Questions not deserving of a whole thread

Some are Winter Nelis,Plumblee and Harrow Sweet.
That stem is the end of the scion and the new stuff with fruit is a water sprout.Pears really do like to go straight up. Brady
Also,I can tie some support lines from upper branches,if needed.

Harrow Sweet is not big. I would call it medium to small. I have never kept more than one HS per cluster. Otherwise they will be even smaller. I don’t know the sizes of the other two.

Our cat in just the last week has caught a little chipmunk, and a couple days later, my wife said he had a baby squirrel in his mouth. I don’t know what he did with them, I just assume he eats them.

He has a box on the deck he sleeps in during the day, and I saw some feathers in it recently. Plus, I’ve seen feathers in the barn, so he seems to love the birdies.

It’s good to see that he has such a diverse palate…

Usually the blossum blight looks blackish around the flowers on the stem? Check this photo out.

It does stop many, but not brown rot. You need Infuse, and/or Bonide Fruit Tree and Plant Guard. Both by Bonide, I rotate them. Plant guard has an insecticide too, and some don’t need it, I myself do, so not an issue. I would treat the trees this year too. You want to limit the amount of spores and such, so I would start ASAP. You may have lost all fruit, but the fungi will remain on the plant, take care of that now.
Early in the year chlorothalonil, and captan can be used too.
The first two mentioned have different modes of action so using both really puts a whammy on brown rot.

1 Like

You can notch them to get more laterals where you want them.

I received and planted a shipment of bare root berry plants last week and both the gooseberries and honeyberries seem to be growing! However, my raspberry plants have just been sitting there. Does anyone know how long it will take before they start showing signs of life? I walked out the other day and saw one of my plants dug up and gnawed a bit (most likely the neighborhood racoon…) but the roots weren’t too damaged so I shoved it back in the dirt. I know now that I planted the raspberries way too late so I’m hoping for the best.

I added Joan J and Polana raspberry bareroot plants this year. Joan J started to grow immediately. But Polans just sat there for weeeks without showing any signs of life. They had the same soil, water, sun conditions. But then about a week ago Polana started to leaf out, While Joan J has more than a foot of growth. I don’t think they have s specific time frame they need to leaf out. Since one variety did it right away and not the other. But I think yours will also decide to grow. Just keep it happy and give it more time.

2 Likes

Quick dumb pole question. (pun intended).

I have a big hawk nesting in the poplar above my apples. I have seen her land on the corner of the shed and watch my yard for vermin which I want to encourage. The place I want her to be is watching my peaches and apples, so I was thinking about just putting a t shaped cross of pipe mounted a foot or two up from the four by fours that end my apple espaliar so it’s easy for her to swoop right into the garden or right down the row.

Any tips? I was thinking I should wrap it in duct tape to keep it from being too hot.

1 Like

some cultivars are more vigorous. polka is another one thats a fast grower. autumn britten is a slow grower like polana. they tend to put out big fruit but less of it.

1 Like

I’d paint it white - bird doesn’t want sticky tape on its feet

Thanks Susu! I figured that raspberry plants would be pretty hard to kill so I will keep waiting.

I lost too many hard to replace (at least here in Mi) plants this past winter. I have a room in my basement that I have lights in, but it isn’t necessarily easy to get into and keep up with watering all winter. My thought is that an automatic timed watering system would pay for itself (in not-dead plants) easily within 1 year. I’m looking at 2 and was wondering if anyone uses such a system and if so what are the pro’s and con’s of the two I’m considering or whatever you’re using? The first one does not have an internal reservoir but I could just attach it to a 5-gal bucket. The second one does have a reservoir but limited capacity (not 5-gal, certainly)

https://www.amazon.com/Claber-8053-4-Programs-Automatic-Watering/dp/B000U5YFR4/ref=sr_1_30?ie=UTF8&qid=1525620191&sr=8-30&keywords=automatic+plant+waterer+indoor

losses this year, in case anyone is curious: Luma, musa Basjoo, true cinnamon (this one hurts, it was almost 5 feet tall), 80% of my chilean guavas (including the variegated one), lemongrass, meyer lemon, eucalyptus and perhaps a passiflora (looks like Inspiration and/or Lavender Lady, thought time will tell on these last 2)

Scott

Scott those seem interesting, but both appear to water everything at the same time for the same amount. Fine if all your plants are roughly the same size and use the same amount of water, but potentially a problem if you have a variety of sizes.

I have been looking for an automatic watering solution as well, but have not found anything that would handle the variety of plants I usually have.

My thought is that a large plant would just get 2 emitters or I’d stack 2-3 smaller pots in the large one and make sure the mix is well draining.

Scott

One of my pawpaw trees is finally flowering for the first time now, but there’s nothing around to pollinate it. I can collect pollen from some trees near where I work, the only issue is that there will be 5-6 hours between me collecting it and actually being able to apply it at home.

I guess my question is, do I need to do anything special, or can I just store it in a cooler for that long?

You could cut branches with flowers and put then in a water bottle …
Like a bouquet of flowers, and hang in your tree at home.
And or hand pollinate when you get home.
Not sure of proper handling / storage of pollen ?

1 Like

Just curious, how old is your paw paw that is blooming for the first time? What size is it (approx height)? Do you know the variety? Thanks.

Does pattern look familiar to anyone? Apple tree I grafted in 2015. Looks like something was burrowing through the cambium and may have girdled it. I did not remove the branch when pruning buy maybe should have and asked questions later. Thanks for any insight.

I was out looking at my pear trees last night and noticed they were dropping a lot of the little fruits. There were a ton of flowers on three of the trees this year so I got my hopes up. Each spur made multiple tiny pears, and I understand many of these will drop, but at this point entire spur’s worth of fruit are dropping. I was thinking this was a pollination issue due to the cold spring. There are some fruit that are obviously bigger than the others so I am assuming some pollination must have happened.

My question is, is it normal for a pear tree to drop every fruit off a spur or did something, such as pollination or weather, go amiss?

That looks like it could be ambrosia beetles, a very bad pest. They are usually found further south. It could be some other kind of boring beetle.

Look up that pest, there are also several threads here on it. You need to get all that wood out of your orchard pronto if that is what it is.