Out with the old (and problematic)

Took down two fruit tree today due to seperate issues. The first was a Santa Rosa plum which had crown gall (first 2 pics), and the second was a superior plum which had borers (though not life threatening), but i was generally annnoying with its weeping tendency (3rd, 4th, 5th pic). I am replacing them with a burgundy plum and a emerald beaut which I just bought rooted from a local nursery.

6 Likes

Sorry about picture rotation, dunno why it keeps doing it to me on this phone

2 Likes

Was your Superior plum on peach roots?

I have one from Gurney’s and I believe they put their plums on peach roots. Which is annoying because of peachtree borer, and would also make the whole tree less zone hardy than it should be.

1 Like

I grafted mine onto k1 last year

1 Like

Those sure look ugly!

1 Like

I dislike how many trees are grown on peach roots. Much rather grow on anything else…

1 Like

Do you suppose it might be that the growers are largely from CA, where they don’t have all the problems those of us on the other side of the mountains are afflicted with?

1 Like

Then what is Gurney’s excuse? They are in the east. I assume their contract growers or nursery operation are in the east too.

My guess is they use them because peach are fast-growing seedlings, cheap, and compatible with peach/nectarine, apricot, and hybrid plums.

1 Like

Yes…and i think there just isn’t enough success with some of these other non peach roots (k1/etc).

I have peach growing successfully* on FQ pluot, a pluot seedling of some sort, k1, k86, a seedling that i believe is from a wild plum (prunus americana) and a hybrid plum (alderman)… so lots of possibilities out there to get away from pure peach===with a big * because compatibility issues may pop up at any time…nothing i’m seeing yet, but it is probably coming…so far i’m seeing peach on apricot is not a viable graft.

I’m liking k1 (so far) because it seems to give me the right amount of growth (peach seedlings are weed trees—so much growth so fast—hard to keep up with). I’m starting to really understand why i like container trees, and one of the main reasons is dwarfing effect…so easy to cover from birds/squirrels/frost… something a big huge tree makes almost impossible. Obviously the negative is less fruit////

1 Like

This was on citation, which seems to be the most common stone fruit root stock from dave wilson.

1 Like

I live in Boise, which is very favorable for fruit growing. It is frustrating that everything is on a peach stock because plums don’t seem to be as vigorous as peaches, which means they have all the issues as peaches, but less ability to outgrown them.

1 Like