Some Vegies and Herbs

17 Likes

Followed of course, by Chile Relleno casserole :slight_smile:

10 Likes

Recipe please!

2 Likes

Here’s our exact recipe!

4 fresh medium size Ancho chili peppers (medium spicy)
6 fresh large Guajillo chili peppers (about zero heat)
3 cups shredded monterey jack cheese
1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
12 eggs lightly beaten
1 cup milk
1 + 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt

Preheat oven to 450 degrees F

Grease a 14” x 10” x 2.5” (or close to it) casserole dish. Slice the chili peppers into strips, removing the stems and also the seeds of the Anchos.

In a medium bowl, combine the eggs and the milk. Add the flour, baking pepper, and salt. Beat with a whisk (or use an immersion blender) until smooth.

Place the peppers in the casserole dish and top with the cheeses. Pour egg mixture over the peppers and cheese. Bake uncovered about 15 minutes or until a knife inserted in the egg mixture comes out clean. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.

2 Likes

I love "spicy’ but many people do not what if I can’t find ancho chilies here?

1 Like

OMG!!! It’s only 9:35 AM here and I’d eat a piece of that RIGHT NOW!

2 Likes

Given the mix of peppers, it’s mildly spicy.

I recommend you use whatever fresh chili peppers are available to you. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

For tonight’s cooking adventure …

I’m going to make (and freeze) salsa from these:

… and marinara sauce from these!

8 Likes

Found these on my Black Krim tomato plant this evening, plus another dozen that might ripen next week.

4 Likes

Baby Chantenay carrots :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Anchos y Guajillos

3 Likes

I’m growing Gaujillos also. Good pepper.

Drew

1 Like

Amaranth leaf.

1 Like

Garden potatoes :slight_smile:

3 Likes

From left to right: Yacón, Licorice Root, and Sweet Potato.

4 Likes

How long does licorice take to be ready to use?

I’m experimenting with licorice. The program I’m on is to harvest roots in the fall, leaving some behind for next year’s crop. Like many tuber crops they prefer acidic soil, about pH 5.8. A good crop requires nitrogen throughout the growing season and a phosphate boost in early summer.

Richard, this is my first year growing yacon (a red variety, Morado). It is over 6’ with small flowers. I was going to wait until mid Oct to harvest it. Any thoughts on that?

Meanwhile, other unusual herbs I’m doing.
This is Galangal. It has an amazing fragrance, even the leaves are aromatic. The root is used similarly to ginger, but for my tastes, it is a little too pungent. So I may try preserving some when I dig it up, but I think I’m done with it. Glove is for scale. This was a very vigorous grower here. Just a lovely carefree plant.
IMG_1520-2

This is Cardamom. I love the seeds crushed in my tea. Why am I growing it? Just 'cause. See if I can and what it’s like. Also vigorous w/ aromatic leaves. I’m pretty much done with it too, though
IMG_1521-2

This is Turmeric (with Lemongrass, Holy Basil and Curry Leaf) in the background. Another 'just ‘cause’ plant, sorta. I’ve not cooked with fresh Turmeric and wanted to grow my own. Initial survey of the roots look really good. Kinda excited about this. I may grow the roots on another year depending on my cooking experiments, LOL.
Lemongrass came back from the roots over winter so it is kinda carefree, but I didn’t use it as much as I thought I would.
IMG_1523-2

And my favorite worth-all-the-effort-to-keep-it-going herb is the Curry Leaf plant. It has the most amazing smokey flavor and aroma. Made delicious Green Tomato Curry using this and many curry recipes call for this but it isn’t available so much around here. It grew well this summer and even threw runners for me to make more plants. :blush:
IMG_1525-2

4 Likes

The tubors form in late summer and are largest in the Fall. So October might be good for your climate. Ideally you’d like to harvest before the stalks and leaves begin to depend on the tubers for survival, and also before the ground becomes so saturated with water that rot sets in. :slight_smile:

That’s funny … I’m growing Galangal right next to my Yacon! It is strong compared to “standard” ginger and also the tuber skin is a bit tougher. I enjoy it in very small quantities to flavor stir-fry, etc.

You can’t make traditional Hindu curry without Turmeric. And fresh … it is so good, although in excess it can be diarrhetic. It’s available in markets here. You’re probably aware its anti-inflammatory properties are well documented. My orthopedic MD recommends I eat it up to once per week to ease the arthritis in my left shoulder.

It does have a good flavor. However, it is also the main host for the Asian Citrus Psyllid. Many immigrants from SE Asia here grow it in their yards from seed sent from their homeland. It is under quarantine. Getting them to eradicate it is a major problem in Citrus growing regions.

Thanks for all the great pics :slight_smile:

1 Like