Мягкосемянный Розовый (Soft seeded Pink) Pomegranate

Richard, I don’t live in San Diego, I live in SC, and unless these
nurseries do mail order, it’s nonsensical for me to even consider
them.

Very true. I wasn’t suggesting you try. Instead I’m sharing my surprise that your local nurseries have such a dearth of selection. :disappointed:

I’m taking that what Richard is trying to convey is that when you spend your life surrounded by easy access to something, it’s often difficult to realize that most other people with your interests have to go to great lengths in order to acquire the same.

I once had a young adult from Venezuela visit during summer who did not understand why, with so much land, everyone here didn’t grow their own mango trees and apple bananas since back home almost every house had their own.

Sometimes it can also be difficult for those of us surrounded by our lush green environments with many lakes and rivers to understand how those in the southwest, with their easy access to desired plants, and their temperature range, have a great challenge managing limited water resources, and that many of them can’t successfully grow the majority of the best tasting cultivars of stone fruits and pommes. Try as they may, providing proper chill is much more difficult in an out-of-zone area than protecting plants from too much cold during winter.

We all have disadvantages and advantages in some way.

4 Likes

Richard, our local nurseries don’t have the demand to make it worth their while for even pomegranates and figs that will grow well here, unless the name has instant recognition. Perhaps the longer term solution to that is to get more people interested and enjoying the many other possibilities.

1 Like

As a whole I think it reflects the instant gratification many of our societies are conditioned to expect.

That and the fact that nurseries in NE tend to dictate the entire market. You can be sure there are marigold, geraniums and pansies every spring. You might find peach trees (un-names that already have trunks that are over four feet tall. You will find Gala and Honey Crisp apple trees for sale because the nursery owners shop in grocery stores too, and see what is selling. You might, find a Montmorency cherry as I did No one in the nursery I bought it from knew a thing about it, they never had one before it was a mistake buy. I was thrilled and bought it! They repeat the identical items for sale each year. Middletown, RI has four major growers. They grow and ship hydrangeas all over the US and also have the latest varieties of hydrangea. That is the only exception.

Richard, so interesting. I ran through my pomegranate cultivars today. Here’s what I’ve got growing, and I think I’m going to get a good crop across the board this year:

Phil’s Sweet
Eversweet
Sweet
Red Silk
Parfianka
Pink Satin
Kashmir Blend
Wonderful
Angel Red
Utah Sweet
Suhr-Anor
Sirenevyi
Sumbar

I’d love to add Myagkosemyannyi, I’ll have to check around to see if anyone is propagating it. My work schedule is changing up, so hoping to be back at CRFG meetings, finally. So interesting to learn about some of these different and delicious pomegranate varieties.

2 Likes

How does Red Silk compare to your others? This is the first time I should have a large crop.

Mark, this will be my first year with fruit on Red Silk, so we’ll have to compare our Red Silk’s flavors.

I had a few last year but flooding and high winds uprooted my plant. It lost all its leaves and fruit but it has come back nicely after being staked back upright and is loaded with flowers. I also have Mae and maybe Garnet Sash that should fruit this year. My Desertnyi is still small.

I have also heard good things about Sumbar, let us know how it does.

1 Like

Spring pruning :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I still remember going down to URI as a native RI’er and having never been there before being surprised by the huge front yards some of the farm houses had. Until my passenger corrected me by telling me they were sod farms.

Scott

I never see 95% of the plants I have growing in my yard. The local bigger nursery does stock passionflower so, but they stock none of the 3 hardy varieties, nor the ones known for particularly good fruit. (I have all 3 hardy as well as 1 tropical fruiting variety (and one I reliably regrow and flower from seed each year in a pot that has been saturated with the seed from previous years.

My pomegranates are now potted, though I have one in the ground that has held on, just barely, the past few years. I’d have to check the tag to ID it.

The local gardeners club have refused to even look at my yard because I grow so many non-natives

Your healthy and luscious pomegranate pictures are always very inspiring Mr. Richard, I just clipped off some branches from my grandmother’s pomegranate tree last night to try and obtain a first pom of my own by rooting cuttings.

Cuttings of pomegranate are fairly easy to root but it takes a very long time. Have patience. :slight_smile:

Richard, your pomegranate looks to only be blooming in one area of the plant, any idea why? One of my feijoa is doing the same. It is one plant but two trunks. One side is blooming heavily and the other have is growing heavily with very little blooms.

1 Like

If you interested, the name of it means “soft-seeded pink” if you translate it from Russian. It will look like that in Russian: “Мягкосемяный розовый”

Actually there’s buds all over the plant. The ones on the south side opened first.

Love the pooch in your picture.

Is this your normal bloom time, I would have thought you would have been farther along in your area? My Red Silk is finishing most of its blooming now. My smaller Garnet Sash and Mae is a little behind and just starting to bloom.

Red Silk

3 Likes

This year I’ve noticed many pomegranates in my area are currently in full bloom – which is a bit early by my reckoning. :astonished:

It’s interesting, just assumed your area would have been long done by now. Last year was the first time it bloomed and it was in July. The gentleman I got my Garnet Sash cuttings from did not think they were true Garnet Sash, it is blooming now so after several years I may get to find out what I have. My Mae is also blooming for the first time.