Honey Jar and Sugar Cane Jujubes just became available!

Very good. Update Us with your HJ seedlings fruits. Hopefully, it is a good one so We all can share the fruit of your efforts name Katy !!!

3 Likes

I’m guessing from my trees a couple of months. When is your first average frost?

Katy

First average frost date for me is October 26.

1 Like

You should be good. hJ’s Don’t have to be all brown to be good. They just good when they turn creamy colored. I actually like them about half and half but I’m not picky!!! :wink:

1 Like

Awesome. I’m excited for sure.

1 Like

Love your macro photos…Are you sure you’re not an iPhone sales rep.?

1 Like

hahaha…I could be! The wind was blowing like crazy too…

I think I’ve seen fruit-set in early July in past years. Then, it ripens in mid-late Sept. So 2-2.5 months. So, I think you have a decent chance of it ripening. At least if they stick. Some of the young trees that I thought I had fruit-set on a month ago lost some (Shanxi Li) or all (Chico) of the fruit.

2 Likes

i agree with @k8tpayaso , there’s a good chance you’d get ripe hj fruits @zazlev. And even a better chance next year/subsequent years as your hj continues to mature

1 Like

Yes. That’s great news RAF! So great to hear.

This will only be the second time someone from this site has come to tour my orchard, and that member sort of seemed to loose interest and has disappeared from this site since a few weeks after his visit last year. That doesn’t exactly bode well for my orchard inspiring people does it!!! haha. One look at my orchard and he just threw in the towel. :slight_smile: haha. Hopefully it won’t be so depressing that you give up fruit growing too! Just kidding…I don’t think it’s THAT bad even though it does look rough this late in the season. Looking forward to showing you around and hopefully even sharing a few later straggling peaches!

BTW, after you mentioned finding two small fruitlets on your HJ I gave mine a close inspection and also discovered I have 2 on mine- though they are sad looking and I predict that they won’t develop fully. Meanwhile my SC has a lot of fruit. So it seems my HJ is a better pollinator than my SC. The odd thing is, just like the awesome photos @k8tpayaso just posted, both of my 2 jujubes were covered with all kinds of flying bugs/pollinators. THey bloomed at the same time and are just a few feet apart. SO I just can’t understand why I didn’t get more HJ fruit. It must be what @jujubemulberry and others have suggested about each jujube variety having different peek fertility times I guess. Oh well…probably an excuse to get another jujube. Hopefully Kate will be filling orders by then? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I look forward too it Kevin! As neighbors it’s been to long and hopefully some day next summer I can have you over for a visit.

Thanks Bob! I sure hope they stick. Still a lot of good green color. I don’t see any yellow on the fruitlets. I’m thinking that’s a positive indication.

I’m counting 5 fruits this year still hanging on the HJ!! So excited.

8 Likes

Your tree actually looks better than mine!! It’s been a hard year here. :cry:

I know the feeling. I rationed the few I had last year and would only eat one a day. I have 9 Chico left and about 3 Li this year. :cry::cry::cry:

1 Like

Oh that’s not good to hear for ya Kate! Maybe next year we will all do better.

1 Like

Picked the first seedling fruit today. I don’t know that it is a HJ seedling as I got the fruit in Brenham in 2016. I planted a couple of seeds and this one came up and I was hooked! Well, picked a fruit from it today and I might should have given it another couple of days or so. However it was very sweet and similar to HJ. It’s small though. The tree is small and not in the most fertile soil so I’m going to keep it growing and try the fruit again next year. It still has three more fruitlets on it. It may be a keeper if the fruits size up a bit.

Katy

6 Likes

Give it some Nitrogen next Spring to give it a boost

1 Like

I thought I’d post my Honey Jar that I bought and planted last year along with my Sugar Cane. They both are the same size now and I’m simply amazed by how much growth they have put on. Its hard to tell from the photos, but they are about 7.5 feet tall and bushy But SC only had 3 fruits on the whole tree. HJ, however, is absolutely covered in fruit!!! Its really fun. And they are just now coloring up, so I guess that means they are almost ripe??? Actually, I took this photo just 3 days ago and the fruit was all green but since then many of then in just 3 days many of them have the brownish areas showing up today.

8 Likes

it does look very healthy and happy @thecityman ! Incidentally, it is typical for hj to be more precocious than sc, even here in the desert. And yes, the ripening process commences as soon as the fruits start tanning. They usually get tan at the bottom first, then all over.

1 Like