New Apple Seedling Varieties

Looks good! What variety is their flavor similar to?

2 Likes

They are better than anything that Iā€™ve eaten. The closest is a really good honey crisp. They are a very late apple that I usually pick while itā€™s snowing.

2 Likes

I left all my seedlings (just 6) in pots last winter and the rabbits pruned them the same way. But they grew fine afterwards. I also took scion cuttings and grafted them onto mature trees, so hopefully I can get a taste in a year or two.

Iā€™m not sure if it was due to growing in pots, but I did notice powdery mildew on one of the seedlings. Iā€™ll be watching to see if it is further afflicted by it in a more ā€œnormalā€ growing situation.

Do you keep track of the parentage of your apples? Unless you make controlled crosses (some of mine are) you wonā€™t know both parents, but the mother should be easier to track.

1 Like

Bob I do keep track of the mother which is always a wild seedling 2nd generation. The father could be any apple within miles. The wild stock appears highly dominant. The original seeds came from apples in a remote place where only wild apples grow on their own which we selected for size of apple and vigor. The parent wild apples had never been sprayed or pruned. Since the parents were grown without assistance of man many of the seedlings have the same characteristics which is what Iā€™m looking for. I have a dozen or so mature seedling apples.

2 Likes

You may want to try some Kazakhstan apples. They seem a lot like the wild ones, in terms of disease and insect resistance. I had several varieties this spring which had almost no insect bites, in contrast with the rest of my apples, which had plenty of bites, even with a coat of surround. Iā€™m not sure about the flavor- this will be my first year to sample them (other than the 1 which grew from the graft last spring).

3 Likes

Bob,
Let us know how they turn out. They sound like a fantastic variety!

Bob, what was your technique for controlling your crosses? Iā€™ve watched a few videos online, but Iā€™d rather hear how you did it than figure out I made a mistake seven years later.

1 Like

Those are some darn nice looking apples. Do you ever sell any scion wood?

2 Likes

Thatā€™s awesome Clarkinks, I like the idea of new varieties.

1 Like

I am not always looking for the biggest prettiest fruit, one with good flavor and resistance to bugs sounds good to me.

3 Likes

Here is a few seedlings I have started.

4 Likes

I Chop off 4-5 flowers which look like they are about to open, then save them in a glass for a couple days to dry. After that, I chop them up with scissors, at which point you should be able to see some some yellow pollen.

On the female side, I find flowers which look close to opening and remove all their petals, either pulling them off or with very small scissors (sometimes pull on them all, then trim the remains). I then use the paintbrush or a bit of frayed rope to pollinate. I try to repeat twice a day for a few days.

It is also important to remove all the other flowers which are close by, otherwise it would be easy to lose track. I use a colored twister (the kind used to close bags of bread) to mark which apples have been pollinated.

5 Likes

Bob

After hand pollinate, donā€™t you cover that flower up with a paper bag for a few days so that no other pollens can get in by wind or insect?

Tony

2 Likes

Tony,

Thatā€™s not a bad idea, but from what Iā€™ve read, removing the flower makes bees lose interest. Wind wasnā€™t considered a significant pollinator either.

But, I just did a quick search on wind pollination and found this which says ā€œrapid decreases in fruit set with increase in distance from pollinizer varietiesā€. Given that most of my trees are pretty close together, I should probably protect against the wind.

2 Likes

What were the original apple trees you started with?

2 Likes

Tony,
You had mentioned a location with rare fruits etc in KC last year. Are they doing that this year? Do you remember the name of it? Many of us local growers know each other and exchange scions etcā€¦ Iā€™m wanting to meet the people that run/ attend that. Thanks

I think it is call Powell Botanical Garden about 30 miles from Kansas city.

Tony

1 Like

Thanks Tony

Another one of my wild apple seedlings is getting ready to come in production this year. Its exciting as I think it will be another good one. When I produced these seedlings I wound up with several excellent apples.

4 Likes

This is a great thread. Thanks for sharing it. Iā€™m looking for trees for a wildlife application. One reason Iā€™ve avoided domestic apples is the maintenance issues involved. The trees you show look perfect for my application.

2 Likes