Japanese Beetles 2017

Ugh! Not looking forward to those emerald demonic hordes showing up! 2 more weeks. . . :frowning2:

3 Likes

Worth every cent!

4 Likes

I broke down last season and finally used traps. Already ordered and received mine for this season in prep for the little buggers. The traps really helped last season but you need to be vigilant…emptying bags and changing bag locations as the wind changes.

1 Like

What trap did you purchase?

1 Like

I found that the traps work very well. One thing I do make sure is I place them far away up wind so they don’t draw the bugs to the orchard.

1 Like

I dusted my trees last night with sevin only to have a large rain storm come by 2 hours later. Bye Bye dust. I’m wondering if installing these traps now followed by milky spore in the fall and grub-ex in the spring will knock these puppies out?

1 Like

I put down milky spore two years ago and I am finally reaping the benefits. Last year they were reduced and this year so far I don’t see any.

When I did have problems I found Surround the best treatment. Just make sure to hit everything, if you only hit their favorites they will move on to less favored plants.

4 Likes

We had good results with the hanging traps last year by putting them out before the JB showed up. This year I want to try feeding them to the chickens!

1 Like

There is an interesting write up here:

"Or, try this safe homemade solution: Mix 1 teaspoon of liquid dishwashing detergent with 1 cup of vegetable oil and shake well; then add it to 1 quart of water. Add 1 cup of rubbing alcohol and shake vigorously to emulsify. Pour this mixture into a spray bottle and use it at ten-day intervals on pests. "

There’s also an interesting “fruit cocktail” trap.

They destroyed my entire grape crop last year, I was quite disappointed as it was going to be my first real harvest.

1 Like

Spectracide. Not crazy about the bags but overall they work well. “Rescue” brand has zip lock bottom bags which seem to last longer and require less handling to empty.

1 Like

Yeah those bags look messy and stinky. I watched a youtube video where a guy made a homemade beetle trap in a 5 gallon bucket and was getting 5 gallons of beetles at a time. That had to smell really bad.

2 Likes

And for those of you wondering where they are and have been in a drought… just wait until a big rain comes along and up they come.

Dax

2 Likes

I used Milky Spore and it did nothing, so I tried it again, nothing, bad as ever. For whatever reason it seems to die out here? The last two years I used the expensive BT, see how it goes. My problem is my neighbors do nothing to their weeds, er I mean lawn. So I need to sneak over there and treat that lawn too.

2 Likes

Dax, I was wondering if this might happen here. But hoping that might have been killed by the dry at a vulnerable life stage.

1 Like

Here’s to hoping. I don’t have much hope though. :expressionless:

Dax

1 Like

I ran out and grabbed some more Sevin and sprayed down all my trees really good. Except I totally forgot about the CJ and Juliet dwarf cherries I planted on the other side of my property. Needless to say beetles were swarming all over them and taking their toll. I soaked them down good. Ill have to dust the trees later.

I have mixed feeling about using Sevin. I know it can kill beneficials.

Beetles also seem to love burning bushes. Mine are covered.

1 Like

I used milky spore last year and I have seen a total of 5 Japanese Beetles so far. Definitely worthwhile investment.

4 Likes

Once I swapped out the bag with a much larger one and let it fill - that was a stink!

But I’d never use them now, unless I could sneak them onto the property of some neighbor I didn’t like

4 Likes

I spotted my first JB today on one of my new peaches. We got 1.8" of rain last night so it is almost sure that any residual spray I put down earlier in the week is gone. Guess it might be time to get out the sprayer again tomorrow.

2 Likes

They are just getting started here. I have not found cover sprays to be effective. They just come out of the woodwork after every rain. I have off the chart JB pressure at my primary orchard. Seven Is my goto for JB. It has a unique satisfying knockdown power but, it must be applied repeatedly for several weeks. I had read surround can be effective in controlling JB. I was wondering if anyone can recommend it as effective Jap control?

2 Likes