How is your weather? (Part 1)

Wow, was it hot this weekend. Got to 94 yesterday and 95 today, definitely hottest days of the year so far. It wasn’t humid so that helped a little, but still.

More heat tomorrow, but a bit of a cool off later I week, but with more afternoon T-storms, so guess we’ll be getting back to our “normal” weather for this time of the year.

We got a bit more than 2" of rain over the weekend. We needed all of that, if not more so happy to have it.

2 Likes

Best part about this week is we get to dry out a bit…but it’s still warm and humid…typical summer pattern for our area…

rained hard for us too. glad to see regular rain patterns coming back. all my new bushes i put in are showing great new growth. might even see flowers on my 3ft. golden currants i put in in may. I’ve learned my lesson trying to plant in ground here. all these were planted in raised beds or mounds. what a difference in 1st years growth! before when i planted in ground they would stunt for the 1st year or 2 before putting on new growth. i thought it was my cold weather. lost 2 apple trees and many bushes before i figured it out. thanks to everyones insight on here i figured it out and my yard once again looks like something i can be proud of!

1 Like

We had a major frog strangler this afternoon. the likes I haven’t seen in years…nearly 3 inches of rain in as many hours…roads started to flood on my way home…had to sit at this light waiting for the waves to pass before I could go through…

This is what the creek looked like in my backyard…it came up probably 8 to 10 feet…higher than it was during Irma…
It’s difficult to tell from the pictures but this normally docile creek turned into a raging torrent…other than a bit of minor erosion everything was ok…

5 Likes

Thanks for sharing. Here in San Antonio, we still have 1"+ cracks. The only help the tropical wave has offered is a respite from 100+ degree temps. Which is a huge help, don’t get me wrong… It just sucks watching your neighbors an hour south get 10+ inches meanwhile having 1" + cracks and brown grass, still watering trees… As my uncle told me when I was a kid, “well, today we are one day closer to that rain than we were yesterday!”

bad part with all the rain is that the root systems of these larger trees gets loosened…if we get any kind of winds it will not be good…

Sorry to hear that. I was driving through southern Illinois (I-64 corridor) last week and noticed some fields were under water, I didn’t know y’all were getting that much until I saw it myself.

We planted out tomatoes and peppers a couple weeks ago, and sowed seed for corn, beans, cukes, okra last week. We’re supposed to get some heavy rain the next 2-3 days, just hope it doesn’t get washed out like it tends to do here.

How are your fruit trees faring?

That really stinks.

Its been horrid this year…just rain after rain…clouds clouds…then heat. ALL of my sweet cherries rotted…they just can’t take this weather. I’ve never seen weed pressure like this. I’m just mowing flower beds now …screw it. I’ve composted a lot of trees…chainsawed a few and have plans to remove more. I’m already small scale…now i’m going smaller scale.

Extended looks wet…rain tonite…rain tomorrow…rain Sunday…next week rain…hot the week of the 4th again. It was 98F here Sunday…and yesterday it was 66F …never seen a pattern like this.

I think the wettest year I recall was 1993. Mold everywhere. Hot rain like the monsoon season, every day downpours.

The atmosphere smelled of rot

But this is only June! Like, it’s not yet the solstice! What is to come?

It has been a very dry spring here in Central Maine. Lawns are already turning brown like it is August rather than June. For the first time ever we are irrigating our blueberries & raspberries. We can’t afford to have our berry crop wither away! Fruit trees are still good and look better than ever…especially apples which have no sign of scab so far (a first!)

Mine fell off due to lack of water? dried up and red, only slightly bigger then peas. Thanks for sharing!

high 66,low59. Raining. Loathe weather, my peach tree leafs turning little yellow.

Well, good to hear the fruit trees are doing well, plus the corn.

Our trees are doing OK, but really need to be weeded and munched. I noticed my Alkmene apple and Dapple Dandy trees are getting hit by Japanese beetles already. They’re also getting on my new blackberry plants, but haven’t damaged any leaves yet.

The weeds are awful here too, I really need to be the bush hog going and do some mowing around here.

We have had about an inch of rain today, the last cell that went thru dumped about half an inch. Before that came in, I dug a little mud berm on the uphill side of the lower plot that tends to wash out. It might keep any runoff from above it from going thru the middle of the plot. It’s stopped raining now, with some more coming in tomorrow before moving out on the weekend. The garden plots are a bit muddy but not much standing water yet.

Today’s forecast

1 Like

First 100f day of the season.

1 Like

We were finally down to 88 today and it felt so much better! My sunniest parts of the orchard fry --I have no idea how fruit trees like that, lol.

Verdant Hell has fully set in. Rain, sun, rain, sun, sun, rain, rain, sun, sun, sun. Everything is in and is green and growing like crazy. Humidity hovers around 80% so you can’t cool yourself off if you are too active. Not complaining, just adapting.
Outside ops 6-8AM & possibly 8-8:30 PM
All outside projects on hold until Oct. :blush:

Here on LI NY its #%*}ing COLD!!!
Tomatoes are totally confused hunkering in place
Maybe see some by August. Maybe.
Im in a hoodie sweatshirt. Srsly. Right now.

It was supposed to reach 106 today in the California central valley but only got to 102. Woohoo!

2 Likes