Grafting for complete beginners?

Leave them on, but take off the terminal bud.

1 Like

How’s this for cuts?

The rootstock tree pictured above is still bare of foliage. To match such small scion with equal diameter rootstock for cleft graph, I’ll only need a few small branches. Should all the branches then be hacked back to the trunk, with the exception of one branch to keep the tree system active?

I think if your rootstock is still dormant but your scionwood is pushing buds you are going to have a tough time successfully grafting. Normally you’d want it the other way around with the rootstock pushing buds and the scion totally dormant.

You’re right. Sounds like it’s not even worth trying then.

If you are just playing around anything is worth trying. Its just that the odds are decreased in your situation. If the graft fails you can still grow out the rootstock and regraft next year or try budding this summer.

Those lower buds still look dormant so I’d cut off the swollen ones and maybe the lower buds will work.

I went up there in the middle of the night and threw them on. Cut my finger open with the saw, so I was trying not to get blood in the graft union, lol.
Probably not going to work, but why not.
Before:

After
Closeup

5 Likes

I left a very small branch off on the right of the rootstock to keep the system going. On the spur of the moment I switched to a Barkgraft. Way too much root stock tree there. Carpenters glue and electrical tape. Cut the Psion’s exactly as described above and only use the base.

Doing this at night and taking a cut. If anyone deserves these grafts to take it is you. Bill

3 Likes

Damn you are die hard. I would’ve just waited until the next day. Lol

1 Like

Good to be young and enthusiastic minus fingers

1 Like

Re: not having fancy tools and such, I don’t know what others think of this (and I’m also very new to grafting) but I picked up some Thunder Throne Wax, sealant of kings. I just made that up; it’s commonly known as toilet ring wax and it’s very inexpensive ($1.39 USD, you won’t need the plastic inner ring) and readily available. I’m sure some folks here have used it so maybe you’ll hear some do’s or don’ts.

4 Likes

Works very good for grafting wax.

1 Like

I used toilet ring wax this year for the first time and I’m totally hooked. IT’s fantastic. I was using Bonide tree pruning sealer before but toilet wax is better in my opinion.

How do you use it, melt it into container first?

Annie, you don’t need to melt it. Just pinch a piece off. It’s got the perfect consistency. It’s firm but pliable. I’m unsure what to compare it too. Firmer than play-doh and much firmer than peanut butter. Maybe the closest thing I can think of is modeling clay.

Thanks. I have brand new one at home somewhere, never toughed it, but I will play with it when I find it

The brand I picked up -Johnny Wax, I think- is quite sticky and I put it on with a popsicle stick- seems like I can’t get it off my fingers otherwise. I suppose this is a good thing. I think it works great, and I love cheap.

1 Like

I bought stuff from lowes. I think it was Oatey brand or something similar. Don’t bother getting the version that has a plastic flange included. That flange is useless and raises the cost $1-$2 per ring. I actually put it on with my fingers. I just pinch a piece off and smear it on. Putting it on with a finger gives you great control and feedback. Let’s you perfectly smear it into and mold it around the scion. I kept a rag with me and it seamed to come off okay buy just wiping it on the rag several times. You could always use latex gloves if it bothers you.

1 Like

Are you folks using the toilet bowl wax for cleft grafts only, or for all grafts?

Clefts, actually, as everything else seals up fine for me with parafilm. And on clefts I try to cover the cleft with parafilm prior to applying the wax- don’t really want the wax in the graft itself.

I wouldn’t hesitate to smear it over parafilm or some other tape though.