Largest / Best tasting pear

Great looking pear crop Tony!

3 Likes

Man those look good!

3 Likes

For me, Korean Giant has been the best keeping pear. Obviously, I haven’t grown all the varieties, but it kept until April or May. Unfortunately when that happened, the entire branch broke below the graft. I have since regrafted it.
John S
PDX OR

2 Likes

Duchess has been amazing this year. It is both sweet and sour though the fruit was about half or less it’s normal size. When there is to much rain it turns into a so-so pear really fast. This year my taste were not spoiled with some of my other pears either. Like I’ve said before overall it’s not the best but this year it’s very good.

8 Likes

I just got my first Blake’s Pride pear from a two year old graft, and I’m knocked out! Why have I not heard more about this delicious pear? Maybe because it’s so ugly :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: (see below)! But since it’s pretty large, at least for a first-fruiting, it seems appropriate on this thread. I also got a couple of Maxines from another graft and they were pretty good, but not exceptional like the Blake’s. Oddly, all my grafts that were labeled Maxine, from a forum member here, have started fruiting, but none of my numerous Starking Delicious grafts have fruited. Aren’t they supposed to be the same thing? Do we know for certain they are the same? Thanks for any info, and here’s your pinup:

6 Likes

The only feedback I saw here on Blake’s Pride is from @scottfsmith. He did not think it was a great pear.

Nice looking pear and I’m assuming you were well pleased with the taste. I’m hoping to get some fruit from my grafts of Blake’s Pride next season.

1 Like

@mamuang You know, it probably isn’t even that great a pear, but I’m still enough of a newbie at growing my own fruit, and I still get so FEW fruit, that the ones I do get seem to taste all that much more thrilling to me!
And Scott has probably tasted millions of pears, so he sets a higher bar. Although I suppose it could also be all the differences in growing conditions–Maryland to California…

I had a couple of Tysons from grafts on the same tree that I tasted the same day that were not very good, so maybe the contrast amplified the goodness. I’m not sure I’m picking the Tysons at the right time though. One had fallen off so I figured the other one on the same graft was probably overdue, and I let them all sit for a couple of days. The Tysons were very mealy, and pretty far gone.

1 Like

Lizzy,
Believe me, I am glad to hear good things about Blake’s Pride. It’s one of the two 5 yrs old E pear I’ve planted. Harrow Sweet and Blake’s Pride. HS is great for me. BP has not set fruit. I hope it will next year.

You are also right that we are so different in climate. What is good for you may not work out too well for us here.

By the way, if I were you, I’ d put Tyson in a fridge for a week or two before letting them ripen on a countr. It seems many E pears need that cold treatment to help them ripen properly. Kinda weird to me.

4 Likes

Normally Tyson is a very high quality pear. I would recommend using the tilt test when you pick it.

1 Like

I didn’t get any Blakes Pride this year and I’ve only had fruit for one year so I don’t have the complete picture yet on that pear. Aurora was again great this year so compared to it BP is down a few notches.

My new pear planting on quince is proving too low, the deer are getting nearly all of them. Time to re-train…

1 Like

Not necessarily the absolute best or the largest, but I’ve been getting Concorde pears from my local organic grocery, and they are delish! They definitely need a few days sitting on the counter, but then they are very smooth-fleshed, very sweet, with a lovely floral taste. I’d never had them before, in fact, never seen them at the grocery before. YUM! I just filled my crisper drawer with 'em.

1 Like

Lizzy,
I have posted pics and reviews of several E pears including Concorde I bought from Cornell Orchard store.

I posted a thread called Pictures of Some European Pears For You. It is in the Picture category. You can check it out. I do like Concorde and most of the pears I tasted.

1 Like

I was told that Duchess was a melting pear :frowning:

1 Like

UPDATE: The angouleme pear I just grafted last year produced blossoms this year. As beautiful as they were, I had to snip them off for the betterment of the tree.

4 Likes

This is duchess blooming now if you want to compare them. Your tree looks great and timing of bloom and amount of time before first bloom seem accurate.

3 Likes

Beautiful blossoms. Thanks for posting. I hope to see more on my trees next year.

2 Likes

Has anyone grown the Turkish pear variety ‘Deveci’? The fruit is supposed to be huge. I can’t get any good information on fruit quality but it’s apparently one of the major varieties grown in Turkey. It has recently become available in the US.

As far as I know this is Deveci‘s first year here in the US. The fruit is lumpy and round. I’m not sure about taste but reviews are good. The cost $16 Pear Trees - Asian, European and Hybrids. The description says “Deveci Pear - From Turkey, a well-known pear sought after for years. It was a hidden secret of the owner and was found growing in a dense forest, unseen by passersby. This pear has a beautiful red blush and is round and squatty. It is similar to an Asian pear but with all the texture and full body of a European pear. This pear comes highly recommended from us and friends in Turkey. It is grafted on to OHxF87 semi-dwarf pear root stock.”
www.treepeony.com says “Pyrus communis

Variety description: Rounded fruit with yellow-green skin which develops pink-red cast where exposed to sunlight. Flesh is sweet and juicy, very aromatic.

The ‘Deveci’ pear is from Anatolia and has become increasing popular amongst commercial growers in Turkey because of its high fruit quality, bountiful production and the long storage period of the fruit.
Site requirements: Full sun location. Pears will grow in a range of soil types provided the planting location is well drained. Soil pH of 6.5 is ideal.

Hardiness: USDA zones 5-9.“

There are trees for sale in Bursa Turkey now on eBay https://m.ebay.com/itm/Deveci-Pear-grafted-from-Turkey/162993426830. The fruits are interesting

3 Likes

Clark: did you find this Deveci Pear - From Turkey for sale anywhere else? Seems to be sold out and the eBay post is gone.

1 Like