Nadia Sweet cherry x plum hybrid

Bob yours is already ahead of mine. Mine just has little teeny leaves. I fertilized it well and its in good soil based on how the neighboring trees are doing.

This is my Nadia. It stayed on the stage of the tiny leaves for about 3 weeks or so until finally it began to grow.

The leaves look about half way between cherry and plum, to my untrained eyes.

I think this will be one of my 2 new fruit trees to add next winter. It can be planted near 2 multigraft plums and 2 cherries.

This is not about Nadia, but another plum from Australia with high level of antioxidants. Very interesting article.
Queen Garnet superplum

At risk of continuing a thread hijack, apparently that Queen Garnet plum has about twice the anthocyanin concentration of a typical red-fleshed Japanese plum. Is it really so much of a breakthrough to justify such focus on that one variety. I wonder how many varieties have been tested?

For reference, aronia have about 5 times the anthocyanin concentration compared to Queen Garnet plum and black currants and black raspberries have 2-3 times as much. Perhaps these plums are easier to grow in volume, but not if availability to growers is constrained to avoid becoming a commodity.

1 Like

I grow a lot of those items, very cool!

Since this

thread has been revived, how are your Nadias doing?

Mine are doing great!

Nadia Number two:

Wow weatherman that looks great. Wish mine looked that good.

Mine is probably going to be dead in a few days. Only a few leaves are left. Fortunately the graft backup I did is taking off.

When I cut my tree back for planting I also grafted some scion to a mature plum tree but they only grew a few inches and stalled also, hopefully they take off though.

Since they can be pollinated by a plum, it would be interesting to see what grows from their seeds. If anything.

Request replacement! I may have to with a weeping Santa Rosa, which seems to have stalled. Although i feel like giving up on this tree.

If pollinated by a plum, the result will be 75% plum, 25% cherry.

Why?

The plum pollen parent will donate 50% of its genes to the seedlings, and Nadia will donate 25% of plum genes, and 25% cherry genes. So add up 50 % plum plus 25% plum= 75% plum, and then add the rest, 25% cherry.

Weatherman, that might be tasty. Maybe use a plumcot… :blush:

I’m a little confused. For the folks complaining of stalled trees, are they declining, or just failing to grow?

Isn’t in common for a newly planted, bare-root tree to take some time to recover from transplant shock. The initial burst benefits from stored energy, moisture and more mild weather, but then reality kicks in and the hacked and only partially established roots have to keep up.

Are you guys assuming these trees are goners, or just ticked off that they might be retarded by a year or at least the better part of one?

1 Like

My experience with bare-root plums matches yours. First year survive, next year drive, and the third year thrive. Bill

1 Like

Losing leaves is declining. In my little experience trees that put out leaves and they wilt, the tree has no resources to try again and will die.

Mine was put in about 2015 05 08 here it is on 2015 05 20

Here it is today 2015 06 03

I have not decided what scaffolds to keep yet. I probably will shape tree when dormant in late winter. Current scaffolds are low enough for me. I will probably tie some down in the next week.

Or as they say here, Auburn:

First year sleep; second year creep; third year leap!

3 Likes

I think I may be the only person with a complete dud. Like Drew said, when the leaves start wilting you know that you are headed down. Last I looked only a couple leaves were still alive.