What fruits did you eat today?

I have just eaten one of my new favorite Plums.
Purple Heart is rich and sweet.My brix-o-meter wasn’t available,but it was probably around 18.
If possible,this is one to grow,folks.
With fruitnut’s setup and the sugar around 25%,this might be super good.Brady

14 Likes

Hmm had 2 store bought peaches, 2 lbs of cherries, blueberries, Sun Sugar cherry tomatoes, watermelon, and taye berries yesterday.

1 Like

I need to add that one.

3 Likes

That’s a good looking plum!

3 Likes

Brady,
My two Purple Heart were bug damaged, one more than the other. Both dropped today before they were fully ripe. More tart than sweet and brix was only 12 . It was juicy and I hope I will have better luck next year.

They reminded me of Satsuma but bigger.

4 Likes

I grew and picked my first Santa Rosa Plum and have been waiting about three years for this.They seem to be a sparsely setting fruit.There was a little softness when squeezed and it could of stayed on the tree a few more days,but that might have been risky.
It’s the top fruit in the photo,along with Pakistan Mulberries,Raspberry Red Nectarines(they are smaller than the SR) and a Purple Heart Plum. Brady

6 Likes

If they can be protected somehow and let ripen some more,the flavor is very good.
I just measured a second one and the brix is slightly over 20. Brady

2 Likes

They were in perforated bags. By the time I realized bugs laid eggs through those bags, it was too late. I hope to protect my fruit beptter next year.

1 Like

So how would you rate Purple Heart/Satsuma/Santa Rosa???

I agree on the ripening. I have some Satsuma i have protected that i’m going to let hang for as long as i can…but i think they will drop at some point on their own. Superior likes to drop ripening fruit…if you don’t catch them fast enough, the rabbits feast.

1 Like

I haven’t tried Satsuma yet.mamuang sent me some wood about two years ago,that may fruit in 2018.
After eating the Santa Rosa,I remember having those before,probably from a market.They are sweet,juicy,good flavored with a tart skin.
Purple Heart has almost no tartness in the skin and while being a little juicy,there is a fairly thick texture. Brady

1 Like

You grow Flavor Supreme? I ate one a few days ago. Very sweet. It really was sweeter then what i remember them to be. I actually preferred the Satsuma. I’m starting to think i should abandoned the nectarines and focus on the plums/pluots because they seem to perform so much better in my climate///container growing…and my kids/wife prefer plums to peaches/nectarines…so there is that.

1 Like

We are the complete opposite. I’m debating whether to drive out into the Fraser Valley tomorrow to pick up a second Fantasia nectarine tree, which would be nectarine tree No.9 I think.

Anthony

2 Likes

I wish I had access to all these specialty varieties here in Canada. I have a Santa Rosa plum but no pluots or other hybrids (although I did get a Nadia from Canadian Tire this spring).

Anthony

1 Like

I do have a Flavor Supreme tree.Because the tree sets so few fruit,a lot of other Plums were grafted in,including Purple Heart,Santa Rosa and Satsuma.
There were a couple of fruit last year,that were okay,not like some that were at the local farmers market,grown in eastern Washington heat.It looks like there may be a few now,hopefully,they will taste better. Brady

1 Like

Is access to the Romance series,bush Cherries there? Brady

1 Like

Rob (@warmwxrules),

When do your Alderman plums usually ripen? I have one lonely plum on my tree at about 75% red and feeling like it is just starting to soften. I want to get it before it feeds the chipmunk.

2 Likes

Well, aluminum flashing coated with 10W40 seemed to do the trick. I’m not having squirrel assaults on my peaches as much now.

I picked 4.6 kg of RedHaven yesterday and 1.3 kg the day before. I still probably have half the fruit on the tree, and will probably strip it tomorrow since there are storms and wind in the forecast for Thursday.

11 Likes

I tried a couple of small Sansa apples last night. I’ve never had any before we sampled them at the orchard last week. They were one of the varieties we picked from some trees. They have a Pink Lady look to them, with some red and yellow splotches.

The apple is very crunchy, sweet and tart, with some aromatics as well. A very nice complex early variety.

1 Like

Look awesome, congrats on a nice harvest. How is the flavor, texture, etc?

1 Like

I see some of the smaller ones are totally red…while i have some that are still green. They are usually mid aug ripening here.

I’ll be honest…imo…they are a very “eh” plum. Decent flavor but nothing like a Satsuma. The solid is that they can get huge.

2 Likes