Tomatoes of 2015: Types, Tastes, and Pictures

Barry, Welcome to the forum. You’ll find us to be mostly pleasant and the forum gives great advise.

Thanks for your run down on tomatoes. My views are from 5A and it seems like Alabama and Iowa produce similar results. Big Beef has been my go to tomato for reds for years. Firm, tasty enough, if you weave it up it produces a nice crop, and it doesn’t disease up till it sets and ripens the crop. For a sauce tomato, I’m using Burpee’s Big Mama, the plants look like they have just been sprayed w/24,D and are spindly, sickly looking things, but what a great flavored sauce. Super productive, especially with the big fruit. Yellow tomato is Carolina Gold, a nice, pleasant tomato. I was given seed for Indigo Rose, I think and it met Mr rototiller this week…enough said. Also a Russian Heirloom, Anna, a pink heart shaped, delight so far. Very sweet and meaty. Hard to get people to try unusual colors in their veg consumption. Ask the guys on the watermelon spot. Have fun w/this forum, introduce yourself on the welcome page. Good to have you on board.
Chikn

Chikn,
I’ve been lurking on here for a while but finally got my nerve up. I’m glad I found this site after giving up on gardenweb. I tip my hat to the organizer(s).

I’ve heard stump of the world and rose are brandywine-esque but more productive. I’ll try those next year. I’m also going to do some fruit thinning experiments next year. Wish I could withhold water like fruitnut suggested but we get too many summer deluges so I have to irrigate to minimize splitting, which probably hurts flavor.

I grow this every year. It my favorite big tomatoes. Very large, around 1 lb each, Meaty, less seeds, less acidic, and very flavorful.

Great!I’ll grow some next year if available.Thanks,Brady

Brady, do you have any pictures? This is my first year with them. Right now they are medium and still green but growing quickly. I like the ‘less seeds’ part.

Hi, mrsg47, I think you ask me for the picture , right? here is mine.

2 Likes

Here is Pink Berkeley Tie-dye.

Indian Stripe, this tomato looks cool inside and out. Sweet, and tasty a favorite of mine. Not very big though!

Recent pickings

2 Likes

Wow!!! Mine is starting to have ribs on the top as well. Those are beautiful! Sure hope they taste good. Glad I bought four plants! Thanks so much… :heart_eyes:

Drew, those dark tomatoes almost look like plums. How do they taste? The color is wonderful!

For once beauty and taste. They are fantastic! Best tasting tomato this year. Indian Stripe. The picture does not do them justice. I grew the potato leaf version. regular leaf and Indian Stripe Heart (PL) exists too.
Berkeley tie-dye is also good, bigger, but has been cracking on me.

Here are some others I’m growing
From top to bottom, left to right
German Strawberry, Cow’s Tit,
Costoluto Di Parma, Super Italian Paste
Opalka, and Romeo

Opalka, and Romeo are huge pastes, very meaty, hard to harvest seeds as so few. Middle of tomato is very meaty, these are keepers for me.
I like to make sauce. Di Parma is a sauce tomato from Italy. I got seeds from an organic farm in France. This one is nice too, fairly large fruit, and no cracking. Prolific, but susceptible to various diseases which can lower productivity. I feel it’s a winner too. Many heirlooms can fail, always a risk. But taste is unsurpassed in many heirlooms. Oh a few posts above, that garlic is from the garden too. My softnecks. I also grew hardnecks.

1 Like

We can always count on well described and illustrated tomato reports from you, Drew. You are a true tomato aficionado. :tomato:

Thank you! One of many! We have a few good growers here. I have exchanged seed with some here.

I did too, but didn’t have room this year, thanks for the report! I will try and get it in next year. I also obtained some seeds from Croatia. A seller there has some interesting tomato and pepper seeds. A few people on Tomatoville said they were true to description, so I ordered some seed to try. Mostly Russian paste tomatoes. Hoping they grow well in Michigan, as it feels like Siberia here from time to time, so many these will do well here?

Alyi Mustang-Red Mustang - The new variety of the Siberian breeders, characterized unusually long cigar-shaped
fruits 20-25 cm long. The plant is indeterminate, height 1.5-1.8 m, designed for growing in greenhouses and
outdoors. Fruits red, long, meaty and very tasty, weighing 150-200 gr, gorgeous in salads. High yielding variety,
up to 5 kg per plant.

Auria -
Maturity midseason
Growth habit indet.
Leaf type regular, wispy
Fruit color red
Fruit shape elongated, plum, banana
Fruit size medium
Fruit type paste, canner, cooking
Variety type open-pollinated
Country Ukraine
History

This variety came from the Ukraine.
In some Ukrainian seed catalogs it is sometimes referred to as ‘Adam’ (as in ‘Adam and Eve’), probably in reference
to its unique shape. Introduced commercially in North America by Tatiana’s TOMATObase Seeds in 2015.
This unique variety came from the Ukraine, sometimes referred as „Adam“ probably in reference to its unique shape.
The bush 1,5 m. Large elongated red paste tomatoes with dry flesh and a suggestive shape, thin original shape with
a forked nose weighing 100-150 g are resistant to cracking and over ripeness and contain few seeds. Grow 5-10
fruits per cluster . Very good sweet flavor. Perfect for sauce.

Hohloma-Khokhloma - Russian Heirloom Mid season variety (85-95 days). Indeterminate. Regular leaf plant with a
high yield of red, banana shaped 100-150 g fruits, 10-14 cm long, 5-10 fruits per cluster, all-purpose use.

KOREAN LONG - Mid season variety( 85-90 days). Indeterminate. Particularly beautiful species, it forms a rather
unusual fruit elongated-cylindrical shape with curved nose. Raspberry - pink color tomatoes, quite resistant to
cracking , excellent taste. Average fruit weight around 150-250 gr., the fruits can be elongated, heart-shaped
and weight up to 400 gr. Plant height- 1.6 to 1.8 meters.

Sosulka Krasnaya-RED ICICLE Russian Heirloom -
Mid season variety(90-95 days). Indeterminate. Potato leaf plant. Medium sized,red, pointed salad/paste type.
Sweet complex flavor, firm texture. Keeps well and ripens well off of the vine.

Black Krim

1 Like

I got my seeds from Baker Creek this year, very satisfied with growth and germination:

Orange Strawberry: Large meaty orange colored, strawberry shaped low acid tomato. A real winner with all who tasted it, Plants are vigorous and fruit set was fantastic. Will grow again.

Atlantic Prize: Smaller Rutgers type, fantastic flavor, very early. Lower than expected yield, may not grow again.

True Black Brandywine: typical Brandywine flavor and productivity or lack their of, will try Brandyboy instead next year

Chocolate Cherry: love these guys, grow them most years, very productive and more crack resistant than Black Cherry in my yard.

Black Icicle: Terrible BER, however this paste type is a real winner, it over sets and I end up picking 1/2 off due to BER, the ones that do ripen have a great deep tomato flavor.

So far this summer, I’ve made Salsa 2 or three ways, Bruscetta, Tomato Sauce, Oven Dried and too many BLTs :yum:

1 Like

All the icicle tomatoes are from Russia. Maybe the red has better BER resistance? I will report next year on it. German Strawberry for me had a few BER tomatoes. No others this year did.

Beautiful tomatoes Antmary. I love Black from Tula also.

Ginny

Hi everyone. I have been busy, but so far it has been a great season for growing my heirloom tomatoes… I love looking at all of your pictures. I hope you all have been well and having a great garden season… Here are some heirlooms I picked recently. Black Krim, one of my favorite blacks I have been growing for over 20 years. Wonderful flavor! Productive plants for me.
Daniels, first time growing and the largest so far weighed in at 19.07 ounces. The potato leaf plants are loaded. The taste was good, but lacked a bit of flavor so far. Hoping the flavor gets better as the season progresses. Carol Chyko Big Paste, not a real paste, but meaty and juicy. The flavor is good. Right side: Bear Claw, my first time growing and the flavor is spectacular!! The fruit taste rich with a well balanced tomato flavor. Meaty and juicy. BC weighed in at 17 ounces. One of my new favorites. Tree Bottom Yellow, I have been trying to grow this one out for the past three years. Third time is the charm. The plants are loaded with beautiful, yellow when ripe tomatoes that have a wonderful flavor. It is hard to describe, slightly fruity and a wonderful balance of that tomato flavor. Juicy and meaty.

Ginny

Bear Claw: Slices of heaven…

2 Likes

Daniels

1 Like

Nice Ginny, you have ton’s more experience than i do with tomatoes. Great to have you here!
So Black Krim grows well for you! I had seeds, but have not grown it yet. I was hesitant, as many reports of poor performance. I think in warmer regions it may not grow well?
Not a tomato, but a nectarine! It fits with these pictures! It is so cool to grow these tomatoes or any fruit like this nectarine that you will never find in a grocery store! I just harvested this nectarine today.
Appears to grow well here too, Arctic Glo from Zaiger genetics. After I ate this a huge puddle of juice was on this plate. A fantastic tasting fruit too. My first nectarine harvest ever!

To stay more on topic, I grow in containers, raised beds, and in ground.
Here are some of my containers

Here is a couple in a raised bed.