What is going on today 2017?

Same here. Heat index 110. Heat advisory in effect til 8PM.

1 Like

Lots of Sun Sugar and Sun Gold tomatoes along with some Romas. Had lots of cucs already (Japanese, English Telegraph and Sweet Success).
Time to harvest more blueberries too. Have to do this every 2 or 3 days.

Anthony

2 Likes

My tomatoes are loaded, cucs coming in. A couple cups of blueberries daily.
Making a blackberry-blueberry smoothie right now. Lochness blackberries are ripening, balls of sugar. Color of the smoothies is amazing! Go Spartans!

10 Likes

9 Likes

My blueberry patch (20 mature Duke-early; Bluecrop-midseason, Elliot-late & 6 small Dukes).

15 Likes

Cukes bearing only lightly, zukes not at all [yet]

Apricots, otoh - I canned 15 pints today.

6 Likes

Wow! :yum:

1 Like

Just got home from seeing one of my favorites in concert. Hank!

6 Likes

We harvested our first few cukes today. They were about 4in long, but were pretty good, with a touch of salt and pepper. I think they were Straight Eights. Lots of little cukes on the vines, so that’s good to see.

Also picked off a couple of 4-5" yellow banana peppers. They were OK. I tried a small jalapeño yesterday, and it was surprisingly mild. Looks like lots of the other peppers are starting to set a good number of fruit. I have a couple of 3ft tall Ancho Mulato plants that are finally setting some small peppers. I had to stake a bunch of the plants the last couple days as they’re getting a bit top heavy.

5 Likes

And a couple of Muscadines that never made it to the house…

Katy

17 Likes

I have some pumpkins growing in the yard for jack-o-lanterns for our 2 yr old son.

Today I noticed a lot of the nodes are sending out roots. It has been so wet I suppose the roots are happy just to grow in air. Some have started to root already.

The white thing coming from the bottom of the node is a pumpkin root.

5 Likes

Running on fumes today. Last night we were supposed to get maybe a half inch of rain as forecast on Friday. But, yesterday was incredibly humid and hot, it was like hazy, although there weren’t any clouds about. I figured we would get some rain eventually with such soupy conditions.

I went out last night about 10 to check things out, and there was some vivid lightning off to the northwest, and the radar was showing some heavy rain moving in. While we were watching the 10 o’clock news to see what the weather was supposed to be, boom, the power went out. Not surprising considering they happen quite often if the storms come from the west.

About 10 minutes later, we were hit by maybe 40mph winds and really heavy rain, while the lightning and thunder was intense. I watched the trees with my spotlight, and they were getting whipped pretty good. I heard a cracking noise like of breaking timber, but couldn’t see anything. I was thinking great, there goes our corn, which is about 5ft tall now, and the tomatoes, which are all over 3ft. I wanted to get our and inspect things, but it just kept raining, but lighter, and the wind let up.

It kept this up until maybe 2:00, with the lightning just dancing, and the thunder seemed to roll for a minute. Just a continuous rolling. I have a walkie talkie with weather radio on it, and we were getting flash flood warnings, but nothing else.Thankfully it calmed down and I managed to get to sleep, my wife didn’t, tho.

About 4 I was awoken by crashing thunder, and more vivd lightning. This time it was even more intense, and the wind was blowing the rain hard against the walls. My wife, who is not a fan of storms, is freaking out. I turned on the weather band, and it was a severe t-storm apparently rolling over us. The thunder had a sizzling sound to it, as if the lightning was hitting the hill closeby. That little storm lasted only about 15 minutes, but we got pummeled by wind and heavy rain. My mom, who is here visiting, was in the other bedroom, and was doing OK.

The Mrs went into the kitchen and stepped in some water. Apparently, our back door decided to start leaking and the rain blew in thru either a badly sealed pane of glass or the top of the door. We had to pull up the rugs and mop up the mess. I went back to bed about 4:30, she laid on the couch, with a kerosene lamp on. She put it in the sink for safety sake.

I was out again, and about 6, things were beeping, and the lights popped back on, thank God. I went back to sleep, and was woke up again about 8, but catnapped until I got up at 10.

I heard my wife yell at some deer who had just got into the cuke patch and scared it off, there was just some leaf damage. I went out to the tomato/ pepper patch, and was expecting the worst, but it actually wasn’t as bad as I imagined. Some of the tom’s were slumped over from being wet and top heavy, but none were actually blown onto the ground. I tied some up to stakes the best I could. The fishing line fence was mostly intact as well.

The corn/bean patch had a few cornstalks leaning over, but not overall not too bad. The fruit trees looked OK as well. There were some big branches laying over the driveway, from a dead tree. Those will need to be cleaned up, might have to get the tractor on that.

This is the third bad storm in as many months. We ended up getting about 2.3" of rain. We had a bad flash flood on May 25, another on June 25, and this one. I hope this isn’t going to be a pattern. I’m getting really tired of this. Last night’s storms may have been one of the most intense I’ve ever been through. The duration of the lightning and the constant pounding thunder was tremendous.

We’re getting some light rain, but it won’t last, it’s about 75 and cloudy, so not enough instability for big storms today. We need a break after a crazy night.

4 Likes

Only a 1/4 inch here, way not enough, I should have super high brix on my fruit trees, one good thing! The rain was wimpy too. More dry weather ahead too. It could rain today, cloudy all day, no rain till Thursday otherwise. At least I managed to get some rainwater for my blueberries.
I took a shot from a 2nd story window of my yard.

12 Likes

Subdood, that sounds intense. Glad you, your family and your garden got through the storm OK.

Drew51,
somehow I imagined your yard would be much larger. I guess we are alike in that “In my mind, I have acreage” but in reality I just have a good sized back yard (plus land I’m allowed to use on our neighbor’s side).

Anthony

2 Likes

I have the front too, the figs are there, like 35 of them. 3 plum trees, strawberries in containers. On the sides are 3 elderberry plants. a 12 foot row of raspberries (Main patch runs along the back fence 24 foot long), a magnolia berry vine, and 2 large currant bushes. Then I have a cherry tree at my cottage, currants, and 16 cornus mas trees (dogwood cherries).

2 Likes

It’s been very comfortable today, don’t think it’s got to 80, plus it’s been cloudy most of the day. Radar looks clear for now, but that can change in a hurry.

What do you have covered, are those peaches? I see the corn in the back along the fence. We had some stalks blown partway over, but the ground is too muddy for me to get in there and prop them back up. I guess if they’re not broken, then they should recover?

I think my Bulgarian Carrot plant got tumped over a bit, I didn’t have it staked, so that’s not a surprise. All the other big peppers are staked now. I have a Serrano plant that’s turning into a big pepper bush!
I had to sample one of those and a Padron today. Both are supposedly hot, but these were medium warm. They’d probably be hotter if they stayed on the plant longer.

I’m seeing some blossom end rot on some of the 'mater’s. Mostly on the Roma types, but some of the Beefsteak types as well. The plants sure are producing, tho. I can’t walk in between some of them, they’ve got so big and bushy. There’s a Jaune Flamme and a Girl Girl’s that have almost merged they’re so big.

The De Barao and Russian Queen are as tall as me now!

1 Like

Nectarines, Arctic Glo, ripe first week in August showing very red. Lost a couple to squirrels, so covered. The other nets are blueberries.[quote=“subdood_ky_z6b, post:1959, topic:8428”]
if they’re not broken, then they should recover?
[/quote]

I have propped them myself, but they do recover on their own too.
No rain, but still a chance. i want to spray but waiting for the rain to go away. I guess tomorrow.

1 Like

I remember when you had a lawn!

3 Likes

LOL! Yes, I did post pics when nothing much was there. I still have the front. I would like to put an island in the middle with double flowering peaches or Autumn Brilliance serviceberry.or both! The wife says no.

2 Likes

looks like my yard! moved in with sharon 5 years ago and was only grass growing. couldn’t see wasting land growing grass! now no more room for anything new unless i pull something. just planted 20 more comfrey under my big pines to help fertilize my many plants. :wink:

2 Likes