Largest / Best tasting pear

Alcedo,
Thank you for confirming the pear identity. As stated above it does look like Comice to me. Comice is an extremely high quality pear. The expensive and highly prized Royal Riviera pears offered by Harry and David are Comice Amazon.com. When people speak of conference they cannot do so without comparing it with Comice 彩世界,彩世界平台,彩世界网址 . Comice is the standard in high quality pears. Quill if I have a mislabeled tree let it be a Comice every time. You can always graft conference to the same tree or plant a conference pear.

1 Like

Unfortunately late season pears are a pretty big target for insects and animals looking for a free meal. This is one of my duchess d’angoulme pears showing significant damage. Many of these are already in excess of 1 pound!

3 Likes

Still looks good to me. Cut out the bad parts and eat the rest. Sopping rich juicy pear-- mmm, luscious!

3 Likes

I have a penchant for red colored pear, they look so nice, according to my perception they are better in taste.
In addition to the usual comice I also have the red variety it is a spur mutant.

6 Likes

Aicedo,
Beautiful pears. Why are some pears, like the ones in the background, not bagged?

1 Like

on background Conference ready to pick, comice pear needs more time bags are already removed

1 Like

I stand corrected. I looked it up and Comice is often used as an interstem between Conference and Quince C rootstalk. It is the lowest branch as well. Thanks for all responses.

2 Likes

Read it’s one of the best interstems for compatability there is. That’s a fantastic pear to be growing!

3 Likes

Alcedo,
This article was interesting to me that discusses red fleshed pears such as yours Acta Horticulturae .

1 Like

Was reading a post this morning by a member that stated fedco was offering trees so I went and browsed through pears. I found this interesting pear on their site which I cannot identify any better than they could but its very large http://www.fedcoseeds.com/trees/?item=235. My concern is the bumpy flesh and I question what’s causing it? What are your thoughts about this pear? Never saw the pear called sweet hmmm…

1 Like

I thought someone might be interested in seeing this picture of a two pound duchesse d’angouleme pear that a friend sent me. This pear came from the tree my scions came from. Duchesse d’angouleme is very capable of producing extremely large pears! My friend is holding his pear in the photo.

6 Likes

OMG, that is gorgeous. How does it taste? Love love love these heirloom pear cultivars. :pear: :hearts:

1 Like

It’s not melting but it is sweet and pleasant tasting. A pear everyone should grow!

3 Likes

didn’t know a pear could have cellulite–it looks like my thighs! (sorry)

4 Likes

That’s mean! The pear just has a slow metabolism.

3 Likes

Lizzy,
Duchess pears are unbelievably large! They look more stretched and lumpy up close up than the photos can possibly show. That’s one easy way to identify them. Every time I eat one I can’t get my mouth around them so I wind up slicing them up!

1 Like

LOL, I almost wet myself!!

1 Like

Very recently found out about the Charles Harris Asian pear. Scions and information were available on the ars grin site if this is one your researching https://npgsweb.ars-grin.gov/gringlobal/accessiondetail.aspx?1507863. I’ve not seen the pear available elsewhere yet. The description they listed is as follows " A very large, slightly oval Asian type pear developed as a selected seedling by Mr. Charles Harris and reported by him in Pomona. Vigorous tree on calleryana - appears to need about 400 - 450 chill hours.
‘Charles Harris - an Asian pear named after myself. It is a huge pear I selected from several Chinese seedlings. The fruits are oblong, extremely juicy and sweet. It produces some fruit nearly every year. This sort begins ripening in late August and will continue maturing through October in Zone 8. It is a heavy-bearer and its fruit reaches a weight of three pounds under the best conditions. It has very high resistance to fireblight.’ – Pomona 24(3):9. 1991

Pear Tree Commemorates Bicentennial Of Bill Of Rights By BILL MCLAUGHLIN Daily Press | December 25, 1991 The Williamsburg Chapter, Daughters of the American Revolution, recently planted a rare pear tree on the Rawls Byrd Elementary School campus to commemorate the bicentennial of the Bill of Rights. The tree is named for Greta Klingon, second vice regent of the local DAR Chapter. It is a hybrid developed by Charles Harris of Griffin, Ga., from a pear tree growing in the Jekyll Island, Ga., yard of Greta and A.J. Klingon. It is marketed for the first time this year by Ison’s Nursery in Brook, Ga. The catalog describes the “Greta Klingon” as a “very exciting European type dessert pear.” (not sure if this is the same as the ‘Charles Harris’ pear)."

4 Likes

The Charles Harris pear may be the late season Asian pear I’m after. I suspect it might even be later than Korean Giant. I will let you know how it does. Hoping its a good keeper.

1 Like

Well, if that tree does well for you this year and you have some scion wood to spare in the next year or two, I would love to graft some of that into one of my existing Asian Pear trees while they are still young. God bless.

Marcus

1 Like