Honey Jar and Sugar Cane Jujubes just became available!

So…that must mean that the scion I have will most likely match the tree from ogw?

yes, probably autumn beauty. Have to acknowledge @Bhawkins btw, since the original scion was from him, and merely ‘paying it forward’ by sharing with others as he generously shared with me.

grown here, the fruits are like sherwoods at their prime, and seem to be more crunchy and dense than sherwood. We like it, regardless of its true identity. We’ll see if the new shipments from ogw will be different/same. Unfortunately, judging by the size and condition of these specimens, might take until next year to produce fruit.

You won’t get too much sympathy from those of us in less sunny areas :stuck_out_tongue: It will probably take me longer than that to get fruit from the excellent specimens I got today from Grow Organic.

They ship really early for here, but I got lucky with the weather. It should normally be a high of 30-40 today, but instead it was 65F yesterday and 75F today. We’re back to 42F and 39F the next two days, but I got everything planted today.

It doesn’t look like they hacked back the roots much at all. I had to dig a lot of big holes… :slight_smile:

But, it isn’t so bad for just 4 trees.

8 Likes

i know, i know, i shouldn’t be whining about it. Probably should make amends by having a half-full(and not half-empty) attitude–that from what could recall, black sea, norris#1, li,hj, silverhill,and sihong are some of the more precocious ones which bore fruit on first year and at less than a foot tall with thin calipers.

btw, glad to see ‘Grow organic’ joining the competition. More nurseries selling jujus means more choices for the general public.

Is winter delight a better option for zone 5? They claimed it is very cold hardy. Thanks

No idea. But, I don’t think Grow Organic is offering Winter Delight. They just have Li, Lang, Shanxi Li, and Honey Jar. To get WD, you would need to Order from OGW. And from what I’ve seen in the past, their potted trees are generally much smaller than the bare root trees available from DWN/LEC/ToA.

It is only a partial addition- both they and Bay Laurel are just reselling LEC trees. But, it could be good for those who don’t like the root pruning BL does. I’m looking forward to comparing the state of the trees from BL, as the only comparison I have is from non-jujubes.

Has anyone ordered from Raintree? I finally threw in based on this thread. I’d already ordered a Cosmic Crisp from Raintree, so emailed them and told them to add a Hony Jar to my order. They charged $48.24 including tax. One Green World charges $60 before shipping.

I’m wondering what to expect from the Raintree tree as far as size and condition. Why are they so expensive? Are they difficult to propagate or grow?

I’ve considered planting a Shanxi Li also, but maybe I’ll wait and graft to my Honey Jar. Honestly, I don’t know where I’m going to put it anyway.

that’s an excellent tip, as root pruning is against my religion!

I have no idea why Raintree is high…maybe more profit for the stockholders, or a prettier catalog? But they do have some things nobody else has. Burnt Ridge has given the best bang for the buck when it comes to small orders of trees for backyard plantings. (Some wholesale-only nurseries are the best bet if planting a large orchard or something.) For small fruits and berries, Indiana Berry Company is the better bet (but their varieties might not be good ones for the deep south or far west coast…they are the best for Ohio, Kentucky Indiana, Kansas, Missouri, WV and the like. I’ve been tickled with Jujubes, gooseberries, and blueberries from Burnt Ridge.

Don’t believe I’ve ever ordered a jujube from Raintree, but all the other trees I’ve gotten have been great

I’ve ordered from Raintree many times and am happy with their selection and material they ship. I’m not complaining about their prices in general, I’m wondering why jujube specifically are significantly more expensive than other fruit trees.

And its not just Raintree. One Green World charges $60 for bare root.

jujus are extremely easy to propagate, and don’t involve extra costs or care since immune to fireblight/pests and long-lived etc.

i sometimes feel that the very reasons which make propagation so cheap are the same exact reasons why nurseries jack up the price, since if trees are relatively pest-free and long-lived, then won’t have to be replaced as often. So there won’t be much turnover once a customer obtains one or two. In effect, jujus are sold as ‘durable goods’, so priced higher, instead of disposable goods which need to be replaced every so often and in bulk(and that’s where the money is!)

the only reason could think of which make jujus more expensive is that obtaining seeds from the pits for rootstoc involve a lot of work. Many find it challenging to extract seeds without damaging them…

2 Likes

I find Jujube seeds very easy to grow compared to other pit seeds.

3 Likes

I ordered 3 trees on m26 rootstock from raintree last year for my first tree order. I also ordered 2 trees on m111 rootstock from Trees of Antiquity as my second. There is a considerable caliper difference, should of stuck with the m111 since they root better. I did a knee high cut with all of them and noticed that the m111 trees grew much better. I ordered a Reddy Robin Pear from Raintree this year, I will be glad to post a pic if it will help.

Of note, I read alot on this forum and learned alot since I joined but dont post much since I have little exerience to show. I hope this will change in the future. Like you, I ordered a Honey Jar because of this thread lol… I ordered mine from Englands Orchard this afternoon, medium for 35$ before shipping. Cliff is a pleasure to work with. I have a Huk Kam that never leafed and he offered to replace it but I politely declined largly in part because placed it in a large root bag instead of in the ground, I recently did a scratch test and saw green.

4 Likes

M111 is much more vigorous than M26, so one should expect it to grow better.

where did you get jujube seed? thanks

Is Li worth growing if one already has Honey Jar and Sugar Cane or is it underwhelming in comparison?

I actually like Li better than sugar cane.

4 Likes

No kidding? I think I might try to squeeze one in on my property if I can catch one of the big box stores carrying them. Last year they had some, I think it was Home Depot, that were over 5 feet tall.

when grown here, a li fruit in its prime is actually better than a prime hj and sugar cane in our opinion. Of course, taste is an individual thing. Fruits are also much bigger than hj and sc.

hj seems to be the most consistent in taste regardless of time of year the fruits ripened. Sugar cane and li tend to bear sub-par fruits when ripened in july or august in this hot desert. Fruits borne later which ripen sept to nov improve in quality, although sc does not improve much. Seems like sc is more adapted to cooler regions, considering that folks who grow it elsewhere think highly of it. Here, li fruits which ripen in oct-november are hard to beat.

3 Likes