What is everyone eating from their orchard today?

Made cherry / black raspberry sauce from fresh sour cherries and frozen raspberries . The raspberries will be ripening soon here so time to use up the last of the frozen ones .

1st 2 ever! They didn’t make the house.

I wish You had beat the birds here. I spent the morning pulling mulberry seedlings out of the asparagus :grimacing:

That was a prophetic question. Within a day of me saying- we’ll eat it all fresh, my daughters showed how little I know.

They picked 2 pints (1 each) of Prelude raspberries. Then, while I was still outside grafting, took them inside, mushed them up, and mixed them with chocolate milk. They drank some as is, then had me put it in the freezer to partially freeze.

2 Likes

What a genius concoction! ** applause **

In a chocolate milkshake! Oh you are a genius!

Definitely not my idea. I was appalled at the carnage of all those perfect berries being smashed. I had to just grin and bear it, as at least they had fun with it and ate the results.

2 Likes

So many people want to cook with my fruit or cut it all up and mix together. To me you can do that with any fruit and get about the same results. Add a little sugar if necessary. I prefer to taste each fruit on it’s own.

3 Likes

ive been eating handfuls of blackberries daily. Thats about it for fruit. I did have a squirrel knock off an unripe meyer lemon so I guess that counts too, LOL.

Same here

Agreed, it is only the fruit I find wanting in some way that I mix together and cook. Like blueberries that are insipid sweet with blackberries that are too tart.

1 Like

I find some fruit has better flavor cooked. White Heath or Indian Cling peaches raw … uninteresting rocks. Cooked they are uniquely flavored and quite extraordinary really. Same goes for some apples. Blueberries I almost prefer cooked, and sour cherries I definitely prefer cooked.

1 Like

Blackberries, blueberries, and one green apple.

Wow. Just the opposite with me.

I ate a couple cherries today.

I love blueberry pie!

Ate a couple dozen strawberries from this potted set of white alpine strawberry plants :smiley:

I had my first apricots of the year today. My 2nd year Early Blush apricot produced 4-5 apricots, but there was only one left on the tree when I saw one on the ground today.

The one on the ground was a bagged one (which probably protected it from whatever tried to eat it). There was a damage spot on it, so I cut it up right away and it was pretty good. 16.5 brix and quite sweet. I would prefer a firmer texture, but it was still pleasant to eat. I’m glad to see one that ripe by 6/20. If there are more next year, I may try picking a few around 6/10-6/15.

2 Likes

I think that brix is far less interesting than savory (gluten) content.

Can you please elaborate? I’ve never seen anything about measuring gluten in fruit. In fact, I assumed that fruit was gluten free.