Grafting success/failures on Nadia and CandyHeart

Has anyone had any success grafting apricot on either of these? I’m planing on trying some white apricots on CandyHeart. I know that buried within the Nadia thread are some comments about grafting compatibility, but it might be nice to have some of that knowledge listed in a more accessible thread. Thanks

1 Like

That’s a great idea. I believe grafting apricot scions onto Candy Heart Pluerry will work since Candy Heart is half apricot.

1 Like

I almost put an aprium, Flavor Delight, on Nadia today but decided to be safe instead. I put it on a peach and a J plum.

Look forward to reading the answers, too.

2 Likes

I have Orangered grafted to Nadia. It’s 2 years old. It’s survived but hasn’t thrived. It’s only about 10 inches long but continues to leaf out regularly. No fruit buds yet.

I also have Flavor Supreme pluot grafted to Nadia and it’s grown better than Orangered. It had several blooms on it this spring but no fruit set due to freezing.

2 Likes

Good info, thanks. I remember people saying they’d had success with other pluots, but I wasn’t sure about apricots and cherries. Keep us updated on your orangered.

I grafted Nadia on a Rainier Cherry, it took, but the branch remained small and fruited for two years now. No effect on bloom delay as Nadia on the cherry bloomed earlier than the cherry and bloomed at the same time as the stand alone Nadia. I grafted other cherries to Nadia, same response.

I have grafted Nadia to CandyHeart, it’s going bonkers in terms of fruit sets and vigor as I maintain the other Candy Heart branches.

Grafted Emerald Beaut, Burgundy, Autumn Giant, Golden Japan, Asian Beauty, Autumn Gold to Nadia, all are okay, except the Asian Beauty which is slow growing on it. Typically when Asian Beauty is grafted to Asian Plums, it usually wants to take over the whole tree, but on Nadia, it’s less than average vigor.

My latest graft of American Plum on Nadia has excellent vigor!

Nadia grafted on Nanking is successful, it’s vigor is the same as the remaining Nanking branches. Nadia grafted on Krymsk 1 and 5 have initially taken, grew to about 2 ft but did not come back to life the next season. Nadia grafted on Adara has excellent response. Nadia grafted on Sprite Cherry Plum has also excellent vigor and is productive.

This is zone 9 conditions.

6 Likes

I lost one of my sweet cherries over the winter and am left with the rootstock which is Newroot-1. According to the patent Newroot-1 has the same parent genuses (genii?) as Nadia, Prunus salicina×Prunus avium. If I let the rootstock grow out would I expect fruit similar to Nadia?

You cannot get Nadia on a dwarfing rootstock afaik. My Nadia, from Raintree, is grafted to St. Julian A which is pushing up suckers all around itself. What are the prospects that Nadia would graft successfully to the Newroot-1 rootstock which would allow me to turf out the one on on St. Julian and replace it with a true dwarfed edition?

1 Like

Your asking if you can graft Prunus salicina (x)avium to the same so “yes”.

You’d have to keep a branch to see the fruit of Newroot-1 unless someone has already photographed the fruit produced. I can’t find an image of Newroot-1 with fruit.

It’s gonna be very vigorous is my estimation… even though it’s dwarfing. I’ve done some reading and vigor is strong of this combination on the same (salicina x avium) on (salicina x avium). I don’t see a dwarfed tree. That’s in addition to your current question, so, expect some good vigor.

I think Newport-1 will dwarf a lot of other things but not what you’re asking about. It’s actually sort of all over the place as to it’s vigor and very cultivar-dependent that you graft to Newport-1.

B-slip

2 Likes

Thanks for that information B-slip. I can’t find anything online about (salicina x avium) on (salicina x avium). Do you have any references?

1 Like

It’s the same thing! So, of course! I’m sorry you don’t understand. If it wasn’t the same, then you gotta think about it!

Best regards!

1 Like

Let me say this smiling like my last post: the same question would be:

may I graft a peach to a peach. It’s that simple.

If you don’t understand peach on peach as a pure example only, then nobody on here will be able to explain the relationships of phylogeny.

Dax

1 Like

Well I was asking about citations for the reading you said you had done. Maybe I should have been more explicit.

I’ve done some reading and vigor is strong of this combination on the same (salicina x avium) on (salicina x avium).

1 Like

Got any more questions?

1 Like

https://www.freepatentsonline.com/PP21723.html

1 Like

I myself like St Julian as here I’m on about six years had only thrown one sucker. I myself prefer non dwarfing rootstock as it seems to me the dwarfing is a result of some non compatibility. The scion has trouble growing on it so is dwarfed. This must certainly mean it shortens the lifespan of the scion too. I find it much easier to prune instead. My Nadia is around six years old and I find it super easy to keep at seven feet. Easier than peaches as it has active nodes on old wood. You can remove old wood and new buds will sprout. Unlike peaches. Except for apple rootstock dwarfing means it grows only to 17 feet. That still is way to tall for me. I prefer a pedestrian orchard aka one where ladders are not needed.

1 Like

In case anybody was wondering. Nadia doesn’t seem to want to be grafted to peach. Of the 3 varieties I grafted to my next door neighbors cutting-grown peaches, Nadia was the only one not to take, and it was on 2 different trees (although probably the same peach variety or seedling since they were rooted from a bunch of cuttings, probably taken from the same tree I’d imagine).

4 Likes