Hybridizing stone fruits

How long has the tree been in that pot?Containers tend to keep plants smaller. Brady

Three years.

Iā€™m planning to hybridize it with a dwarf peach.

Nothing in such a small container can grow very well, I feel it tells you nothing about it being dwarf or not. Not meaning to be disagreeable, just my opinion. I put my seedlings in a 3 gallon pot, and they will be transferred to 30 gallon pots, now if it was in a 30 gallon pot and grew 2.5 feet, yes you may have a dwarf.
Even in 30 gallon pots, root room is severely restricted.
I know fruitnut uses small pots too, but no doubt the trees are dwarfed from lack of root room. Heā€™s good with that, easy to move, heā€™s not a young man, etc. I will do the same thing in 10 years. Right now though I know I can get bigger fruit, and more of it in the largest possible pot I can find. I can move 30 gallon pots, nothing much bigger though. I discovered that I probably can leave trees out all winter in fabric containers, and may switch to 50 gallon fabric bags, and just leave it!

4 Likes

I took all my seedlings outside the past 2 daysā€¦they are going back out now. I repotted a bunch of pear seedlings. This is a tray of Flavor King.

5 Likes

You might have some winners there! My problem is room! I have three Indian Free seedlings, Iā€™m pretty sure they are Arctic Glo x Indian Free. I just moved them up to 2 gallon root pouches. I will transfer in April into permanent home.

I have other seeds, and want to check for any possible inter-specific crosses, otherwise they will probably be destroyed. Some are planted in the ground, some are still in the fridge in shells.

1 Like

For backyard growers like myselfā€¦the only way i can see is to bud them all 2 one ( a few) trees and get them fruit asap and cull them if they are junk. I had one seedling that fruited last year for the first time and it was so soā€¦nothing special so i got rid of it.

When it comes down to it the cost is next to nothing to do this stuffā€¦so no harm if you have to toss a bunch of seedlings.

The tray of pears i have is going to my brotherā€™s land for his deer plots. His problem will be protecting the trees themselves against the deer.

1 Like

Both parents are outstanding. It has to be a cross too, as Indian Free is not self fertile. Rare for peaches not to be self fertile, makes a good candidate for hybridizing though. Iā€™m looking for a peach that ripens between them. AG ripens here August 8th, and IF October 8th, so hoping these seedlings ripen in between. A very good chance they do. So an earlier red fleshed peach. We do have some that Scott, has, but I donā€™t have them, so I made my own.

Iā€™m also hoping the larger size of Arctic Glo dominates. I do as you do too, have to grow them out. I may also try grafting, but not anytime soon. When I shape them I will keep scion. Anybody know where to get Lovell rootstock? I want it to graft any winners I happen to make.

1 Like

Arctic Glo should fruit for me this year. I have Glo, Star, and Rose all loaded with flower buds so i should be good to try them.

Iā€™m a fan of the red fleshed.

How are you keeping track? It looks like iā€™ve losted a few tags from the summer/fallā€¦ugh. I used masking tape and a black sharpieā€¦fail.

Well I only have three right now! Iā€™m the wrong person to ask. I have 5 unknown fig trees, from losing track! Yikes! What happened is I had some cuttings that failed, and I just threw them back in some moss, unmarked, and sure enough they grew.I was not expecting that!

My proprietary SunRose Peacharine is in bloom. Itā€™s a cross between Elberta Peach, seed parent, x LeGrand Nectarine, pollen parent.

Now, hereā€™s its half sibling, a full peach, for comparassion. Both have the same seed parent.

2 Likes

I have a question to all of you hybridizers: how can you be sure in the parentage of your hybrids? Most of the stone fruits are self-pollinating plus there are pollinators flying all around. To be sure in the right pollinator variety you need: 1) remove stamens on the unopened flowers and protect these flowers from pollinators; 2) protect your pollen source flowers from pollinators because they can ā€œcontaminateā€ them with the pollen of any other trees; 3) Finally after all pollination is done you need to protect them again. I think if you just use the regular brush and hope that you get lucky the results might be very inconsistent.

2 Likes

I gave this method a try last year. It takes a little extra time but there is satisfaction when it works out. My first two seedlings are emerging from this method Jonagold (triploid) and Big Red June apple.

Thatā€™s what I always do, I remove the petals and pollen from unopened flowers, then I pollinate them with the desired pollen. After that, I cover the fertilized flowers with newspaper for three days.

2 Likes

Yes. me too. Sure still a chance of an error, I would add I like working with dry pollen, so I dry it out. I feel I can handle it easier and such. For just plain pollination for fruit I still like drying it.
I consulted with one professional breeder for help. I find stone fruits rather straight forward. Itā€™s much harder with some other fruits. Like brambles. I want to try blueberries, but never worked with those bell flowers,or blueberries, so it may take me a year or two.
Iā€™m excited as I will be getting fruit off a raspberry hybrid of mine this year. Iā€™m almost positive the cross was good from various observations.

For me itā€™s a hobby within a hobby. Just playing having fun. Although this hybrid raspberry looks to be special, the jury is still out, but the impressive growth is very encouraging. I have a few other ideas in crosses for brambles, some for blueberries, and stone fruit. I can see a good possibility I will keep some raspberry hybrids and some peach hybrids, in other words. i expect a few winners, as my goals are not hard, and should be easy to accomplish. Like I like Indian Free and Arctic Glo, so I should like a cross, and maybe it will ripen closer to glo, that is all i want, is an earlier ripening time of a red fleshed peach. Not to trade, patent, or anything like that, just for my backyardā€¦I got three crosses that look like it is Indian Free x Arctic Glo. I didnā€™t do a controlled cross, as any cross is cool with me. Indian Free is not self fertile, so all for sure are crosses. And the seedlings look like itā€™s Arctic Glo, but could be Lucky13 or Spice Zee, but thatā€™s fine too! Itā€™s a win-win.
With brambles I have done the controlled cross, emasculation, bagging of ovaries, collection and drying of pollen. But with stone fruit no, as I donā€™t really care that much what the crosses are, only for me anyway. Unless itā€™s awesome and I will share scion if anybody happened to want some.
If both parents donā€™t bloom at the same time you can store pollen frozen, as long as it is dry before freezing. So the next year youā€™ll have it on time.

2 Likes

I use organza bags, I like them. But newspaper would work too!

1 Like

Thank you for replies , it is nice to know that it works. I may try to pollinate cherry with plum or pluot pollen if I have a time for it.

How do you dry the pollen for storage? Is it as simple as bringing it inside for a few day?

Yes, I just store in a jar for a few days and it drys really well. Becomes a powder, and stops clumping.

Thanks

It still catches well on brushes, and seems easier to use. I can see it better too. My eyesight is not the best!

1 Like