Purple reign

I observed what appears to be another fungal growth at the site of a Morus nigra leaf lesion. Notice how much larger these conidiophores are compared to the last image (same magnification).

I also took another photo of the initial fungal type, looking down onto the leaf surface. Doesn’t look like Morus nigra stands a chance here in the deep southeast.

2 Likes

Sounds like a real war going on out there! It’s the “other products” that always has me concerned.

1 Like

That’s YUCK!

1 Like

My sentiments exactly!
Have you had much rain lately? And are you seeing any leaf spots on your Morus nigra?

1 Like

We have had rain and our higher temps are beginning to get hit now. We’ve had a cool spring. I had not noticed anything until you posted. I do have some brown but I think most of what I’m seeing is trauma but I’m watching closer now. Not many leaves are affected and we’ve had a lot of wind and some hail.

1 Like

Should I spray it with something…???

1 Like

If you are not seeing much leaf spot then I wouldn’t be concerned at this time. Mulberries and figs do just fine with slight infestations. I sprayed with a fungicide (and am still spraying) just to see if this is what it would take to keep a Morus nigra alive and growing well in the Southeast. All of the old growth is covered in fungal leaf spot, and I don’t want the new growth that is pushing out now to get infested. Besides, I don’t really know if this is the main culprit in the southeast, and if the plant still dies after continuous fungal treatment, I will know there are other issues to decipher.

2 Likes

impressive microscopy studies you have been posting @Livinginawe!
your contributions sure added another dimension to this thread :thumbsup:

4 Likes

After much deliberation, I summoned the fortitude to perform the surgery outlined in an earlier post on one of my Morus nigra seedlings that was stubbornly refusing to come out of dormancy. I chopped off the top, with leaves and all. And voila! A picture worth a thousand words…New growth…

8 Likes

I think a “congratulations” is in order! I think I’m going to try your method on an ‘Illinois Everbearing’ that has refused to break dormancy but is still very green with the scratch test.

2 Likes

I hesitate to post because I am not one to tempt fate but just giving an update. My nigra seems to be doing well and is currently pushing growth. We have had lots of rain lately and the humidity has been stifling…I don’t want to look at the numbers. Temps are in high 80’s and low 90’s. (15-20 degrees lower at night). Still a bit wet and cool for us on average. (Please forgive my unmown grass. It’s coming down today)

I have two berries left. I have eaten probably 6-8 in various stages of ripeness and even tart they are wonderful. I can’t imagine having access to many at one time…:flushed::flushed::flushed:

Katy

8 Likes

Your nigra is looking awesome…You may be rewriting the instruction manual for growing Morus nigra in the humid south.

2 Likes

Oh…don’t jinx me please!! :rofl::rofl::rofl:

1 Like

Are Nigra fully ripe as soon as they turn fully black? Or is more time helpful?

1 Like

I have found when they are black they are the sweetest but not just sweet…hard to describe subtle aftertaste that has no bitterness. If they still have slight redness they are much more tart but still really good. I don’t think I’ve waited and “given them more time” as I’m too afraid of losing the fruit to something. It’s not like they have to acquire a dullness like blackberries.

2 Likes

Thank you, I’ve got one almost black and several red. These better be good.

1 Like

Lol. Yeah I read all the hype and I too was very curious of the taste of which everyone was so enamored. My first one was a bit disappointing but the second was really good. All the others have been really good but some I haven’t waited until they were fully ripe. Now I just want to sit and eat one after the other… I hope that eventually happens.

i agree with @k8tpayaso 's assessment, and would like to add that they lose their ‘punch’ when at the black stage and no longer shiny or dull in luster. Totally black but still shiny is when we find them most desirable. Some like them at the dull stage though as the flavor of the red-stage or the black-but-still-shiny stage could be overwhelming.
at their peak, nigras are like welch’s grape juice concentrated to the 3rd power :grin:

5 Likes

Well I ate that first Nigra today. The fruit looks like a nigra. I believe it’s the Black Beauty cultivar from Bay Laurel.

It was awful tasting. Black and not spoiled. No sweetness, just an off tasting sourness.

Was it dry? Or did it bleed all over your fingers when you picked it?

1 Like