Possibly Friendly Bug

Maybe ‘Bug ID’ could be a Reference category. I never seem to find anything on the interweb that is exactly like what I’m looking for. This one is very lacewing-like, and thus possibly a beneficial bug re: my fruit trees. This one was actually on a young Hickory tree. It was kinda of colorful, with a bit of that rainbow sheen. Kinda long neck and creepy looking…very watchful of me. 'Bout got my spray stuff going, but I thought I’d better check in case it’s friendly. Any idears?

3 Likes

Stonefly. I’m not sure what adults feed on (or if they feed at all). Most of the life cycle is spent as aquatic nymph. You will find empty shucks that kind of look like an alligator shed it’s skin on rocks above the high-water mark near creeks and rivers.

2 Likes

If stonefly the adults don’t feed. They mate, lay eggs, and die.

2 Likes

I would like to know too, I have seen a few around here and they look creepy. As a fly fishing guide i can tell you its definitely NOT a stonefly.

1 Like

That is a Snakefly

…an important predator to aphids and mites.

3 Likes

Bingo! Not necessarily friendly but an enemy of my enemies, so…

Yah, kinda spooky lookin’ and very watchful, aware of being watched, and always moving to stay out of sight if possible. Thanks for the responses.

Yeah, the reason I knew is that I saw one about two years ago and thought it was so interesting looking that I did a bunch of reserch until I figured it out. Now that I know what it is I seem to see them more frequently. I actually like the way they look.
Preying mantids have the same Kind of predator watchfulness.

2 Likes

Yah, they turn their heads…

Here’s another strange lace-wing type of bug…very different though, in that it has a big, thick body with a wide head. I thought I’d ask you first before I post it generally. Your research and knowledge is valuable.

Nother Lace 6581 a

Nother Lace 6590 a

Nother Lace 6589 a

I think It is type of cicada

2 Likes

Looks like a cicada

1 Like

Yup think so

1 Like

I’ve never heard of them being around here until last year when they chewed holes in a few little branches. Considering that, maybe I should extinguish it?

OK, I just read enough to answer my own question…it’s gotta go. Thanks for the responses.

1 Like

I have very similar ones here, they don’t make the classic loud buzzing sound that you think of with cicadas, they make a clicking sound. They make cuts in the branches on the trees and lay eggs in them… when they hatch out I believe they drop down into the soil and feed on roots, until after some odd amount of years go by, crawl up the tree and molt into adulthood and the cycle begins all over again.
If you notice small half inch long scars on branches it’s probably from the cicadas.

1 Like

I’ve seen the vids with people who have trees covered with them…whole neighborhoods. I’ll attempt to seek out every one and remove it before we get a plague. I suppose there are more around but I gotta do my part. Thanks.

Most years there are not too many and they can be ignored. Its during the big swarms that you need to go on a cicada killing mission (which will only make a small dent anyways). In 2003 I think it was the 17-year brood did some horrendous damage to my orchard. More recently I found they really dislike Surround and will head to the nearby woods if I cover all my tree branches.

Good to know Scott. After doing a little research I found other people in Oregon who wondered if cicadas exist here…and they do, but there aren’t many and they’re quieter (Orygun). One take-away = “Many people around the world regularly eat cicadas.” Hmmm…some nutritional value.
I’m wondering if a person finds evidence of branch wounding from egg laying if the branch could be removed taking the eggs with it. Of course that would depend on the timing (and the branch) but it seems like the concept would have merit here, where there aren’t large hoards of Cicadas, and in my case, where I could easily look over each tree occasionally because the trees are small and few in number. I’m learning a lot about this critter thanks to all y’all. I’d like to avoid a take-over of my few trees.

1 Like