What is going on today 2017?

Your apple looks like Honey Crisp except for the leaves that look too good for a HC :smile:

5 Likes

I wanted to show my organic peaches! I’m pumped. I think I got around 100 peaches, most of great quality. This forum was a big part of that success. This is the last two days of harvest.

We had enough to eat, freeze, give to the neighbors, and make cobbler. I even let my 5 year old sell them for $.50 each from a stand in the front yard. She made good money!

17 Likes

Sweet. I would be thrilled if each of my 49 fruit trees gives me an average harvest of 100 great fruits each. Most of them are still under 5th leaf and at least 20 have been added in the last 2 or 3 years. In a couple years I’ll hopefully have a strong harvest from most of them. My girls will be thrilled to have excess fruit to sell in front of our house. Currently we freeze or give to family and friends our excess fruit.

Anthony

6 Likes

Doing some touristy stuff with the family today. We come here about ever 10 years or so. Its always a pretty sight.

6 Likes

Speed,
Where is “here”?

2 Likes

Niagara Falls. Canadian side. Photo is of the American Falls.

4 Likes

Nice. What a nice day you have had.

One of these days, we will get around to take our daughter there.

4 Likes

It’s a natural wonder of the world

3 Likes

Pretty at night as well. Wish we would have stayed in canada to see the falls at night. But american side is pretty as well

9 Likes

When I go next time, it will be on a Canadian side. My friend went in April which was still cold. She stayed at one of those chain hotels, Marriott?. She said she had the best view of the fall from the hotel lobby. No need to freeze herself.

2 Likes

One of my pawpaws was killed by ambrosia beetles this spring. I’ve seen many posts lamenting the slow growth of pawpaws, so I was really surprised to see how fast this one has bounced back. It was a fairly fast grower before, at 7’ tall in it’s fourth leaf from seed. I cut it off at the base and burned the top on May 18. Since then I’ve been diligent about cutting off all the suckers except 1, and that one has grown over 4’ over the last two months.

I’m very pleased. Looks like this tree will only be set back a year or so.

7 Likes

Milkweed in my flower bed is crawling with monarch babies.

17 Likes

Hey Doug,

I have a Paw paw that hardly grew at all for two years, then died back, then shot up a new trunk that must of grown three feet in two months. It is not a grafted variety so I know it was not the graft that died back. If anything, I would say it was happier once I gave it a shade cloth even though it only gets about 6 hours of sun per day.

2 Likes

Bloom starting on my Santa Rosa plum tree. Again. It’s not uncommon for us to have some ‘rogue’ bloom here, but this is the most I have seen – there must be around 40 flowers. 7 ft tree just produced about 125 fruit at the beginning of July. I did my summer pruning on the tree a couple of weeks ago and that may have stimulated this activity. I usually pull these off but a couple years ago let them fruit. A few did and made it all the way to a not great, but not bad plum very late in the season.

3 Likes

There’s more to just the view - the sound and vibration of the water as it hits will impact you, close up

2 Likes

I ran a couple over that I just planted this spring with the mower by accident. I thought I killed them but they grew back. It must be the long tap root that made them prevail.

1 Like

I haven’t been there in a long time. It’s been about 45 years, but I don’t remember all those rocks at the bottom. I remember a walkway under the falls but we didn’t walk it. I was just a kid. Somewhere I read that the falls erode about two foot a year, If that’s true they should look different. That would also mean the falls would be 90’ further away from the look out area. Once they get so far the artical said the hard rock that’s eroding will be gone and the water will just erode the soft ground very fast and change the lakes and everything in the area real quick.

1 Like

Today’s harvest

8 Likes

AAAARGH!

I just lost the majority of my Zestar! crop. :rage::sob::sob:

Not to squirrels or other vermin but to a malfunctioning refrigerator. I just went to get a pop out of our fridge in the garage and found that everything was frozen! That was including about 10 lbs of Zestar apples. Ugh.

I guess they will make juice or cider just fine but that was not my plan for them.

3 Likes

Unreliable machinery!

2 Likes