Tomatoes of 2015: Types, Tastes, and Pictures

Those don’t even need olive oil! They are fantastic! I’d love to be able to grow tomatoes like that!

OK, I was confused by your words and thought you were talking about another variety. And I meant to say in my post: "GBI has a red variety? " :smile:

Ginny

I planted my tomatoes a little late this year but that was a blessing because they prolonged my harvest in a big way. All the plants still loaded this late.

Tony

1 Like

My tomatoes are still going too. This year I took good care of them, spraying and cleaning infected leaves. So now is my third wave of tomatoes and there are many more. I am freezing a lot, to stay on top of them.

There are many beautiful peppers this year too.

And here is the recent picture of one of the pickings with the name “What’s growing in September garden”.

2 Likes

Looks like a beautiful ‘Dutch’ painting!

Gorgeous! What are the white squash? So pretty.

They are eggplant. :blush:

Oh gosh. Of course they are, mrsg. I need more coffee.

@Antmary, what will you do with the tomatillos?

Yes, they are Gretel F1 eggplants. They look good, but they have tough skin and need to be skinned when cooked.

This is my first time growing them. I have 3 huge plants and so many tomatillos! They are a lot easier to grow then tomatoes, no spraying or pruning. To collect the ripe ones I just shake the plants and then pick them off the ground. They are not tasty to eat rough, they are great for cooking. I am new, so I do not know many ways to cook them. I throw a handful of diced tomatillos into the meat and they give nice tangy flavor. Also tomatillos are rich in pectin, so they are good in sauce and salsa, and in the jellies. I blend them in blender and stew them until the mix is thick and I call it the sauce base. At that stage you can add the other vegetables (tomatoes, peppers, eggplants and what not) and it’ll become the salsa. Or you can add blackberries (without seeds) and some sugar and call it blackberry jelly. It does not jell that good as with store bought pectin but it is good for me.

1 Like

I grew Gretel’s last summer and passed them by this year for a full sized deep purple eggplant and a larger white eggplant. They were all excellent. I only have three left and I will miss them.

Beautiful tomatoes! That is a good haul.

Nice haul Antmary. The white eggplant is gorgeous! Do I spy red okra? Nice pickings!

Ginny

Antmary, if you grow tomatillos you might have some sprout up from dropped seed next year. :smile:

You should try to grow some purple tomatillos some time. They are sweet and you can pick them off the vine and eat them fresh. Yummy.

Colorful harvest. love these red okra

I grew Hansel and Gretel and Fairy Tale this year. Hansel is like Gretel, but purple. Fairy Tale is purple and white streaked. The three look very pretty in a bowl together.

1 Like

Thank you everyone, I have similar harvests every couple days or so. At this time of the year I started to get tired of the constant pressure to collect and to preserve the vegetables nagging on my mind. When my young fruit trees start to produce the actual fruits the pressure will be even more. But I’ll think about it later…LOL.

1 Like

That happened to me this year as my trees began to produce. Surprisingly caring for them was a lot more work than harvests. I have been caring for them for 3 years, so that was not an added burden. I was already doing it. The harvests were gone instantly as the first year harvest was small. Also I am so sold on fruit trees as 3 of them was some of the best fruit i have ever eaten in my life. It was so worth it! I doubt I will have any problems with it. Some friends asked for more, and I didn’t have more.

Joined this forum just to ask . . . does Indian Stripe Heart (PL) exist??? Do you know where?

While I admire Indian Stripe in any incarnation, and like the potato leaf I’ve grown better than the regular leaf, the Indian Stripe Heart?s I’ve seen and grown are regular leaf . . . and need the ? after the heart, as I haven’t seen one that consistently produces heart shaped fruit, even with the most generous criteria for “heart” . . . some heart shaped fruit . . . heartish tendencies . . . and I’ve heard credible people say they’ve seen a plant that consistently produced IS Hearts, with regular leaf foliage . . . but from anything I’ve seen or known of directly, it seems to me that IS Heart is a form peeking out briefly here and there, rather than a firmly developed variety.

If you’ve grown or seen IS Heart produce consistent hearts, I’m very interested in knowing whatever you have to say about them.