My "Romance series" cherries

This is what they look like when they are ripe in July

8 Likes

This is how I cared for my carmine jewell cherries by top dressing with aged cow manure and wood chips.

2 Likes

Clark

My CJ And CP Are coming along good with fruits set.

Tony

CJ

CP

3 Likes

Tony,
They look excellent and I can’t wait to see pictures of the ripe fruit. I’m especially interested in cp since you and I live in similar climates.
Clark

You just made my mouth water! I’m going to have to get some of these. I’m growing the big trees and these look so much easier to grow and pick. Your going to have a lot of cherries! The deer got my Rainier tree last night. It’s only missing a couple branches at least.

1 Like

My Girlfriend is not convinced bush cherries are the way to go since she grows Montmorency. Montmorency are a little more sour and as you can see a lighter red but they really are an incredible tree for this area.

8 Likes

All of your picture make me want to take the plunge into growing the romance series. They look like you could easily cover the plants for bird protection. Thinking of adding a few this fall. About one more run of these pictures should seal my order. Thanks for posting the pictures. Bill

2 Likes

Nice looking tree she has clark. My own Montmorency seems to be carrying the heaviest fruit load ever this year. This reminds me, I have to order some bird netting before they get red or I’ll get nothing.

1 Like

Appleseed70,
Thanks she loves that tree. I know how much fruit they produce and can imagine you are preparing for it. Hers produces by the 5 gallon bucket fulls. Hope all is well with you apples. As good as the full sized trees are we know they are hard to spray, prune, net, pick the fruit etc. the Carmine Jewell is wonderful for all the aforementioned reasons. I don’t think my bush cherries are as productive and wondered if anyone happens to have data on peek production, longjevity etc.? They still produce very good just not as good as a full sized tree. here are a couple of more pictures

1 Like

Nice to see healthy trees fruiting. It’s my goal!

1 Like

I will have a lot of Carmine Jewels in the future, counted 8 suckers today, one already 10 feet away, guess it’ll sucker like Evans for me.

1 Like

KlecknerOasis I have a few suckers this year and was wondering how old are your bushes? I also wanted to let everyone know my carmine jewell’s are actually ripening now a month earlier than they have in other years. They certainly made a liar of me saying they ripen in July.

Got a tiny plant from gurneys back in 09, in 2011 I cut it in half and moved the 2 to their permanent spots.

2 Likes

I have two volunteer bushes coming up in my strawberry bed about ten feet from three Carmine Jewels. I wondered if the birds had spread them or if they were just wild cherries coming up there. I didn’t think there had ever been any cherries on my Carmines yet to spread. Now I wonder if it is a sucker. Does anyone know if the wild chokecherries and pin cherries look the same as a Carmine Jewel bush when young. I see no difference between these and my nearby Carmine Jewels. I guess I will let them grow and see what happens.

I get a lot of tip death on my CJs and my nanking cherries here in Maine. I’m assuming it’s an insect…help…what is it and what should I do about it? Thank you in advance.

My first thought would be winter freeze injury. But if you can see insect damage that might be the case.

I posted this earlier.Does the damage look similar? Brady

Grasshoppers girdled the tips of mine last year. Birds need a water supply available but they eat a lot of grasshoppers so encourage them to hang around. Plant mulberries and they won’t eat cherries

I’ve tried some bush cherries but here in our wet Spring climate, none have produced well yet. Montmorency outproduces everything I’ve seen by a large margin so far.
John S
PDX OR

That’s good because we have wet humid weather here too and I only have the Montmorency. I wanted to get some bush cherries but maybe I’ll just hold off.