How is your weather? (Part 1)

It is 66 degrees right now. I spent the last 3 hrs pruning and planting.

Tony

6 Likes

It is nice weather for getting out of the house. I’m hoping it doesn’t turn into an early spring bloom with the danger of a killing freeze. I have crocuses and tulips up 3 weeks earlier than last year. So I’m hoping for some more seasonable weather.

1 Like

Tony is cold and windy and in the 30’s. Tomorrow is supposed to be in the fifties!!! Regardless of temp I am cutting all of my scion wood tomorrow and its going out on Monday!

70 sunny and breezy here. Got all the windows open. Feels great! Pruned an overgrown juniper. Went from this

To this

Mike

8 Likes

Peaches are starting to swell here and some green is showing. J. Plums are close to blooming, definitely good weather. Wish it was April instead of February.

3 Likes

A record possible here (record is 60F)…van showing 61F. Spent a few hours at the park which was packed. Even got to wear shorts…a rarity here in Feb. A+ day.

Mike,
I hope that your Juniper is not the kind that creates the problem of Cedar Apple Rust on apples.

BTW, Today is bright, sunny, windy and very cold (to me). With windchill, it is about 28F. Hpoe we will have a real 50 F tomorrow :slightly_smiling:

60 here just north of Minneapolis. Old record was 54 (1896). Close to 90 inside my raised bed hoop house and the ground is thawing nicely. Hopefully will be able to put in some cold weather veggies in about 2 weeks!

1 Like

Mamuang
If it’s not the 40’ tall cedar that is about 20’ too the north of my apples probably is. Lol. It’s been 3 years and no sign yet. Cedars and junipers are weeds around my area so really no way to avoid them. Just crossing fingers and trying to prevent it the best I can.

Mike

Yup, we have Eastern red cedar and junipers everywhere. I do not personally have any but my neighbors have junipers as their evergreen bushes.

I should stop sharing my apples with them :grin:

1 Like

The lack of snow this winter is allowing these temps to soar. Its down to just a few frozen ice piles in spots around here…and the parking lot glaciers.

I’ve got about a 20ft long low tunnel and i was digging in there yesterday…no frozen soil. I have had it up all winter. Looks very spring like in the extended range.

1 Like

71F feels like 76F. Containers are baking in this heat. Need to move them in the shade!

It was 68 degrees here today so I took my grandson fishing. As we walked around the edge of the pond I was shocked to see a small grasshopper jump in. I looked at the dates on some photos from last spring and I had Nanking cherry blooms on March 29th. I hope they hold off this year, they look like they could bloom in a week or two if this weather stays this warm

Derby.

I have seen green flies. Lady bugs, and Box elder bugs crawling on the side of the house. I guess they can feel early Spring also.

Tony

1 Like

We’ve been running just a tad cooler than average, but will soon have about 3 days a bit warmer than average. After that, it’s back to slightly cooler than avg. I’d say that means the weather is normal here for the time of year.

I had 62 high and 32 low. It was sweatshirt weather most of the day.

If you guys stay on the track you’re on, you will fruit before we do in the southeast!

Now it looks really pretty and very ‘Japanese’. I like it!

1 Like

Strong ridging

RECORD EVENT REPORT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BISMARCK ND
642 PM CST SAT FEB 27 2016

…ALL TIME FEBRUARY HIGH TEMPERATURE SET IN BISMARCK NORTH DAKOTA…

A RECORD HIGH TEMPERATURE OF 73 DEGREES WAS SET AT BISMARCK ND
TODAY. THIS BREAKS THE 84 YEAR OLD RECORD OF 65 DEGREES SET IN 1932.
TODAY`S HIGHS OF 73 DEGREES IS THE ALL TIME HIGH FOR THE MONTH OF
FEBRUARY. THE PREVIOUS ALL TIME FEBRUARY HIGH WAS 69 DEGREES SET ON
THE 29TH IN 1992.

and a trough over the SE

RECORD EVENT REPORT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE MIAMI, FL
435 PM EST SAT FEB 27 2016

…RECORD LOW MAXIMUM TEMPERATURE WAS SET AT NAPLES TODAY…

THE HIGH TEMPERATURE AT NAPLES MUNICIPAL AIRPORT TODAY, FEBRUARY
27TH, 2016, ONLY ROSE TO 65 DEGREES. THIS LOW HIGH TEMPERATURE
READING BROKE THE PREVIOUS DAILY LOW MAXIMUM RECORD OF 66 DEGREES
FOR THE NAPLES AREA, SET IN 2004.

This illustrates it a little better…a surface temp anomaly map

1 Like

Yup. Those reports and that map pretty much sum it up. I shuffled my citrus back inside on Thursday, and will shuffle it back outside tomorrow. I’ll probably wind up bringing it back in for a night or two at the end of the week because I don’t like to leave outside when it’s in the 30’s at night. There are too many blooms right now.

A balmy 74 degrees today with a low of 54.

Buds are almost ready to pop. They are way to early.

4 Likes

Was above freezing here and windy as all get out today ! Still got a couple ft of snow on the ground but I dug down to some apple rootstock ( and found voles got many of them :disappointed:) and the ground is not frozen under the snow ! Got snow and fairly cold temps forecast for this week . And I am not complaining one bit ! For one I like winter and second a real cold snap is a certainty before spring is here to stay ,and I have no desire to have to go through what others have already gone through with things waking up and then getting ruined by the cold.

2 Likes