What fruits did you eat today?

That is seedless!

My Tangos died, but i do have Galaxy and a few others i’m trying for the first time.

1 Like

Maria,
That is the real donut peach for sure!!!

I have Saturn for the first time. I am still figuring when to pick them.

1 Like

Tree ripened Hesse…avg size…they get huge (but birds fix that)… Hard to say if its something i could eat a lot of. Sweet, plum for sure in the flavor…not really cot’ish… almost mushy, but not quite… Red specks in the flesh… Borderline mush…timing is everything with these things and they are bird magnets. They go from rock hard bitter inedible to this halfway quick. Aggressively growing…heavy setters…big sizes. I ate a few Satsuma before this…Hesse (imo) not in the same league, but still interesting to have around and i’ll keep growing it. Bird protection is a must. It also doesn’t seem to rot, pC don’t hit it badly…and must be very hardy.

4 Likes

Orient pear. One one my grands favorite.

4 Likes

Heard good things about Shinseiki and finally grafted it on my pear tree this year. Hope you will like it.

1 Like

Thats interesting, my Hesse tasted almost completely apricot. I guess its climate related. I agree they have a narrow picking window.

1 Like

I think it was overripe…maybe the cot wasn’t coming through? I tried another that wasn’t so soft and it was probably more cot like…but nothing strong. I ate a ton of Puget Gold the past 2 weeks so i’m use to that strong cot flavor. They have a tiny window of ripeness it would seem. My kids liked them a lot.

1 Like

Well I picked the ripe Shinseiki and put it in the fridge for an hour before sharing it with the family. It was perfectly ripe, seeds were dark, perfectly crisp and very juicy. Flavor was good. Not the best Asian pear I’ve ever eaten but was quite refreshing. The kids wanted more. Maybe in a few more years we will have enough to pig out on.

6 Likes

I had a counter-ripened Redhaven peach that was blown off my tree about a week and a half ago.

Still sorta crunchy. But 12.5 Brix. Not bad for a fruit that was hard and slightly green when I picked it up.

Here it is compared to another Redhaven that I will call the first pick as it is just starting to soften due to a bad case of split pit. We shall see on the sugar levels of this fruit that saw a 5.3" of rain in a week.

2 Likes

Cluster of black seedless grapes, pint of blueberries, some dried cranberries

1 Like

I have those two trees and they seem to be the same. They are only six years old.

1 Like

End of raspberry and black currant harvests - about 11 gallons of rasps in freezer and about 16 cups currants this season.
Looking at the Medaille d’Or apple it seemed too many fruits for so small a treelet, so picked one, (Six left for sample crop.) Already showing traces of orange color on sunny side, hardly any russet showing by the stem, and 10 Brix already. 2 inches tall by 2 3/16 wide and surprisingly good. Expected it to be bitter AND sour; only some of each.
This season went from record-breaking wet to suddenly dry and hot before May was done, No rain in two months; Md’O may ripen sooner than I had reason to expect, after all.
Life is full of mystery.

2 Likes

My sweet wife came home from the commissary today with a surprise for me. A fuyu Persimmons. She said they were sellling for .79 cents apiece at the commissary on Fort Campbell. What a pleasant surprise. This will be my first Persimmons I have ever tasted. I have stuck it in refrigerator and will try later tonight. Can’t wait!!

5 Likes

My only gold dust peach, squirrels got the rest…

8 Likes

I gave what I knew was going to be a really good arctic jay nectarine, it was covered with sugar dots, to a guy at work tonight, and the look on his face was priceless. If store bought fruit was as good as what we can grow ourselves, it would fly off the shelves. He said they rarely buy fruit at the store because it doesn’t taste very good. He said if he could buy fruit like the nectarine I gave him, they would eat alot of fruit. I always like seeing those kind of reactions.

7 Likes

Bought some fruit from a local grocery I like to support (usually we’re almost self-sufficient for fruits and vegetables all summer until about October). So we had some lychees (yum) and cherries to go with our daily pints of blueberries and even sampled some first of the season thornless Triple Crown blackberries. Big, juicy, and sweet/tart mix. I like them but my kids aren’t so crazy about blackberries.

Picked enough so we could freeze at least 10lbs of bb today for enjoying bb pancakes and waffles later in the year.

Anthony

8 Likes

Nice haul. are those all the same variety? I’ve been picking some each day, but not nearly that amount.

1 Like

Not same variety. Mix of Duke, Bluecrop, some Patriot and Elliot. All the sunny weather is accelerating ripening this summer and I’m more diligent about watering, feeding and harvesting. We will need to harvest that amount this weekend to keep up.

Anthony

1 Like

Haven’t had a persimmon since we ate the last ones off the greenhouse tree end of December. None of mine will be ready to harvest till September at the earliest. Lucky you. Sadly for us it looks like a down year for our persimmons probably due to harsh winter and spring. More dropped fruit and less flowering/fruit set than last year but this is why I have SEVEN persimmon trees. Fewer fruits per tree but lots of trees will mean a decent amount of big persimmons for our family.

Anthony

4 Likes

I found this Contender peach laying under the tree today. It is not supposed to be ready for about 3 weeks. I knew it had cracked last week and it must have just fallen. It also had a tiny bit of bug damage near the pit, but it tasted perfect! 16.5 brix. I must have caught it just in time. Also ate a Tango peach from the local fruit farm today. 11 brix, but very tasty. I don’t want to add any more trees but I might replace one of my other young peach trees and try Tango. I imagine if ripened a little longer they would be outstanding. The fruit farm also had “Early Redhaven” (which is not the actual Redhaven), they were barely worth eating.

4 Likes