I got my scion wood from USDA yesterday

I think this is what you’re looking for:
http://www.ars-grin.gov/

Yeah…that’s it, now where do I place an order?

Jeff,

Here is a write up I made for another member. It is probably more than you are looking for, but it should get you started and maybe it will help others.

So search for an example of the kind of fruit you want to research. Apples, for example (starting page is first link from “ars grin” in Google):

Oops, bad example, there are a bunch of Golden Russet fruits, including pears…Let’s pick the apple:

There is a bunch of information at the bottom of the page about it. Note, it lists the soluble solids/brix of 21.2% (very nice).

To see other apples, click this link (at the top of the page):

Then, click this link to get the list:

From here, you can filter to see only those which are available:

One other trick I learned is when you want to see everything with a specific characteristic.

Click on “Detailed Accession Observation Page”
Click on the link for the characteristic you want to filter by
Then, click on the link with the number of Accessions to get a list, which you can go through

Hotkeys help going through the list quickly…crtl-click each to open in a new tab, then use ctrl-W to close each tab when you deem it unsuitable.

5 Likes

Click the “Add to Cart” link in the 2nd to last screenshot from my last post. ARS now uses an e-commerce engine.

Thank you so much Bob, that’ll get me going. I couldn’t remember from last year.

592867 Pandy 114- Very large size, intermediate SS (Soluable Solids). Also very firm. Hungarian. Ripe in Geneva on 7/28.

Iezzoni’s paper does not specifically describe the Pandy 114 cultivar. Pandy (Pándy meggy) is a Hungarian type of cherry that includes a large number of cultivars, for example, Érdi bőtermő (Fruitful from Érd), Debreceni bőtermő (Fruitful from Debrecen), Pándy fürtös (Grapy Pandy) и Újfehértói fürtös (Grapy from Újfehértó, a.k.a. Balaton). Pandy 103 is the Pandy cultivar most popular in Eastern Europe. It is described as: very productive tree, good resistance to most diseases and cherry fruit fly, very large (6-7 g) and firm fruit, excellent sour-sweet taste, bright-red and highly aromatic juice. If Pandy 114 is similar to Pandy 103, then it’s a great choice. Pandy 103 is partially self-fertile, good pollinators are Nefris, Lutowka (a.k.a. English Morello) and Kelleris 16.

594350 Shubinka- 23.7 brix, Extra small size. Extremely high SS (the category is named after this cultivar), also very dark pigment. Another article metions that it has " bitter astringent aftertaste" and is “resistant to many diseases”. Russian. 7/17.

Shubinka has very small fruit (2.3-2.5 g) of low-to-average firmness and mediocre taste. The fruit is used only for processing. This cultivar has average resistance to fungal infections and is late into bearing (at 5-6 years of age). It’s only good quality is high winter hardiness.

I don’t know much about the first two, but both Kelleris 16 and Studencheskaya are described as excellent fresh eating cherries with very high taste scores. A problem with Kelleris 16 is its susceptibility to bacterial canker and brown rot (probably inherited from its sweet cherry parent).

Thank you, Stan! It seems you have your own sources of information. Unfortunately most cherry cultivars are not resistant to canker, at least the older ones available through ARS, so I am willing to try them anyway. If you can find the recommendations for the disease resistant AND good tasting varieties it would be great!

It seems like virtually all really good tasting sour cherries have some sweet cherry in their parentage, and sweet cherries are known to be more susceptible to diseases, especially bacterial canker and brown rot.

Here is a (not comprehensive) list of sour cherry cultivars that, according to descriptions I found, have very high taste test marks and are good for fresh eating:

• Vladimirskaia (Владимирская), ARS PI 594351
  • Ukrainian Griotte (Гриот украинский, Ukrainische Griotte), ARS PI 592865
  • Kelleris 16, ARS PI 592877
  • Kentish (Кентская), ARS PI 657724
  • Vavilov’s Memorial (Памяти Вавилова, Pamjat Vavilova), ARS PI 632680
  • Pándy 103
  • Studencheskaja (Студенческая), ARS PI 592872
  • Chernokorka (Чернокорка, Tschernokorka), ARS PI 592869

Of these, Ukrainian Griotte, Vavilov’s Memorial, Pandy 103 and Studencheskaja are supposed to have good or at least above average disease resistance. Of course, there are so many additional factors to consider in choosing a cultivar: precocity, productivity, size and firmness of fruit, pruning requirements, tolerance to frost and/or heat, etc.

1 Like

Thanks for the info Stan!

I couldn’t find Pandy 103 in ARS, though I did find “Pandy”, without a number as well. From the ARS data, at least Pandy 114 should have good sized fruit, as they name the “Very large” category after it. “Pandy” is a newer acquisition (2007, from Romania), which doesn’t yet have any data.

Yeah, I kind of suspected that I’d be using it for processing when I saw the “bitter astringent aftertaste” description. The main reason I requested this one is the high brix. Maybe it will be like black currants- the most horrible to eat fresh make the best jam (I’m thinking of Consort).

I’ve added these to my favorites for next year. Ukrainian Griotte in particular has some good things written about its flavor.

It is often said that jam made of Kentish cherry is truly special and highly prized. Kentish is also very good for fresh eating. Additionally, it is one of the earliest to ripen, very productive and does not require much pruning to maintain productivity. Winter hardiness and disease resistance are average. On the negative side: small fruit size (2.5-3 g) which becomes pronounced as the tree ages, late into bearing (at 4-6 years of age).

Sounds like something to try. It was among the Geneva offerings, but I didn’t add it, as they had no data for it. I didn’t find anything about it in either of the docs either. I’ve added it to my favorites for next year.

I’ve compiled a bunch of info from various online sources and books on ~20 sour cherry cultivars popular in Eastern Europe (most of which are offered by Geneva). However, I didn’t yet have time to translate this compilation to English (from Russian, Ukrainian, Serbian, etc.). Hopefully, I will make the translation in a few weeks and then I will post the file on this forum.

Unfortunately, the Geneva collection is rather outdated (for example, they keep some old Michurin’s selections that have been discarded in Russia a long time ago since they are inferior to new cultivars). There are so many outstanding new sour cherry selections gaining popularity in Eastern Europe, which are unavailable in the US.

1 Like

Thanks Phil. Do you need to give them your UPS, DHL, or Fedex account? I remember read from somewhere that one of these account number is required. How easy to open an UPS, Fedex, or DHL account if it is required??

I’ve placed items in the cart and gone through checkout bu submit button doesn’t seem to work. Any ideas? I also did not input ups account but it does not show to be required.

it worked for me.

But I checked my e-mail. Kevin replied and said they will not able to provide you with the germplasm I have requested from the National Arboretum (NA).

I snail mailed the order form on pg4 of the pdf file. There was no request for funds just an address to ship the scions to.
www.ars.usda.gov. web site.

They do not charge. Its an amazing service.

Where does one find a list of prunus wood they offer? I did a lot of searching and i keep finding dead links. Looks as though they are updating some of their website.