Japanese Beetles 2017

Iowa,
My Honey Crisp on an unknown rootstock planted around 2008. It was a potted tree that was at least two years old at the time.

In 2013, it had two flower clusters and I had 3-4 apples for the first time.

In 2014, it had not a single flower.

In 2015, it had fruit buds everywhere. I tried to thin so many flowers off to prevent biennialing. I had over hundred apples. ( I have kept my tree small)

In 2016 going biennial, not one single flower.

This year, set lot of fruit buds. I took off many fruitbuds even before they bloomed to try prevent biennialing again.

I love the taste and texture of my HC. Growing in my cold zone, it is a wonderful apple. On some rootstocks, it takes a long time to produce. Worse, its biennial tendency drives me crazy.

4 Likes

Well, based on your and @IowaJerā€™s experiences, I guess you can say Honeycrisp are consistently inconsistent! I imagine other folks have had similar experiences.

Heck, even an orchard owner who manages hundreds of trees who I talked to last year, said he was considering removing his HC because theyā€™re such a pain to grow well.

I suppose that may be a few reasons why they cost more than other apples. Huge demand, and finicky performance.

3 Likes

I must have a root-stock that falls into the ā€œonce a decadeā€ category. As nice as the apple was, Iā€™d for sure take the every other year thing - beats the heck out of every 10 years :slight_smile:[quote=ā€œsubdood_ky_z6b, post:102, topic:11507ā€]
I suppose that may be a few reasons why they cost more than other apples. Huge demand, and finicky performance.
[/quote]

And honestly there are probably many, many other choices that a backyard grower could select and be VERY happy with and not have the struggles that some of us do trying to get HC to crop.

Stillā€¦, Iā€™m optimistic that one year itā€™ll just explode and never look back - giving me loads of nice apples for years and yearsā€¦ (but then I also keep thinking the Cornhuskers will be relevant again someday soā€¦ :smirk:)

Well Tony, based on this post I went ahead and bought some powder today when I was in Omaha since Menardā€™s, Home Depot, & Loweā€™s shelves were all bare wherever the Sevin concentrate was supposed to be stocked.

Talked to an employee at Loweā€™s and she said they have a shipment due in Thursday, and I think she said it was like 5,900 pounds worth or something like that.

They just seem worse than ever this year to me.

Hated to see them and Mizzou leave the Big XII, there were some great old rivalries- KU-Mizzou, NU-OU, etc. Just doesnā€™t seem right that NU is a Big 10 team now.

Maybe they oughta give olā€™ Tom Osborne a callā€¦

2 Likes

Ah the good olā€™ days. I canā€™t tell you how many games I went to down in Lincoln. All my kids were in on a lot of games too. When my daughter graduated and wanted to go to college, of course she wanted to go to Nebraska. Well, Iā€™m like nope - we canā€™t pay out of state tuition. So she went to Iowa State. Day one she put up a Husker poster in her dorm room, and on parents day she called before we headed over and said ā€œDonā€™t forget to bring my Husker Pom Poms & Coolerā€ Here weā€™re are sitting up in the student section surrounded by ISU students and their parents - - feeling like a fish out of water :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yep, there are so many JBs this year. They are after my Asian pears and apple fruits right now. The ones that were cracked by the hail. They smashed into my windshield on the way to work also.

Tony

1 Like

I was talking to a guy today and he was saying the same thing about them hitting his windshield driving down the interstate.

I got most of my apples but ran out of Sevin before I was able to get my McIntosh tree, so Iā€™ll try mixing up some powder tomorrow and see if I can make a dent.

I think weā€™ll finish up with the JBā€™s and then have to do battle with the grasshoppers, theyā€™re starting to show up here in small numbers already.

1 Like

Wooohooo!!! How young is that tree

1 Like

The McIntosh was a container tree planted in '91 and the Haralson was also a container tree planted in '94. So like 27 years on the Mac and 24 on the Haralson.

The Mac is a giant tree, the Haralson is maybe a 12ā€™ tree.

2 Likes

Sevin is an effective way to wipe out an entire hive. It sticks to them and they bring it back to the hive. Iā€™ve seen it happen twice.

1 Like

Is it too late to apply milky spore?

In a normal year yes. but with the current warm wave you still have time.

1 Like

thanks for the warning about the bettles I also have a Stella Cherry Tree