Nectarines just better

Generally around 30 leaves, but it depends partially on how ripe the fruit is and how much time it will take to grow new leaves to serve still unripe peaches. Not like I count- just a ball park thing with certain variables. How big the leaves- how well exposed…

2 Likes

Oh I see. I mis-interpreted your statement.

Thanks a lot,

Dax

2 Likes

Well here’s a pic of my nectarines today: Independence

HardiRed

4 Likes

Here’s my one lone Frost peach on my little FP tree that had at one point 90% leaf curl. All the hot weather the last 2 months have helped the tree bounce back and develop the lonely peach very nicely.

Here’s other Frost peaches on one of my fruit combo espalier tree

on this tree the peach branches are more productive than nectarines

Ate 2 store bought peaches yesterday and much prefer nectarines.

Anthony

4 Likes

So I’ve seen Independence described as white on some nursery sites and yellow on others… Which is it? How do you like it?

1 Like

Independence is definitely a yellow nectarines with strong acidic flavour (not bland like most white nectarines). I bought 2 Ind. trees previously and we liked it so much I added 2 more to my urban orchard. Highly recommended. We were at the local fair all day and came home to have some nectarines for snacks and ended up polishing off all 24 fruits from my tree. We each ate half a dozen and would have kept eating if our tree had more.

Anthony

4 Likes

I’m liking the sounds of that - especially the polishing off 24 of them. Thanks for the information.

2 Likes

Very nice looking Independence nectarines, one of the better yellow nectarines, and always ripe here on the 4th of July.Here it is not as acidic, actually well balanced, more sweet than/ tangy flavor, but very high flavor!. For many years this was my favorite fruit, before my home orchard. Really enjoy seeing your orchard pics in Burnaby, BC. As kids we vacationed in Port McNeil, Vancouver island. Some of the best fishing in the world. We often drove through Burnaby to miss Vancouver traffic to get to the fairy at Horseshoe Bay. What a wonderful place to live! Your orchard is lovely and looks very productive!!

2 Likes

Thanks. When I was doing my Masters thesis research in aquaculture engineering I worked on ocean fish farms out of Port McNeil, Port Hardy and Tofino so i know Vancouver Island well and love the area and the super friendly inhabitants. We are borderline for growing really good peaches and nectarines but thanks to climate change the summers are longer and hotter. It does require some extra considerations such as training branches or planting trees under some overhead protection. However I’ve always been a “push the envelope” type of guy so along with my “regular” fruit trees, I also grow pomegranate, olives, contorted & dwarf overbearing mulberries and of course my 32 citrus trees. I’m more of an OCD collector of edibles and fruit trees but I make sure I learn as much about how to keep my fruit trees alive and productive. I’m glad you enjoy the photos of my urban orchard my friend. Btw I meant the Independence nectarines are acidic compared to white nectarines but not tart. Great balance between sweet and great classic nectarine flavour.

Anthony

2 Likes

My wife and girls kept asking me to go pick more and so I was harvesting nectarines by moonlight and flashlight, lol. My youngest was 5 at the time and she ate 6 nectarines.

5 Likes

Pushing the envelope indeed! You live in a good area for stonefruit, but citrus, pomeagranites and olives? Wow, pretty cool indeed up there!! I remember working 60 miles north of Kamloops, BC, at a fishing lodge, and driving to Kamloops for supplies. One day, in the middle of summer it was 111 degrees, in Kamloops, I realized then your potential of growing good fruit! The people up there are super friendly as well, great place to live for sure!!

1 Like

The problem in Metro Vancouver for growing nectarines, apricots & peaches is all the rain during our typical wet, cold spring. That knocks all the blossoms off the stone fruit trees, which is why everyone around here is shocked when they see my nectarines and peaches, especially. All my most productive branches are trained under some sort of overhead cover. I have a huge branch of peach that extends far above and out of my pergola and I have I think 2 peaches on that whole section of tree.

If under cover, I’d have 20 or 30 peaches probably.

Anthony

3 Likes

I just ate a small Eastern Glo nectarine. Perfect! Only reached 17 on refractometer but more sugar would not have further impressed my palate. That’s right Fruitnut.

Wow.

7 Likes

Congradulations…!! You deserve some good fruit. You’ve worked hard to get what you have.

2 Likes

Just can’t wait. These are from my combo tree planted just under the eaves of my open greenhouse with most of the branches trained inside the gh

8 Likes

They have the look of high sugar.

3 Likes

The label I just found says it’s HardiRed nectarines. I’m very much looking forward to eating these beauties.

2 Likes

Those don’t look like my Hardired. Mine are deep red, but maybe the shade of the greenhouse makes yours lighter. Mine also look smaller, but it’s hard to tell the size from pictures.

I’m pretty sure my Hardired is true to tag. At least I’ve found it to be very hardy and very red.

It doesn’t produce all that good of fruit here. The very largest fruit in the upper canopy are good and sweet, but the sugar and flavor fall off drastically on the other 2/3rds of the fruit.

2 Likes

Arctic Glo is firm ripe, so I picked them. A couple days on the counter and they will be awesome. I tested brix and it came out to average about 18, some were over 20, and these are not dead ripe. Some were 14. All taste excellent to me. Running small, low water, not enough thinning for sure. My bad, probably could have got them to 23 brix if I thinned more. About 120 on the tree, I didn’t count them.

Some sugar spots, my other fruit looks even better.

Fantastic taste as usual, super juicy like plums.

The birds got about 20 of them, which I will cut up and freeze.

21 Likes

Those look great Drew!

1 Like