Sugar Twist Pluerry

I am keeping Sweet Treat around as a pollinator, it will always be pruned back. Most of the fruit will be dehydrated. My back-up Candy Heart “monster graft” has many many more fruit on it. The original “Mother tree” has only three, go figure.

1 Like

3 feet tall at 5 years? Wow I would agree with you and cut it down, not even topwork material! May be some really hard soil there? Mine is maintained at 8 feet.

Yep, remember that! Most fruit that falls off is usually over ripe and gets a spoiled flavor. It will test higher brix but fruit is past prime! It is very hard to pick new fruit at peak ripeness when we don’t know much about it! I will be picking mine before they fall for sure!

The Candy Heart pluerry felt a little soft. It had to be pulled pretty firmly to pick it from the tree. It had 23 brix, it tasted very sweet, not the least bit over ripe or mealy.

2 Likes

Ok, thanks, that explains! Very good obsevations! You are the only one to have tasted!

Dave Wilson Nursery will be releasing their 2018 Highlights this April. Hopefully, they’ll release another plum x cherry hybrid.

1 Like

I’m hoping they release one of the good commercial Pluots

1 Like

Something at least as good as Candy Heart, Summer can’t get here soon enough!

I won’t be adding any of them probably. I don’t have room. It will though be nice to make observations. Down the road when I need to replace a tree I might consider one. It’s funny because like with pluots, most new releases pale in comparison to the ones that are so old they are off patent! I bought Nadia hoping it was good, but I approached it a lot different than most. Some say it’s a good fruit, but nothing outstanding. None of that really figured into my choice. Well it did, i was hoping, but of secondary value. What sold me on it, and still does was that the fruit had twice the antioxidant level of cherries and plums. It’s a super fruit, and so the choice was quite easy for me. It appears for most it is all about sugar, which is not a good thing for your body. I think it’s possible to have both high sugar and nutritional value. I think figs are a good example. I sometimes feel like the only adult in a candy store, all the names Sugar Twist,Sweet Treat, Candy Heart. Don’t exactly sound nutritious. I guess I’m old school. I actually have vitamins that are not gummy bears.
If I could add anything, I probably would add more cherry trees. The Ebony Pearl and Burgundy Pearl, a giant firm cherry sounds so much better to me. I know these are hard to grow, but I have been growing cherries a long time, and you get better at it! Crack and canker resistant too.
These trees seem to sell out quick every year and are still hard to obtain. I’ll be adding these 100% cherries long before I add 1/2 cherry 1/2 plum fruits.

2 Likes

Two more flowers opened today. I pollinated these ones with Flavor King Pluot pollen.

3 Likes

I have a few more that have set fruit. It seems to set fruit about as easily as Sweet Treat so far. Good luck!

2 Likes

Another blossom opened today. I pollinated this one with Flavor Supreme Pluot pollen.

How many of you will be tasting Sugar Twist Pluerries this year?

1 Like

Sugar Twist Pluerry. I hand pollinated this flower from my newly planted Dapple Dandy Pluot.

3 Likes

Wow, great job. You worked like the fruit trees doctor Ulises.

2 Likes

Now we know that Dapple Dandy is a pollinator for Sugar Twist Pluerry.

3 Likes

Sugar Twist Pluerries.

The two in the front, I pollinated them with Flavor King Pluot Pollen, and the one in the back I pollinated it with Dapple Dandy Pluot pollen.

4 Likes

Hi, everyone!
Post pictures of your Sugar Twist Pluerry trees.

1 Like

There is some growth starting and a few flowers on mine.I’ve been cross pollinating and may keep one or two if fruit develop. Brady

3 Likes

Here’s a mine, pics were taken a few minutes ago. It has about 20 little fruitlets. I’ll probably let it set just a few so I can taste them this year.

3 Likes