Sugar Twist Pluerry

Frost got most of my pluerry blossoms. I have 1 sugar twist, 3 candy heart and about a dozen sweet treat. The stupid deer didn’t help either. :frowning_face:

2 Likes

Steve, you usually had good luck with fruits set. This is a bad year for you. My Nadia, Sweet treat pluerry, and the rest of the pluots bloomed very good this year due to a prolong cold Spring and no late frost. We finally had a nice warm up a few weeks. Now I just have to fight the the Plum Curculio with malathion spray every 7 o 10 days.

Tony

2 Likes

I let my pluerries pollinate on their own this year. Sweet Treat did not blossom this year for some strange reason, zero fruit. Sugar Twist produced more blossoms than last year but no fruit set. Nadia set three fruit this year, last year I had about seventeen with hand pollination. Candy Heart, my favorite, has set about sixty five fruit this year. I am looking forward to what kind of fruit the Candy Heart/Nadia seed crosses may produce next year or the year after.

6 Likes

My Candy Heart never looks good in wet Seattle weather.

1 Like

My Sweet Treat was very weak this year as well, after a huge output (relative to the tree size) last year. I’m thinking it’s more the weird weather we had during the bloom, but may also be an alternate bearing issue. Time will tell. Fortunately, I have a lot of Candy Heart as well – the few I had last year were great.

1 Like

Sugar Twists Pluerry.

6 Likes

Sugar Twist Pluerry is looking good in second leaf.

10 Likes

I am curiously looking forward to Sugar Twist fruit tasting opinions other than my own from last season.

2 Likes

My pluerries had lots of flowers but no fruit set. Well while spraying I saw two on sweet treat with pc on both! My candy heart died from vole damage and my grafts didn’t take. The tree was planted last year and didn’t have any vigor to it so the roots haven’t even pushed up growth. There is three inches of candy heart below the girdle but it hasn’t pushed a bud.

Mine are still green.

Here are my Sugar Twists today. They started turning color about week or so ago.

8 Likes

Still waiting on the pluerries to soften up. I picked one today after work and it was still a bit tart but had a pretty good flavor to me.

11 Likes

I don’t have Sugar Twist, but with both Sweet Treat and Candy Heart, they stayed very firm, even when overripe. So at least the standard plum softness test didn’t work for me on the Pluerries. Seems like more of a taste and see strategy since they seem to color up way ahead of ripeness (especially with Candy Heart). Enjoy!

1 Like

They will be ready in less than two weeks.

6 Likes

Are you doing anymore cross with these interspecifics?

I pollinated Flavorella Plumcot with Sweet Bagel peach and F1 Moorpark Apricot pollen, but the flowers didn’t developed into fruit.

2 Likes

We are waiting for the report of Sugar twist pluerry in this Summer please ? Anyone had it?

1 Like

Here is a progress shot of my Sugar Twist Pluerry before thinning. The tree did not produce last year, lots this year.

12 Likes

Sugar Twist has no problem setting fruit here in the PNW.bb

2 Likes

It tastes like a plum that that has been sprinkled with powder cinamon.

1 Like