Hybridizing stone fruits

patience brings happiness

2 Likes

Some of my peachmonds have Apricot genes inside the kernels.

It’s time to reveal the inside of a peachmond.
Are you guys ready?

@fruitnut, @Auburn, @hoosierquilt, @speedster1,@drew51, @Alcedo, and others!

3 Likes

Ready

1 Like

2 Likes

The kernels. I took a small piece out of it, and it tastes bitter.

4 Likes

It may be safer to eat if it is cooked.
I’m removing a couple bitter almond trees since I am unsure how toxic they may be.

Did you measure the brix of the flesh?

The flesh was dry like an almond.

Funky! I wonder if you can do something with them.

Feed it to critters. Maybe then they’ll stop raiding our orchards!

1 Like

Animal feed?

Was your initial vision for this cross as a rootstock, intermediate step to a self-fertile almond, or something else?

To be honest, I created this hybrid out of curiosity. I just wanted to see what would a peach x almond hybrid would look like.

2 Likes

Usually the hybrids are good, but harder shelled, and strong flavored. Such as Hall’s Hardy.
Kernels are described as bittersweet. Roasting usually removes bitterness.

1 Like

Peacharines:

3 Likes

This year, I hybridized my peachmond back to an almond. I wonder what would the hybrid; and the stone would look like? It’s new parentage is going to be 75% almond, 25% peach.

Probably like an almond. it may be hard to tell the difference? Looking forward to planting some seeds this year. I think I may grow them inside over the winter, not sure how I will germinate seeds? I have some seedlings now too, it will be awhile before I know what I have.
What is your procedure for germination? I may not respond for a bit, leaving for 11 days in a couple hours.

1 Like

I crack the seeds, then in a sandwich bag, I add potting soil and a few drops of water, then I add the kernels. Finally, I store the sandwich bag in the fridge in the egg section isle.