Nectarines just better

I love NECTARINES!!!

2 Likes

Some of my pluots are almost ripe too, looking good!

13 Likes

Nice

2 Likes

Nice fruits. those A Glo look 100x better then mine did. Maybe next year iā€™ll see better results.

Birds have been a huge issue this year. Everything with any color gets hit unless itā€™s been covered. I had some beautiful huge flavor king get smacked again this morning (the covering fell off). Iā€™m seeing good results with just using bread bags//as long as they stay onā€¦

We had some Flavor Grenade today . Very good.

1 Like

I added that as a graft this year, and it took well, probably wonā€™t see any for a couple years.

2 Likes

I have two nectarines. My Hardired is an earlier producer than my Gold mine. Itā€™s fruit is larger and very delicious. I have successfully grafted Dapple Dandy Plucots on both treesā€¦ I keep bees and pollenation is never a problem. More than often I have to remove fruit early aslimps would be overloaded. Looking to graft apriums, Reliant peach, and several more varieties of Plucots.

1 Like

Those look like my Silver Gems. My Artic Glos had pure white flesh and did not get up impressive sugar. I donā€™t get it.

1 Like

In the description glo is suposed to have a lot of red in the flesh. Mine hasnā€™t fruited yet, so I have no first hand experience. Could yours be mislabeled

1 Like

Thatā€™s what has me worried- got 10 trees from ACN and several fruited for the first time this year. None had any red in the flesh and they were mediocre nectarines.

1 Like

Yeah it sounds like a mix up, wow, that sucks.
Mine are not as red as some years, some years the flesh is pure red.

http://www.davewilson.com/product-information/product/arctic-glo-white-nectarine

5 Likes

Mine had no where near that amount of red in themā€¦but like i saidā€¦they were turdsā€¦iā€™ll see if next year is better.

1 Like

Did you get your tree from ACN?

1 Like

Mine came from Bay Laurel. Mine were brutally ugly ā€¦Like i ate one and i could hear the brown crustiness cracking.

1 Like

I hope they didnā€™t get the silver gem and glo mixed up, and the bland is actually silver gem, I was going to get a silver gem

3 Likes

That makes sense, as why would ā€œSilverā€ Gem be red inside and out? But looking it up it is! Silver Gem sounds good! Arctic Glo probably is more acid. It has a bite. Indian Free has even more acid. I got my Arctic Glo from Grandpaā€™s nursery.
I donā€™t think you need both, one or the other. If Arctic Isnā€™t working try Silver Gem.

1 Like

I donā€™t know how well it is going to work yet, the tree is only 2 years in ground. Lost all the blooms to late freeze, but the tree itself is very healthy so mabye next year

1 Like

Alan,
Dave Wilson has a pic of Arctic Glo with redness similar to Drewā€™s. Mine shrivelled and could not make much of it. Not sure what yours is but probably not Arctic Glo.

Arctic Star has white flesh but even the not quite ripe one I had still was sweet.

@Drew51, your Arctic Glo look fabulous.

4 Likes

I had my first nectarines of year (my daughter ate 2 Independence nectarines from my greenhouse tree a few weeks ago) and they were soooooo delicious I could eat a dozen in one sitting easily. Big, juicy, super flavorful. Omg the last one (4th nectarine not in pic) I chilled in the fridge for a couple hours waa arguably the best nectarine ive ever eaten. Again the label says Hardired but it wasnt super red on the outside and yellow fleshed. Far better than any peach ive ever eaten.

Anthony

5 Likes

Hardired is the nect I didnā€™t buy when I chose Mericrest instead

1 Like

Iā€™m picking major weight of really beautiful Summer Beaut nectarines the last few days. Brix is lower than ever and less than earlier varieties, coinciding with very good size. The wet conditions seem to affect every variety differently. I expect some varieties coming up will be much sweeter and better. These will be fine for culinary use.

One thing Iā€™ve observed is that on all varieties it is the individual fruit with no shine on the skin that have the highest brix. The beautiful, shiny ones are the bimbo nects. Ever noticed this Fruitnut?

I should mention that the fruit has not been sprayed with fungicide for 3.5 weeks and most is pristine and store perfect although we continue to get rain a couple days a week. Any rot is on a few cracked or otherwise damaged fruit- brown, not black. Summer Beaut has proven to be relatively crack resistant over the years here in NYS.

1 Like