew, I do not like tart fruit or fruit that have more tartness than not.

2 Likes

It looks like the plum’s genes are dominant in the first generation hybrids between plum x cherry, and plum x apricot.

For example, the only visible apricot traits in plumcots is the fuzzy skin, otherwise, plumcots look exactly like a plum.

I wonder what a plum x cherry hybrid would look like if the cherry is used as the seed parent.

2 Likes

Has it ever been proven to even be possible? Can plum pollen even pollinate sweet cherry? Obviously it pollenates apricots to make apriums. Has any controls tests been done with plum pollen and sweet cherry blossoms?

I had two rainier cherries (fruits) that were open-pollinated, probably by shakar pareh plumcot, but then we had strong winds, the pot was knocked over and the fruit got knocked out.

1 Like

I would be interested to know if Nadia can be successfully used as an interstem between plum rootstock and sweet cherry scions.

1 Like

Any chance a tart cherry could pollinate a Nadia?

I am thinking I could use Carmine Jewel and create one fruit to rule the internet.

5 Likes

I grafted a stick of nadia to a black gold cherry and another stick to an emerald beaut plum. If they take I’ll use them as interstems.

That’s what makes back yard cross pollination highly questionable. I can hand pack a bunch of Montmorency pollen on a Satsuma Plum blossom but that doesn’t mean Montmorency is the pollinator. Even if there is no known plum trees around a honey bee could have plum pollen on it from over the neighbors fence. Unless you are doing controlled crossing it can be a huge question mark.

I grafted a couple of white gold sweet cherry branches on Nadia. They took and are growing. But the growth is a lot less vigorous comparing to the same scions grafted on sweet cherry. At least Nadia might be used as dwarfing rootstock for cherries.

1 Like

I have been following the Nadia postings hoping it would be that big cherry we all would like. Sorry it didn’t work out. There was so little information on the web to help make a good decision. I don’t typically go negative but I think sometimes information is not easily gotten by design so we will purchase the products. Bill

1 Like

Keep us informed. This is probably the only reason i ordered this thing. I’d like to see if its compatible with other stonefruit.

1 Like

LOL! That was funny! It’s possible but you have to change the ploidy levels to match with a drug that mutates cells, colchicine. Sigma-Aldrich sells the drug. I may try it one day. I would be careful with colchicine though! You could still cross it with sweet cherry, or just about all other stone fruits. I plan to try a few things. I already used Nadia pollen this year.

1 Like

I didn’t get a chance to graft sweet cherry to my Nadia but I did graft Pluot and Apricot to it and they are growing like gangbusters. Very vigorous. Even more evidence to make us think this thing is way more “Plum like” than cherry.

1 Like

Nice… I really hope my stupid tree starts to grow so i can put some Lapins on it and see how it goes.

1 Like

Am I to understand the entire Nadia big cherry tree is a complete bust, and the fruit is more of a regular plum than a sweet cherry?

Well, at least I only bought one Nadia. I know of some people who bought several expecting something fabulous.

I have two Van Cherries and one Stella Cherry in my back yard. They are all in close proximity to each other. The two Van Cherries seem to be leafing a different times, one faster than the other. Maybe I can get a cross pollination and see what comes of it.

This process unfortunately takes many, many years before we know if it works.

1 Like

There have been 2 known people to taste nadia from this forum so far and quite frankly one of the reports shouldn’t even count as the fruit was picked weeks early. Way too early to call it a bust. I think it’s pretty safe to say that Nadia is not going to be a “huge sweet cherry”. But it could end up being a pretty tasty hybrid fruit. Reports of low fruit set have to be taken with a grain of salt because the first year anyone had a nadia in ground here was early 2015. You can’t expect miracles from a second leaf tree.

Do I think it’s the next flavor supreme? Heck no. There is not much that rivals that. Could it be tasty and increase its fruit set down the road…of course.

4 Likes

It is way way too early to jump to any conclusions about Nadia. As Speedster said we have had tastes of literally two fruit from immature trees. How often do people around here agree 100% on a fruit anyway?

Is Nadia likely to be the world’s greatest fruit? Probably not… the odds are certainly against it anyway. That said it might still be a good fruit that fills an interesting niche. It will take at least a couple more years before we have a good body of reports from different people in different growing conditions.

2 Likes