Some Vegies and Herbs

Vacuum-sealed quart bags of sliced patty-pan squash bound for the freezer. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Richard, what will you do with them in the future?

Each bag contains slices of 1 medium squash. The quantity is about right for including in a meal for Janet and I. We use them in stir fry, soup, burritos, grilled, … :slight_smile:

1 Like

Here are the pickles from your recommendation. I’ll let you know how they taste in about a week.

6 Likes

They have just enough kick for most people without overwhelming. Hope you enjoy them. I’m going use the same recipe on Okra this weekend.

2 Likes

Cauliflower power.

2 Likes

Just Beautiful Richard! By far one of my favorite veggies…Love me some cauliflower!

Time to box up the first wave and take them to the downstairs pantry. The Cucumbers and beans just keep a coming!!! So there’s dilly-beans, dill pickles, bread & butter pickles and my first try at “Cowboy Candy”

I had run into some friends in a store the other day and they went on and on about something called “Cowboy Candy” as a way to utilize some of the Jalapeno’s abundance. I’ve of course not ever tasted them, let alone be able to vouch for the recipe but they claim they’re really good on a cracker and cream cheese. They even said they like the sauce with chips like a kind of nacho dip…

Anyway, the bride will be happy to see these head downstairs since the counters are beginning to fill up with tomatoes. (We both think I need a better system…)

5 Likes

Great harvest!!! It just feels so good to look at those jars! I never tire of the sight ! What is cowboy candy?

1 Like

What’s the recipe for Cowboy Candy?

My counters are filled with food right now also. I need a system.

1 Like

Makes. 12 ounce bottle

Takes. 15 minutes for prep, and 25 to 30 minutes to cook

Ingredients
2 cups white granulated sugar

1/2 cup water

2/3 cup distilled vinegar

3/4 pounds fresh green jalapeños, washed thoroughly

Special hardware. You will also need a clean 12 ounce jar with a lid.

About the jalapeños. You can use any chile pepper you wish, hotter of less hot. Click here to see your options.

About the vinegar. It is better with white vinegar

Well this is the one I used, I just selected one I ran across and didn’t wait for my wife to get the one our friends were going to send her on FB messenger (or some such thing… I don’t do FB so am clueless…)

Cowboy Candy Recipe
(small batch)
• 1 lb fresh jalapenos
• 2/3 cup cider vinegar
• 2 cups sugar
• 2 tablespoons mustard seed
• 1/4 teaspoon tumeric
• 1/4 teaspoon celery seed
• 1 tablespoon garlic powder
• 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
Instructions:

1. Slice jalapenos (see above)
  2. Mix cider vinegar, sugar, tumeric, celery and mustard seed, garlic, and cayenne to boil.
  3. Reduce the liquid for 5 minutes to a simmer.
  4. Add jalapenos to the syrup and simmer for 5 minutes
  5. Remove jalapenos from liquid with a slotted spoon into a bowl
  6. Pack into sterilized canning jars with jalapenos first using a spoon, or a small spatula to press into the jar.
  7. Add liquid filling the jars leaving a 1/4 headspace.
  8. Process in a water bath for 15 minutes.
2 Likes

This is an image from an online google search. Apparently people use it on sandwiches and other things as well.

1 Like

Sounds better than the recipe I found, thanks!

1 Like

I don’t know if it’s good or not, but can’t wait to give it a try :slightly_smiling_face:.

I was reading some posts on this stuff and a lot of people were commenting on just how addicting it can be…, saying if you open a jar you won’t be able to leave it alone! Things like it’s a huge hit at parties, making sure to hide back the last jar in the cupboard, etc.

There was some talk about how the vinegar and sugar take away the heat and the end result is a deal with a kinda unique taste.

Anyway, I’m excited to have another thing to try out - only wish the Jalapeno plants I got this year made bigger fruit… there’s lots, just not as big as the ones I’ve had in the past.

How long do the jalapeños have to stay in the jar before opening?

I see everywhere from 2-weeks to 3-4 months, so…

Purple tinged cauliflower

4 Likes

Here today and gone tomorrow … orange spidermite webs and egg masses on potato vines

2.5 lbs of Japanese eggplant :slight_smile:

5 Likes