Honey Jar and Sugar Cane Jujubes just became available!

Tony, have you eaten Sherwood before this year and if so how does it compare to your other varieties? Mine is 2 years old but has not produced yet, I think I read it can take awhile.

It fruited for the first time. I will update how it tastes later this fall. It seems fairly large elongated fruits.

1 Like

Hi just a question. How far apart should you plant them and would Honey Jar be a good pollinator for Li. Thanks.

Hi @DAVELn17 , i can’t really put an actual figure with regards to distance, as there may be other factors involved. We’ve grown our jujus like 2-3 feet apart and have been getting bumper crops since(apart from our trees being multi-grafted), but i actually feel that is because we have long photoperiods here in the desert. Common houseflies and little wasps are actually the most active pollinators of our trees, so if you don’t have much flies where you’re at, it could be an issue. The european honeybee, while it does visit juju flowers, the flowers seem invisible or undetectable to them for the most part and will rarely land on the blossoms. Of course, multi-grafting your trees with various cultivars would most certainly solve the ‘distance issue’.

li is self-fertile, and will be just as fruitful by its lonesome as it is when multi-grafted, so in effect, it would be the other way around— that it would be a good pollinator for hj, and many other varieties.

good luck and keep us posted :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Would you say it is more productive than Honey Jar at the same age? It certainly looks covered. Are they crisp like HJ?

I wonder if having the light colored rocks on the ground is helping (not just the seedling, but your other jujubes as well). Reflecting light back up to the leaves? Letting the ground dry quicker?

Several years ago, I had some Sherwood from Roger Meyers. They were sweet and hard/crunchy, but were missing the crispness of Honey Jar, Sugar Cane, and to some degree So. Still enjoyable to eat. Of course my Sherwood hasn’t produced anything yet for a true side-by-side. But I do have 2 of them that have put on a ton of growth this year (one at home and another at a 2nd site), so maybe it won’t be too long.

1 Like

Bob,

The seedling has more fruits set than my HJ but lacks of the crisp. I will use it for tea and help with pollination. I do believe that the medium size river rocks help to increase the temperature around my jujube trees. The four HJs by the sidewalk also get some extra heat from the Street and the cement sidewalk.

My Honeyjar fruitset. Dont know how the tree stands up! Contorted So on the left

9 Likes

otoh, 5 of my trees have this. Probably Cotton Root Rot but hard to say for sure. Good thing is, they’ve started putting on some new growth so I expect they’ll survive.

3 Likes

Bob,

Wow! Very nice and loaded HJ. Lets hope all your jujubes recover.

Tony

1 Like

That’s fantastic!! How old is that tree? I’m drooling.

Katy

9 years. Have a 3 year old at another location, its doing great too

2 Likes

I got mine last year and it had a few fruit. This year it’s had 10 times the fruit this year so I guess it’s doing okay. I’m going to feed it next year and I’ve got soil samples going in.

These are the Monsters; 9 year old 20-25 ft Shihong on the left, 9 year old 20-25ft Autumn Beauty on the right, 10 ft Li in the middle. Shihong & Autumn Beauty are loaded; Li has a lightt crop, its being shaded by the other 2.

6 Likes

7 Likes

Smh!!! I love it! But what do you do with all that fruit?

Katy

friends, church. But we have a problem, we’ve become known. Half my trees, about 10 varieties, are at my office building, with no fence. Surrounded by Dr offices. It seems every day or two 2-3 people will show up & start picking the fruit. I don’t mind people looking at the trees or trying a handful, but 3 people showed up yesterday with bags. I’ve asked how they heard of the trees, they say we’re famous :-(.

Squirrel control methods probably aren’t appropriate.

Guess I’ll get some more “private property” signs

3 Likes

:joy::joy::joy::chipmunk::chipmunk::chipmunk:

You might be even more famous if you use the squirrel method…

I can see how that would happen and it’s not really funny. Maybe signs AND cameras in plain view…

Katy

Just put up a sign that said bug sprayed dangerous to your health.

3 Likes

Now That’s an idea!

So what are your top three tasting Jujubes?
Great pics and trees!