Jujube burnt leaves

Hey everyone,
Has anyone experience sun burning on jujube leaves? I planted a Sherwood and shanxi li jujube in a full sun part of my yard last year. They are growing well and the shanxi li has fruit on it this year. I’ve noticed however that some of the new growth gets burnt in the sun. This year has been rainy and hot so it might have something to do with the weather but I was wondering if anyone else has experience it.
Thanks
Matthew

Happens to mine sometimes. The young leaves are susceptible to it but mine usually grow through it. I had that happen to several of my grafts this year.

Katy

2 Likes

I get a lot of that, it appears very similar to brown rot shoot blight and it may be the same fungus.

1 Like

Have you ever lost a tree to it? I’ve noticed the Sherwood seems less effected by it and is twice as tall as the li. They both keep putting out new growth but nearly half of the Shanxi Li shoots gets blackened. The shanxi li also put out fruit and is still putting on blooms so I’m just not sure what to think about it. The leaves and growth that is on the tree is glossy and healthy looking. Should I be worried about it?

Matthew

Once the trees get bigger they seem to get it less, its on the most vigorous upward shoots that get it the worst and more mature trees don’t shoot up as much. I wouldn’t worry about it.

1 Like

Thanks for the reply I feel reassured the trees are fine. I’m very new to jujube growing, I’ve never eaten one before so I’m excited to see how they turn out.

Matthew

From what I understand Sherwood has a tendency to grow tall and more narrow canopied than other jujubes.

1 Like

hope your trees recover, and as everyone has posted, jujus tend to bounce back after what appeared to be serious symptoms. Also would like to add that we’ve grown our trees in las vegas, nv for many years(and today we are expected to get scorched with the usual high of 113F), yet our jujus grow like weeds here.

it is actually more harmful for jujus to get little sun(harmful to fruit production, but not to trees)than to getting lots of sun. The only time it will be bad for foliage is if trees are severely starved of irrigation, especially if potted and the pots get too hot as well.

more likely that there are other reasons why your jujus have burnt leaves. Perhaps, say, too much fertilizer/too much fresh manure, etc. But as said, juju maladies are generally like pediatric tummy aches: parents and doc’s have no idea why symptoms develop, and likewise have no clue as to how and why they resolve spontaneously and quickly.

1 Like

I just wanted to see if the Honey Jar seeds would sprout with the pits intact and they sprouted just fine. So no need to crack the pits before planting.

Tony

Orange Beauty

Honey Jar

Tigertooth

Autumn Beauty

Overall, Honey Jar is the best setter for me. I did not use any paint brush and lets the bees, ants, and flies doing their job. I also got a large wild Indian jujube rootstock with thousands of flowers for pollination purpose and I think that helped with fruits set.

4 Likes

the pits warp and ultimately crack with changes in moisture, just like lumber warps and cracks when cycled several times through wet to partly dry conditions. Two issues with this approach would be delayed germination(compared to extracted seeds), and the risk of partly-cracked pits which trap the developing cotyledons and difficult to remove without damaging the still-tender seedlings.

Delicate procedure trying to remove the rock-hard helmet gripping the tiny seedling’s head.

3 Likes

I don’t recall ever having sunburn on jujube leaves. I’ve had heat here so bad (111 degrees with 30-40 mph winds for 3 days) that it killed small eucalyptus trees and it never touched my jujubes. You might want to post a photo of that leaf damage.

2 Likes

I have a lot of burnt looking leaves for the 1st time here in Dallas. Kinda looks like when I overfertilized a couple years ago, half the leaf healthy, half burned to a crisp. I’m hoping it’s not cotton root rot, which I think killed an Apple tree 200 ft away. Cotton root rot normally kills trees in a week, this has been going on for a month, at least no jujubee has died yet.

2 Likes

I’ve had that and this heat/dry spell is really hard. It doesn’t do it to every tree though. Most of my potted trees are okay but the trees in the ground is hard to keep adequately watered.

We don’t have a lot of cotton root rot over here…even though we are fairly close it’s just not prevalent here.

Katy

Thanks Katy. These jujubees get to drink from lawn sprinklers…& the moisture meter says they’re fine…& the lawn around them is lush. So I think something else is going on. Perhaps its Cotton Root Rot, which kills roots, & my jujubees survive because they’re draught tolerant…or perhaps its something else, maybe something new.

1 Like